Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Freezing unbaked ziti

lst

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 3:30 am
Is it ok to freeze ziti before it's baked? I have noodles made already that I don't need, and I also happen to have a lot of cottage cheese that I will not finish before the sell by date. If I prepare ziti, freeze it, and then defrost and bake it, will it be ok? Or is it better to bake it first, then freeze?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 3:36 am
lst wrote:
Is it ok to freeze ziti before it's baked? I have noodles made already that I don't need, and I also happen to have a lot of cottage cheese that I will not finish before the sell by date. If I prepare ziti, freeze it, and then defrost and bake it, will it be ok? Or is it better to bake it first, then freeze?
I think you should bake it first. I am just thinkling about the noodles and that they may get very hard and cold and that might make it easier for them to break. I have made ziti and frozen it for a long time. I think thats better.

lst

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 3:39 am
thats what I thought, thanks

moms love

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 4:01 am
I frreeze it all the time unbaked.It is fine.

elf123

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 6:41 am
Add another vote for totally fine unbaked. Don't forget, it's not like you're freezing raw noodles, the noodles are already cooked. You just haven't baked them together with the cheese, sauce etc. Otherwise you have to bake it twice and it might be overdone. Just cover the top with plastic wrap, then cover in foil and freeze in a freezer Ziploc-type bag. When you want to serve it, I've read that it's better to defrost it overnight in the fridge, then you don't need to bake it for such a long time. Take off the plastic wrap, put the foil back and bake. You can uncover for the last 15 minutes if you like. I have also done this without defrosting it first, just put it straight from the freezer into the oven, and it's fine, just takes a lot longer to be ready.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 11:10 am
elf123 wrote:
Add another vote for totally fine unbaked. Don't forget, it's not like you're freezing raw noodles, the noodles are already cooked. You just haven't baked them together with the cheese, sauce etc. Otherwise you have to bake it twice and it might be overdone. Just cover the top with plastic wrap, then cover in foil and freeze in a freezer Ziploc-type bag. When you want to serve it, I've read that it's better to defrost it overnight in the fridge, then you don't need to bake it for such a long time. Take off the plastic wrap, put the foil back and bake. You can uncover for the last 15 minutes if you like. I have also done this without defrosting it first, just put it straight from the freezer into the oven, and it's fine, just takes a lot longer to be ready.
not all lasagna noodles are pre cooked.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 11:13 am
OP mentioned that she already cooked the noodles.
I too would freeze it raw in such a case.

lst

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 1:13 pm
ok, trying it unbaked. thanks everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals