Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Flylady - what works for you?
1  2  Next

realeez

Post Fri, May 12 2006, 5:49 pm
do you do flylady or have any other cleaning system?

if you do flylady, do you do everything she says or do you pick and choose?

do you have a cleaning schedule?

how do you balance that with children or change of routine? (like the baby doesn't nap on monday and you don't get much done or you go out at night w/ your dh and want the house to overall look neat for the babysitter rather than have all your clothes ironed or whatever)

thanks in advance!

Crayon210

Post Fri, May 12 2006, 7:19 pm
I am a big-time FlyBaby.

I am still working on the "home weekly blessing hour" in which you superficially clean (mopping, dusting, taking out garbage) in a specific timeframe.

I have a morning routine which sometimes doesn't get finished until the afternoon, but it gets done 99% of the time.

I have an evening routine which gets mostly done most of the time.

I fit my other responsibilities into my routines. For example, since I am out of the house at different times on different days, I do laundry based on when it's convenient for those days-I.e., two loads in the morning or two loads in the evening or one and one.

I am flexible and allow life to happen, though my morning and evening routines are quick enough that I don't find myself having to skip them so often. But when I do (too tired, something else comes up, etc...), I don't worry about it, tomorrow is another day!

The mentality of 15 minutes at a time, babysteps, etc., is EXTREMELY helpful, regardless of whether or not you're actually "on the system".

I get dressed fully every day and wear lace-up shoes as well. BIG help.

What else?...anything else, feel free to ask or PM.

It's a wonderful system that has changed my (and my family's!) life!

hisorerus

Post Fri, May 12 2006, 7:32 pm
I'm working on FlyLady. What's helped me the most is the clutter definitions- I've gotten rid of an unbelievable amount of stuff.

I'm working on getting my routines down pat- the days I don't do them, you can tell.... (like today).

I'm trying to do everything FlyLady says except for those that contradict Torah. I don't shine my sink on Shabbos, or get into lace-ups.

With FlyLady, flexibility is built into the system- morning and evening routines take a few minutes, you clean for 15 minutes a day, and once a week for an hour. I'm not following it all yet, but even the little I do, it's OK if the baby isn't napping- I can let him play himself for 15 minutes.

Tefila

Post Fri, May 12 2006, 9:05 pm
Quote:
or get into lace-ups.

Whats anti Torah about lace ups Scratching Head

littles

Post Sat, May 13 2006, 9:38 pm
This sounds like something I need to do. But what is flylady exactly? I have herd of it, but am not sure where to go to find out more, a website or book? Thanks for your help.

Flowerchild

Post Sat, May 13 2006, 10:07 pm
I tried flylady and I actually did not like it. I have my own thing I do, for each day I make a list of things to do beggingin from the most important to the least and go down the list and do it, I put a time frame for each task and if something doesnt get done it gets pushed to the next day, and my house is actually decent and my son helps me clean so it works for me.

realeez

Post Sat, May 13 2006, 10:46 pm
crayon, can you share your routines - morning and evening?

hisorerus, why is wearing laceups against Torah?

also, do they really get you moving?

mommy#1, when you say time frame do you mean you estimate how long it will take or that you want it done let's say b/w 10 and 11 am?

thanks everyone! Smile

Crayon210

Post Sat, May 13 2006, 10:50 pm
I will share my routines IYH later tonight or tomorrow!

hisorerus

Post Sat, May 13 2006, 11:03 pm
LOL- I meant on Shabbos I don't get into lace-ups, I get into Shabbos shoes.

Flowerchild

Post Sat, May 13 2006, 11:17 pm
mommyabc, I want it done between lets say 10 and 11, this way I consentrate only on that particular task for that particular hour or so and it gets done and than move on to the next thing etc etc.

Crayon210

Post Sun, May 14 2006, 12:31 pm
My AM Routine:

Modeh Ani/Negel Vasser
Make beds
Get dressed to shoes
Brush teeth/Wash face
Swish and Swipe in bathroom
Say brachos/tehillim
Eat something/drink something/take vitamin
Put away dry dishes
Wash any dirty dishes/clear sink
Hotspot fire drill (couch, floor, table, etc.)
*Put up a load of laundry (depends on schedule)

My Before Bed Routine:

Clear dinner table
Wash dishes/clear sink
Put out clothes for tomorrow
Bath/shower
Brush teeth/wash face
Pajamas
Clear hotspots
Fill negel vasser/krias shema (when I'm good about it Sad )
Relax, go to sleep! :-)

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, May 14 2006, 12:38 pm
I am using Flylady... It's awesome... Problem is that when the social worker comes in atthe wrong time of the month.. Kids rooms look neat but not the dining room! Smile

Crayon210

Post Sun, May 14 2006, 12:51 pm
Aw!

Have you tried a few sessions of crisis cleaning? It might help.

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, May 14 2006, 12:54 pm
difficult with three kids... that's why I like flylady...only focus on one rooma week... works good Smile

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 5:38 am
I tried doing flylady but found it so overwhelming. I understand the basic concept is to establish routines. but there is so much stuff going on on the website. where do you start!? Also I work, so how can I have a morning routine (the one you described, crayon, seems so long)?
Confused

binah918

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 6:28 am
MosheDovidsMom, I also find the website very overwhelming. I think it might be very helpful...I really need some routine and organization to get my apartment (life) in order! But I can't even figure out where to begin...I can't understand the website! Any tips...

tzivi

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 8:06 am
I personally found the book Akeres Habayis by Sara Chana Radcliff really useful. She gives a lot of excellent tips, how to motivate you to get the housework done.

chen

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 8:52 am
After a good 35 years reading books on how-to-organize-your-house-and-your-life-and-everyone-else's, I have learned that the trick is not to adopt any one book or author in toto, but to take from each what appeals to you and can work for you. None of these systems should be a straitjacket. yes, you should eventually work out some sort of general routine, but adhering to a rigid "monday wash, tuesday iron, wednesday vacuum" will not always be the best thing for you. Your routine should serve you, not vice versa!

So and so says clean one room at a time? Nice if it works for you. But if you feel better with the whole house middling-clean than with one room spotless and the rest of the house a shambles, do what makes you happy.

southernbubby

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 9:44 am
I have found that it is sometimes hard to estimate how long a job will take. It is also a problem to curtail outside demands, requests, and temptations. A long phone conversation or an invitation to go to the mall can throw everything off schedule. I never logged onto flylady because this website uses enough of my time. I did always find it hard to stick to a schedule when I had young kids at home because there were numerous interruptions. Some people are naturally fast and efficient. They can be on the phone and cooking for 50 people and keeping an eye on the baby all at the same time. They can't go to sleep at night until everything is back in place. I never had that ability.
I think that we who don't have the ability to move quickly and multi-task need to set priorities. We can't join one more committee or extend ourselves to one more cause. We can't have complicated friendships that upsurp our time. We can't have messy hobbies (I sew and it is messy), and expect the rest of the house to be clean.
I think that some of the organized ladies accept that the sewing will be taken to the dressmaker and there are bakeries for a reason. They may know what to delegate and what to do themselves.

chen

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 12:32 pm
MDM, binah, flylady gets on my nerves, too. Besides the fact that I couldn't care less if my sink shines or not (plain dumb clean is good enough for me, thanks) I find the site too busy, too wordy, and too preachy. There's something that strikes me as vaguely cult-like about it, too.

For my money, you're better off getting a book that you can read chapter by chapter and select what appeals to you. Better yet, take out multiple books and select the best from each. That's what public libraries are for.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry