Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Duvets

mom71

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 6:47 pm
Anyone use those? If yes what kind. I want to get them. They are so much warmer and more comfortable than a regular blanket, but there are so many different kinds. What kind do yopu use?

imasinger

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 7:50 pm
I use the cheap kind I bought at an odd-lot store over a really good quilt I also bought at an odd-lot store. I love it!

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 8:15 pm
If you are ona budget I suggest Ikea. You can do really well there and EVERYTHING is 100% cotton.
Good Luck!

myprincess

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 8:16 pm
I only use duvets its so much prettier. I buy them at linen stores in my local jewish neighborhood, like linen garden, brachs... They are expensive though, you can also try www.yvesdelorme.com buy they are mighty expensive, I have 2 sets from there.

sky

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 8:54 pm
I have bought Duvets at marshal and Home Goods (if it is what I think you are reffering to - they are white and meant to be covered by a Duvet cover.)
They are significantly cheaper then at Jewish stores.

However, if you have "jewish made" full quilt covers you have to buy the duvets at a Jewish store because they are not standard size. the standard full duvets are larger.

The ones I have are filled with imitation down (I'm allergic to the real thing) and are fantastic. they are warm in the winter and comfortable (most of the time) in the summer. I also have them in my guest room and people are always commenting how yummy the quilts are.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 9:00 pm
You can buy awesome duvets at overstock.com. But do your research before the selecting one to purchase.
The imitation down one that I bought which was awesome was called Deluxe or something. I can look up the exact one if you'd like.
(But I was burned when I chose a different imitation down style another time, and did not like the other duvet at all.)
You can also buy duvet covers at overstock as well.

Ditto to sky's comment about the Jewish made duvets and duvet covers. You usually cannot mix and match the Jewish made and the regular duvets and duvet covers

myprincess

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 9:09 pm
ok I dont know if ur talking about duvet covers or the actual blanket? I need to buy in jewish stores cause I have a 48 inch bed thats custom and a full blanket. but when I ordered by yves delorme I took the one larger size and I had it fixed for me

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 9:31 pm
I bought some awesome down comforters on ebay! I have had bad luck in the past with buying down comforters from overstock.com, so I was nervous, but these ones are terrific.

If anyone is interested I can look up the name of the seller. They have more down in them, as well as a higher fill power and thread count than the most expensive ones at Bed Bath and Beyond and they were much cheaper!!

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 9:49 pm
Funny you should post this today. I was at kohl's and asked an employee near the bedding section where the duvets where and she said she had no idea what in the world a duvet is. Non jews are not as in to them as frum people, though I've never figured out why.

Tova

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 11:22 pm
Bed Bath and Beyond. We put some really nice ones on our wedding registry (my in-laws' friends and shul members wanted us to create one) and so we got them as a gift.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 1:24 am
The question is how much will you spend.

Quilts are sold based on type of filling and weight. I just bought for ds who got married 2 40% down and 60% ground feather and the price was reasonable.

There are various types of synthetic, which I feel do not come close in warmth.
There is pure down in kilo, 1200g and 1400g weights. Doubles should be at least 2kg.
There are cut or whole feathers or mixtures.

The heavier the more expensive and the more real down.

My own is 80% down, and more than 2kg double bed size but I am spoiled and do not like cold. Where I live it is very cold at night.

At least in Israel Ikea is very overpriced on bedding and linens. Their mattress prices are through the roof.

sky

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 10:16 am
ra_mom wrote:

Ditto to sky's comment about the Jewish made duvets and duvet covers. You usually cannot mix and match the Jewish made and the regular duvets and duvet covers

the twin duvets I have do fit the "Jewish" twin duvet covers. The problem I had was with the "Jewish" Full duvet covers would not fit on the standard Full duvets.

gem

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 10:25 am
ChutzPAh wrote:
Funny you should post this today. I was at kohl's and asked an employee near the bedding section where the duvets where and she said she had no idea what in the world a duvet is. Non jews are not as in to them as frum people, though I've never figured out why.

This depends where you live! In the US, I've found this same thing-- most people don't use duvets, a lot don't even know what they are. Here in Europe, almost everyone uses duvets with just a fitted sheet underneath. Duvets just don't work for me-- I like layers on my bed. I even bring a flat sheet along when I travel. (Duvets do make laundry easier, though!)

cityofgold

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 10:32 am
I bought duvet covers online from .this site, on sale--twin size.

But you can also make your own easily by sewing 2 top sheets together and putting ties or a zipper at the one end.

myprincess

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 11:56 am
gem wrote:
ChutzPAh wrote:

This depends where you live! In the US, I've found this same thing-- most people don't use duvets, a lot don't even know what they are. Here in Europe, almost everyone uses duvets with just a fitted sheet underneath. Duvets just don't work for me-- I like layers on my bed. I even bring a flat sheet along when I travel. (Duvets do make laundry easier, though!)

HI! you in Europe, I was always wondering why the linen sets in jewish stores here in NY are so expensive they always answer because its European made... now that you live there are linen sets in Europe that are made there also so expensive for you to buy? it it for real that taxes and import expenses hike up the prices or is it a good excuse? im also talking about clothing like Catimini, Deux Par Deux, Escada, Hucke and so much more. why is it that everything I pick up is always expensive cause its European.?

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 1:19 pm
I have from the linen store in crown heights (don't remember the name) tjmaxx and century 21.

My advice...go to TJMaxx, Marshalls, Home Goods, Century 21 and save yourself a small fortune!

mom71

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 3:04 pm
Thanks for the response! I was actually referring to the actual Duvets, not the Duvet covers. So it seems from some of the responses that it's not worth it to get the synthetic ones.
Isn't down - feathers, or am I really nieve. They keep on advertising "cotton" ones, but I guess I should stick to the Down or feather ones. Did I get it right??????

mom71

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 3:13 pm
sorry, just realized I spelled something wrong. I shall correct it before I get yelled at LOL I meant naive not nieve.

sympa

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 3:19 pm
We have high quality imitation-down from Golf & Co., and are very happy with it, even though it's not real. Guests love it too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics