Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Need help re nursing

hinda

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 6:21 pm
I need some info re nursing
1. What nursing pillow or supports did you use to nurse?
2.Id love comments on tandem feeding vs feeding one at a time.Id like to know your most helpful hints that got you through
3.Coverage-how can you be tznius when feeding two at once?What are the best coverings?BOught some nightgowns that aren't officially nursing nightgowns in Ny,but they open enough to expose one side at a time-not two-how do you do it?Should I just sleep in my husbands undershirts or what??What is best for easy access and convenience-button downs?pullovers?/or what?/

malky613

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 10:44 pm
1. What nursing pillow or supports did you use to nurse?

I used and loved the "EZ-2-Nurse Twins" pillow, available at http://www.doubleblessings.com.....o=271.

I've heard from some that this pillow does not work as well for very petite (and small breasted) women.

2.Id love comments on tandem feeding vs feeding one at a time.
Id like to know your most helpful hints that got you through

It's physically easier to feed one at a time but not recommended because that is all you will be doing. Nurse both at once, with each emptying one side completely. Switch sides with each feeding if you feel one side is more plentiful or if one twin has a stronger suck. If not, and you feel one nurses better from one side for whatever reason, don't worry about it -- stick with what works.

I had to supplement with formula at some point -- no matter how much I pumped to increase my supply, at about 4 months they were no longer statisfied with me alone. Rather than give one child a breast and one formula, I started them both on me and then finished off with formula. It only lasted until 5 months... then my supply decreased drastically almost overnight and I had to go with formula all the way... I still miss it but at least now my twins are on milk -- they've passed the 1-year mark, B"H. (I hate how bad formula smells...)

Some people like to nurse one twin and give the other a bottle, alternating at each feeding. If you do it that way, put both on the nursing pillow and give the bottle to the baby in that same close position.

My most helpful hint would be LANOLIN -- you will be nursing (and/or pumping) so much, you will need it. Especially if these are your first and you have to get used to nursing to begin with. Also, make sure you are taking probiotics so that you avoid thrush, especially if you had / will have a c-section or if your twins are/were in the NICU. Finally, make sure you have a good lactation consultant who you meet in person and who you can call on the phone when questions arise.

Most important is to be patient with yourself and your babies.

3.Coverage-how can you be tznius when feeding two at once?
What are the best coverings?BOught some nightgowns that aren't
officially nursing nightgowns in Ny,but they open enough to expose
one side at a time-not two-how do you do it?Should I just sleep in
my husbands undershirts or what??What is best for easy access
and convenience-button downs?pullovers?/or what?/

I used a regular tank top with a shelf bra, underneath a top with buttons or snaps down the front or a low v-neck. I was able to pull the tank top down on both sides at once and have pretty good side coverage with the top above it on either side. When I had to be tznius I used a light blankie -- though it only worked once the babies were in position. I think it's impossible to get into position while being completely tznius, or at least I could not find a way...

B'hatzlacha! Please let us know what you feel works best for you!

Feel free to post/PM any additional or more specific questions....

twinmom2

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 10:53 pm
I enjoyed nursing most when I began nursing one baby each feeding and giving the other baby a bottle and then switching at the next feeding. When I nursed both together( very infrequently!!!) I found it very hard to remain tznius! Just kick everyone out of the room. I also used that nursing pillow though what really worked best for me was to nurse on baby in the football hold propped with some pillows and at the same time nurse the other one in the cradel hold with the feet under the first babies head. The pillow was great when they were small and my husband was giving both of them a bottle at the same time and I got a short break! Good luck - it may be a little difficult but try to enjoy!

hinda

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 4:35 pm
Your replies have been super helpful.I hope if anyone has something to add,they will chime in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more