Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is a portable heart monitor Muktzah?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 5:04 pm
My cardiologist hooked me up today to a portable heart monitor which I'm to wear for a month shock I wear it around my neck on a lanyard, under my clothes, & there are 3 electronic leads stuck on my skin on those things they use in hospital, like for an EKG. If I get an attack I have to store the info by pressing a button & then phoning it through to the technical people. I have to wear it 24/7.

My DH says I can't leave the house on Shabbos. I'll go insane: I go to Shul every week. IF I get an attack I could wait to phone it through till Motzoi Shabbos, but I would have to store the info so they can see what's going on.

Has anyone had this situation & asked a Shailoh? I want to be told I can wear it out the house Wink (I know I'd have to store the info if I get pain on Shabbos.) I will ask the Rav, but I don't want to be housebound for a month. Before I get to him (he's not available right now) I just want to know if any amothers have any information.

Thanks.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 6:11 pm
My husband had a chemo pump and was allowed to leave the house no problem. Definitely ask! I'm not sure what the issue would be about leaving your house. Why would it make a difference if you stay home?
Diabetic with insulin pumps can leave their house also...

amother

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 9:06 pm
there's no eruv where we live...I'm not sure if it's considered carrying. I put a call in to the Rav but he's not available till tomorrow. It's OK, still plenty of time before Shabbos!

Rodent

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 1:44 am
I had this exact question! Mine wasn't for as long but was put on by the cardiologist on Friday afternoon and we had no eruv. I had arranged to eat out and had nothing suitable at home even. I was given a heter and allowed to go out. The rabbi did say, however, that it would have been preferable that I not if I had had the appropriate stuff at home.

Still probably better that you ask your own rabbi since you had more notice to prepare food etc.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 9:03 am
Just spoke to the Rav...he asked if it was an alarm or a monitor & said it's fine, I can go outside on Shabbos & he gave me a beautiful Bracha. Thanks, girls, for your comments.

abismommy

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 9:18 am
Glad it will work for you, and I hope your dr. gets to the bottom of the problem.
Just as an aside, I have a friend who wears an insulin pump. She can do whatever she needs to on Shabbos with the pump & her blood glucose monitor but for the rest of the family, unless it's an emergency, these items are muktzah and they are off-limits.
Refuah Sheleima!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions