Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Edible salad bowl or other nice presentation?

muffinsmommy

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 6:38 am
I would like to make a chicken caesar salad or steak salad as an entree for Rosh Hashanah. Does anyone have any ideas for nice presentation? I once ate by someone who served it in an edible salad bowl made of eggroll skin baked in a special shaper thing. I don't have the shaper pans though... Any other ideas?

pinktichel

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 6:55 am
I use either egg roll skins or wraps and put it on a sprayed upside down ramekin/pyrex dish. Bake for a few minutes until golden. Easy and looks beautiful.

SleepingBeauty

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 6:39 am
pink, do they have eggroll wrappers here, or do you just use the cigar wrappers? I want a dough similiar to wonton dough...

pinktichel

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 6:42 am
I brought them from America. Haven't seen them here. I just made the edible bowls using wraps.
(Btw, do I know you or did you just figure out where I live? Just curious... Very Happy )

SleepingBeauty

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 6:45 am
don't know you at all, just figured.

You could buy the cigar wrappers and use that for the edible bowls, works great too. I want the wonton dough, to deep-fry in strips to have on the table with a dip.

oh well...

pinktichel

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 6:50 am
SleepingBeauty wrote:
don't know you at all, just figured.

You could buy the cigar wrappers and use that for the edible bowls, works great too. I want the wonton dough, to deep-fry in strips to have on the table with a dip.

oh well...

I have tons... feel free to come by and get some (dunno where u live, but I live in middle of nowhere!)
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

SleepingBeauty

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 6:58 am
Thanx, you're being so helpful!

I really would come by, but I live in the center (for chutzniks) in Yerushalayim.
what else do you bring back to Israel?
Do the wontons not defrost and get mushy till they arrive here?

Seraph

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 7:01 am
If you make torillas (I can get you a recipe) and roll them out, you can deep fry them and make a bowl by using a ladle to push down the middle... I never did it but my friend does all the time.

pinktichel

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 7:02 am
SleepingBeauty wrote:
Thanx, you're being so helpful!

I really would come by, but I live in the center (for chutzniks) in Yerushalayim.
what else do you bring back to Israel?
Do the wontons not defrost and get mushy till they arrive here?

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding...I don't live in Israel. (Wish I did!!!!!!! ) Perhaps someone else can help you find what u need?
My Dh packed them really well so while they did defrost, they refroze just fine.

str82thepoint

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 7:04 am
I have a homemade recipe for eggrolls, the wrap is kind of like a thick blintz. I wonder if you could do the same thing with that and bake it....

Just a thought.

SleepingBeauty

Post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 7:39 am
thnx all of you!
I'll just BUY! No more patience for making stuff from scratch...

sky

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 2:26 pm
does anyone think I can freeze the baked egg roll bowls.

shanie5

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 3:21 pm
No, I think they will get soggy. How long in advance do you want to make them?

shoemaker

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 3:51 pm
I would not freeze it, it a crispy thing so rather leave it out, when do u want to use it?

Last edited by shoemaker on Mon, Dec 19 2011, 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

WaterKissed

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 3:53 pm
I would definately freeze it, but then Don't Defrost when you take it out of the oven. Put it straight into the oven while still frozen, It should be Perfect!

sky

Post Mon, Dec 19 2011, 6:33 pm
I would like to do it a week in advance. But if that wouldn't work then I could do it 3 days in advance, but not closer. Would you just leave it on the counter.

lollygirl

Post Wed, Jan 18 2012, 2:21 pm
sky wrote:
I would like to do it a week in advance. But if that wouldn't work then I could do it 3 days in advance, but not closer. Would you just leave it on the counter.

You can do it up to 1 week in advance as long as it's stored in air-tight containers.

sky

Post Thu, Jan 19 2012, 7:42 pm
I did it a few days in advance and put them in a big box and then in a garbage bag. There were like 60 of them. I froze the left overs and they look pretty good in the freezer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics