Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Question for experienced kippa crocheters

Zus

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 6:34 pm
I have a question for the experienced kippa crocheters among you.
How do you prevent the contrasting colors to 'shine through' when you're doing the pattern along the edge? I mean the color(s) you're not using at that moment.
Because of the shaping, the stitches are being pulled apart so far that the other colors are always disturbing the pattern, if I'm making myself clear.
So, what do I do so that that won't happen?

su7kids

Post Mon, Mar 09 2009, 7:27 pm
I think you may be shaping too much then. How do you add stitches? Also, dependingo n the pattern, you should be DONE the shaping by the time you get to the pattern on the edge.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 10 2009, 12:39 am
(1) What thread are you using?
(2) What size crochet hook are you using?
(3) Are you making sure to incorporate the contrasting colors? They need to be in the same place the color you are using is, if you understand what I mean. How many colors are there? If there are more than 3 or 4 at one time, I can't tell you (I would cut them when not using- that's what I did for DH's wedding kippa which has a many-colored dugma)
(4) Are the stitches too loose?

Zus

Post Tue, Mar 10 2009, 2:06 am
Tamiri wrote:
(1) What thread are you using?
(2) What size crochet hook are you using?
(3) Are you making sure to incorporate the contrasting colors? They need to be in the same place the color you are using is, if you understand what I mean. How many colors are there? If there are more than 3 or 4 at one time, I can't tell you (I would cut them when not using- that's what I did for DH's wedding kippa which has a many-colored dugma)
(4) Are the stitches too loose?

(1) DMO nr 10.
(2) right now a 1.5. I also sometimes use a nr 1 and it makes no difference.
(3) Yeah I'm incorporating them, but maybe not in the right way? How can they be in the same place the color I'm using is in? That one I'm pulling through etc. And that goes 'around' the colors I'm not using.
(4) Yes the stitches are loose, that's because they are being stretched. But the kippa wouldn't have the right shape if they wouldn't be stretched at that point.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 10 2009, 5:03 pm
How many colors?
They should all be in a "line" and the color you are using goes tightly around them. They should not be loose - rather, the same as the rest of the kippa, and stretch the kippa every so often so the dugma doensn't make it mechukmak.

Zus

Post Tue, Mar 10 2009, 5:08 pm
Yeah I do that. I have 3 colors (1 basic, 2 pattern).

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 10 2009, 5:10 pm
Is the kippa a very light color such as white or barely beige, and the contrasting dugma colors very dark such as evergreen, black, navy blue etc?

Zus

Post Tue, Mar 10 2009, 5:20 pm
No it's the other way round. The kippa is navy (it's for DS, so you won't see every little dirt LOL ), and the contrasting colors are gold and beige.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Mar 10 2009, 5:22 pm
Oto hadavar. Try and make the stitches as tight as possible. When you are done with the kippa, wet with cold water. As it dries, it should shrink a little and maybe close the gaps.
I can't remember any particular problem with these colors. Then again, the last kippa I ever made with nice thin thread and a tiny crochet hook was for my wedding I think (gulp 25 years).

Zus

Post Tue, Mar 10 2009, 5:25 pm
I'm afraid that it will cup too much if I make the stitches too tight.

cubbie

Post Tue, Mar 10 2009, 5:27 pm
Are you changing colours at the right time? ie in the middle of the stitch when you have 2 loops on your hook? if you change after the stitch you always get a shaddow.
What size thread is dmo 10 is it a standard kippah thread - I always use VOG kippah chut - if it's standard sized thread, that's a big hook, the best size is a 0.75 and then the stitches are nice and tight, I wouldn't worry too much about shaping while you are doing the pattern you can iron it into shape once it's done.

Zus

Post Tue, Mar 10 2009, 5:31 pm
VOG is nr 8, this is a nr 10, just a bit thicker.
Yeah I change in the right place.

immaa

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 12:12 pm
if you are worried about them being cuppy just iron them afterwards!

creativemommyto3

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 12:16 pm
Mine gets crinkled b/c I seem to increase too much. My cousin wants me to make one for him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics