Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Oats -> breakfast oatmeal, how?
Previous  1  2

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 1:27 pm
For my kids I just parboil milk and add the oats. (For myself I do 1/2 water and 1/2 milk.)

I do not add any salt or sugar and we love it this way. If you can, try to introduce it without the extra sugar and your kids will get used to eating it that way.

If I would allow, my kids could eat it several times a day every day!

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 1:58 pm
curlytop, if you have the same oats I do, which you probably do considering where I got mine from, here's what I do:
pour oats in bowl
pour in water (even cold!)
mix
add in applesauce - for the baby I use plain unsweetened, for my 3 year old I put in strawberry applesauce

presto...30 seconds later my kids are happily munching and asking for more

good luck!

ray family

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 6:41 pm
I like to boil milk add the oats w/ some brown sugar
s/t add a diced apple and cinnamon
my babies like it w/ mashed banana
my dh just pours boiling water over the quick cook type and throws in raisins (or he used to when they weren't infested) and some sugar
these days if I'm lazy and bec. dd is allergic to milk I also pour the water on top ds get some milk and dd some soy milk.
if it's a special day I'll give the kids 2-3 choc chips to put inside (after ds saw me eating my oatmeal that way he wants to eat his that way as well)

Happy Mom

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 6:59 pm
Oatmeal lends itself to so many yummy variations - you got lots of great ideas already. Below are some of the recipes our family enjoys:

http://vibrantmoms.com/recipes/amish-oatmeal/
http://vibrantmoms.com/recipes/baked-oatmeal/
http://vibrantmoms.com/recipes.....cipe/
http://vibrantmoms.com/homemak.....ning/

soldat

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 8:45 pm
here is my recipe

put equal amounts milk, water, and old fashioned oats into a pot
boil,
lower flame until it thickens somewhat
add brown sugar and vanilla

I put a spoon of peanut butter into my bowl

momofboys

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 8:51 pm
My husband eats the one minute type, he takes hot water straight from the perculator and adds cinnamon . he thinks its great and easy that way.

curlytop

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 10:13 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
curlytop, if you have the same oats I do, which you probably do considering where I got mine from, here's what I do:
pour oats in bowl
pour in water (even cold!)
mix
add in applesauce - for the baby I use plain unsweetened, for my 3 year old I put in strawberry applesauce

presto...30 seconds later my kids are happily munching and asking for more

good luck!

Yup I do, they were sitting here, I've been buying the instant breakfast oatmeal like a loser, now that I made it this morning it was a real hit that's the end of the store bought! So glad I ran out.
I'd rather add the milk than the applesauce, my daughter refuses to drink it so if I can get it this way, I am more than happy.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 7:28 am
I found these two oatmeal recipes in a low fat cookbook & they are both really yummy. I make them when I'm looking for a change from my regular breakfast.

Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal

1/2 cup old fashioned oats (or quick cooking oats, and just reduce the cooking time)
3/4 cup water or milk
1/2 tsp. lemon extract (adds an incredible flavor!)
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt
3 T. fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, defrosted
1 tsp. honey (or a bit more, to taste)
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 packet splenda or sugar to taste (optional)

Combine oats, lemon & vanilla extract, salt, & 3/4 cup water or milk in a microwave safe bowl. Stir and then microwave on high for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in blueberries, honey, and lemon zest, and sugar or splenda if using. Serve immediately. Mmmmm.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal

1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats (or quick cooking & reduce cooking time)
1 packet hot cocoa mix (or sugar free hot cocoa mix)
2 tsp. peanut butter
pinch of salt
3/4 c. milk or water

Whisk all ingredients in a medium microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir and serve immediately. This is heavenly. (Especially when made with regular hot cocoa mix & not sugar free.)

sky

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 12:03 pm
greeneyes wrote:

Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal

1/2 cup old fashioned oats (or quick cooking oats, and just reduce the cooking time)
3/4 cup water or milk
1/2 tsp. lemon extract (adds an incredible flavor!)
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt
3 T. fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries, defrosted
1 tsp. honey (or a bit more, to taste)
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 packet splenda or sugar to taste (optional)

Combine oats, lemon & vanilla extract, salt, & 3/4 cup water or milk in a microwave safe bowl. Stir and then microwave on high for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in blueberries, honey, and lemon zest, and sugar or splenda if using. Serve immediately. Mmmmm.

Thanks Greeneyes - I made this and it really came out great. I quadrupled the recipe and made it in a pot for the family and everyone enjoyed.

curlytop

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 12:14 pm
greeneyes wrote:

Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal

1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats (or quick cooking & reduce cooking time)
1 packet hot cocoa mix (or sugar free hot cocoa mix)
2 tsp. peanut butter
pinch of salt
3/4 c. milk or water

Whisk all ingredients in a medium microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir and serve immediately. This is heavenly. (Especially when made with regular hot cocoa mix & not sugar free.)

This looks interesting, I may try this tomorrow.
Is it very peanut-butter-y?

greeneyes

Post Wed, Sep 30 2009, 12:26 pm
You can easily adjust the peanut butter to suit your tastes. To me, it had the perfect amount of peanut butter.

Glad you liked the lemon blueberry recipe. Smile

nylon

Post Fri, Oct 23 2009, 3:23 pm
Steel cut oatmeal cooks very nicely in a crockpot (though keeping a crockpot for milchigs is probably something most people don't do). I like to cook it with milk rather than water, then in the morning add fruit, some sugar/honey/syrup, cinnamon, and a little butter or cream.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals