Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Tofu

happy

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 5:23 pm
Anyone here cook with tofu. Care to share tips?

elisecohen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 6:59 pm
All the time. What do you like--braised, fried, deep fried, crumbled, baked....depends on how you like it. My picky dd will eat it braised in miso, or fried (just with Pam) til crispy, or crumbled mixed in sauce with noodles. There are whole cookbooks devoted to tofu cookery!

happy

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 8:14 pm
I used it in stir fry and my kids didn't like it. they said it was too soft. I bought the firm. should I have bought the extra firm. Is that what you use.
How else would you use it?

elisecohen

Post Fri, Feb 17 2006, 7:29 am
My dd only likes it in stir fry if I do fry it pretty brown first. Firm or extra firm will work; it even comes now pre-cubed in little bite sized pieces. We eat it stir fried with noodles, nuts and/or veggies; crumbled in pasta dishes (like you would use ricotta cheese); coated in sesame seeds or crumbs and baked or browned in nuggets; and cooked in the crockpot with miso. I know plain old little white soft cubes can be pretty daunting to kids as their first introduction! I'd try the nuggets for them to dip in ketchup if you really want them to give tofu a good try (assuming they like that kind of thing). I'll post a recipe or 2 later but right now my 1 year old is having a hissy fit in the other room....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics