Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Tough Steaks...any advice?

soonamommy

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 6:39 pm
I've been making rib and chuck steaks for a little over a year now. Recently they've been coming out on the tough side...edible and yummy, but not soft and melt-in-your-mouth as I'd like them to be. Any advice?

I'm cooking them on the stove in a roaster pot on a smallish flame for 1/2 hour, then flipping them, and cooking them for another 1/2 on the second side. The liquid in the pot barely reaches the tops of the sides of the steak...it doesn't cover it.

And while we're at it, if you have any yummy recipes for steak, please share them!

TIA

stem

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 7:54 pm
Try marinating the steak for a few hours, or even overnight before cooking them. When I marinate, the steaks come out melt-in-the-mouth good. Tongue Out

trafficgal

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 8:06 pm
we spice with salt, pepper, garlic and then broil on each side for 10-15min... usually comes out good but not really consistent

mamale

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 8:08 pm
SPread ketchup and onion soup mix on steak (both sides), wrap tightly in heavy-duty foil, place seam side down on cookie sheet and bake in oven @350 for 1 1/2 or more hours. Delicious and extra soft.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 7:31 am
I COOK STEAKS FOR A MINIMUM OF 3 HOURS AND KEEP ON TURNING THEM OVER EVERY HOUR OR SO. IT COMES OUT MELT IN THE MOUTH.... SOFT, TASTY AND DELICIOUS.

I FIRST SAUTE ONION RINGS, THEN ADD THE STEAK ON TOP AND LET ALL THE NATURAL JUICES OF THE STEAK COME OUT (ABOUT HALF AN HOUR OR LESS) THEN I ADD THE WATER AND SEASONING (PAPRIKA POWDER, GARLIC POWDER AND A DASH OF PEPPER) I BRING UP THE FLAMES, THEN SIMMER FOR AT LEAST 3 HOURS.

TRY IT AND SEE THE DIFFERENCE!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 8:01 am
Place a layer of sliced onions on the bottom of a pan, put a bit of soy sauce, salt and pepper on the steaks and add unpeeled cloves of garlic.

I think the key to SOFTNESS, is baking it covered for about 20-30 minutes, on 350, then uncovering and broiling 15 minutes to give it the crispy outer layer.

It also depends greatly on the meat....if it's a good cut...it will come out great no matter what you do to it.

Enjoy!!

soonamommy

Post Thu, Mar 09 2006, 9:42 am
Thanks to everyone for answering. Some great ideas in here!

Can someone tell me how to broil a steak? I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it.

And we are all talking about steaks under 1 lb, right? Cuz I can't imagine what it would taste like after 3 hours on the flame, but just wanted to make sure we're on the same page before I give it a go.

Thanks again!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics