Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Drinks and pees a lot.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 10:52 pm
DD turned 4 in June. She is always thirsty (mostly before bed) and really drinks A LOT of water. (but then again, so do I) She's potty trained during the day, which is a considerable feat since she ALWAYS has to go but at night it's still impossible. In fact, she soaks through 2-3 pull ups every night. We've tried not letting her drink after dinner but it's really hot and dry where we live and she's REALLY thirsty. I mean, when I let her get a glass of water she finishes a whole glass and asks for more. I just feel REALLY cruel denying her water.

Her father is diabetic (type 1) so that's obviously the first thing that popped into my head. But her ped had us do a glucose and A1C test and they was fine. She even did that other test that checks for insulin antibodies, which is supposed to predict whether you are at risk for type 1 in the next few years and even that came back negative...

I don't know if to worry or not, if to do anything about it or not...
Anyone go through something like this??

bubby

Post Tue, Oct 27 2009, 11:16 pm
Yes, I did when DD was little. She's a mom herself & still drinks a lot. Maybe it's just the way your DD is. If you've ruled out diabetes which was my first thought, I wouldn't worry. Maybe it's time to start lifting her a few times a night & train her. Also, check the sodium levels of what she eats. If you can cut that down perhaps she won't be as thirsty.

willow

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 5:37 am
My dd also drinks tons of water. But I know she is ok because I also always drank a lot. So we pee a lot too:)

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 9:24 am
Some kids have small bladders. that is OK. by age 6 or 7 most can learn to hold it through the night, or wake up from the urge. I would try to take her to the bathroom one or two times a night to help her. But that does not guarantee that she will be dry in the morning either.

Small bladders and deep sleeping is a problem for many kids this age. Being that she has already been screened for health issues, I would just let it be. She will outgrow it eventually.

louche

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 10:09 am
Tho' it's inconvenient, be glad she has the drinking habit. Most people do not drink enough water for optimal health, and many more conditions can be traced to drinking too little water than to drinking too much.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 10:16 am
You could see a homeopath. I understand that thirst is related to other things.

Imhappy!

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 10:51 am
since you ruled out diabietes I wouldn't worry too much. check it again in a month or so b/c some things just develope with time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics