Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Would you trust a hairdresser with your sheitel?

Rochelro

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 12:19 pm
There is somebody who just moved to my community who is a very good hairdresser.
She recently became frum and the place where she lived before had no frum people so no sheitels.
I would like to bring her my sheitel to cut- she says she could.
My question is if you know how to cut hair do you automatically know how to cut a sheitel or are there certain things you need to know? Maybe its a silly question but I am just making sure- don't want her to mess it up!

levial

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 12:51 pm
I had someone who was not frum cut a sheitel when I was in an OOT place. It was ok, but she didn't have the perspective of a frummie who might have the frum style in mind (anything from that cookie cutter bob some of us have, to those youthful looking longer locks). It was an ok cut, but she also straightened the sheitel on my head to cut it perfectly. In short...it was done to short.

I had someone who became frum who was a hairdresser, but she had been in Brooklyn and worked at a sheitel shop, so she kinda knew the ins and outs of what length and why (as in , you might want to start longer, so you can style it for a simcha, as opposed to "how do you like your real hair cut?" and mimicing it).

If there is no one else, you have little choice...

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 1:05 pm
I would only hire someone who has the experience on wigs. Frum or not. And davka I don't like the cookie cutter "frum" cuts!

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 21 2009, 5:18 pm
interestingly so my sister - a hair stylist - was asked to cut someone's sheitel and her first reaction was - you know it doesn't grow back ... and then she did it and it came out great ...

so imho it depends on how meticulous the person listens to what you want - because yeah the hair doesn't grow back ...

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Dec 22 2009, 9:15 pm
Hairdressers have a tendency to cut too short. Hair cutting is done so it looks its best 2-3 weeks later, as it grows in. Shaitel cutting is a whole other art.

Its better to cut 2 times, then once too short.

shiradye

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 12:05 pm
As a shaitelmacher, I get to hear all the horror stories. A friend was in Manhattan & she needed a quick wash & set. She gave it to a salon & ran into Filene's for 45 min.s. She comes back and the shaitel is cut! The hairstylist says "Oh, I gave you the Hillary look. Your style was so out." To which she responded, "If Hillary was so attractive, why does her husband look elsewhere?" And she had to pay $175 for the cut to boot. Her $2000 Shevy! So, if you already plunked down the money for your wig, get the best cut you can afford by the people who come recommended and know what they are doing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics