Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning Jewelry

Chanie

Post Tue, Feb 21 2006, 5:03 pm
How do you keep your jewelry nice and shiny?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 21 2006, 5:16 pm
I have an ultrasonic, but you can use plain ammonia.

chen

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 11:04 am
By not wearing it LOL actually, jewelry does need to be worn to keep from tarnishing, as even karat gold will oxidize if not worn for a very, very long time.

But, seriuosly, I take jewelry off b4 doing housework, or taking a shower. I take rings off b4 putting on lotion (except when I forget shock ). I used to clean my diamond with toothpaste and a toothbrush till a jeweler told me that this can dull the stone, or damage or loosen the setting, I forgot which.

ultrsonic cleaners can eventually loosen stones. briefly soaking in a little diluted soapy ammonia is ok for gold and diamonds but not silver or soft stones like turquoise, pearls and opals. after soaking and rinsing in water, you can dip in rubbing alcohol and let air dry.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 11:10 am
Before Tishrei and Pesach, I used to take the stuff I wore very often to have cleaned at the jeweler's for me!

It looked amazing!!!!!

red sea

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 12:16 pm
take it in to get cleaned at the jewelers now and then, the stuff they sell that dips it into a liquid solution works well, but so does toothpaste with a toothbush.

lucky

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 11:56 pm
I remember someone saying that she puts her diamond ring into a boiling pot of water.
I clean with hot water and ammonia and some dishsoap. But nothing beats a proffessional polishing. (they cost plenty though.)

cindy324

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 10:29 am
does anyone know where I can buy one of those small containers of jewelry cleaner solution? I can't find it anywhere. I live in Boro Park BTW.

also , do you take starigh up ammonia? Do you mix it with anything?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 12:08 pm
you don't have to mix the ammonia w/anything.

Yael

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 3:17 pm
go to birks in fairveiw mall, they offer free cleaning just for coming into the store!!

lucky

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 9:33 am
I would be very careful about cleaning jewelry proffessionaly. There were cases where stones were switched, so only do it at a reputable place.

chen

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 11:55 am
also some professional polishing is actually a bit harsh and may remove a lot of gold. My ring had some deep scratches like dents. they polished it (ground it down) so much, they removed most of the design on the other side.Sigh. The scratches didn't bother me--I just wanted it cleaned and brightened up a bit!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry