Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Jello fruit cake

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 4:22 am
does anyone know where I can find a recipe for a jello fruit cake? I looked in a few of my cookbooks but could not find any such recipe.

I know that such a thing exists because I ate it once, maybe 15 years ago.

drumjj

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 4:28 am
why dont you google it?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 4:34 am
drumjj wrote:
why dont you google it?
I did and I could not find what I was looking for. I guess I can search some more.

aussiegal

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 4:49 am
is it actually a cake, or just jello with fruit pieces? my mother used to make jello according to the package instructions, and then pour it into a bundt pan and pour tinned fruit into that and then let it set. is that what you are talking about?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 4:52 am
aussiegal wrote:
is it actually a cake, or just jello with fruit pieces? my mother used to make jello according to the package instructions, and then pour it into a bundt pan and pour tinned fruit into that and then let it set. is that what you are talking about?
aaaahhhhhh, thats probably what I was talking about. I saw it in my head, sort of what I remebmered, but what you wrote makes much more sense.
ok, so what fruits go inside?

aussiegal

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 4:58 am
I think we used to have it with just tinned peaches. but I'm sure u can do other stuff, just has to be sweet fruit.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 5:00 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
aussiegal wrote:
aaaahhhhhh, thats probably what I was talking about. I saw it in my head, sort of what I remebmered, but what you wrote makes much more sense.

My Bubby used to make this.
I think it would depend on the type of jello, it was either grapes, pears, pineapple, strawberry, maybe apple also. I don't remember which fruit went with which kind of jello though (I think the last time she made this, was some time during the 1980's).
edit:
To be fancy you could do them in individual glasses (ice cream glasses, or champagne, or whatever you have on hand).
WARNING: if the last time you had this was more than ten years ago, try to remember if you REALLY liked it. Because I seem to remember the fruit got very soggy (maybe those were the pears).

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 5:16 am
chanchy123 wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
aussiegal wrote:

My Bubby used to make this.
I think it would depend on the type of jello, it was either grapes, pears, pineapple, strawberry, maybe apple also. I don't remember which fruit went with which kind of jello though (I think the last time she made this, was some time during the 1980's).
edit:
To be fancy you could do them in individual glasses (ice cream glasses, or champagne, or whatever you have on hand).
WARNING: if the last time you had this was more than ten years ago, try to remember if you REALLY liked it. Because I seem to remember the fruit got very soggy (maybe those were the pears).
thanks for the tip. I dont remember but I know that my husband went to the store the other day and came home with jello and asked me to make something with it Smile so I want to surprise him for shabbat with this jello fruit thing. I think I have strawberry jello so any sweet fruit would work, right? or would it be better to use things like pineapple?

chanchy123

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 5:27 am
I would go for a contrasting color - my pick would be pineapple.

This thread is making me so nostalgic, I just got an email, with a pic of me and my Bubby and Zaidy when I was about two. She was very sick for many many years before she passed away, and this thread and that pic brought back the days when she was more or less well.

katb

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 5:52 am
Also wait until it has set a little before putting the fruit in (maybe half an hour?) or else all the fruit sinks to the bottom. On the TV shows they make really posh jellies (that's what we call them in the UK) from scratch using gelatine and chapmagne with fruit in e.g. strawberries or raspberries. They make them in a loaf tin or something and then slice them up, and they are just clear jelly with fruit - it looks quite impressive

sarahd

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 6:41 am
I wouldn't use pineapple if you want a firm jello. There's an enzyme in the pineapple that breaks down the jello.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 9:14 am
sarahd wrote:
I wouldn't use pineapple if you want a firm jello. There's an enzyme in the pineapple that breaks down the jello.
so what fruits should I use if I have strawberry jello.

boruchhashem

Post Thu, Sep 03 2009, 9:47 am
It usually goes well with pineapple. You can omit 1/2 cup of water so it will be firmer. Also sometimes we added fruit cocktail from the can. It is a variety of fruits.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins