Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Cholov Yisroel Formula
Previous  1  2

Tefila

Post Fri, Mar 18 2005, 6:01 pm
Proud then every formula is that way u know, coz it's made w/h corn starch powder so when wet will be sticky!!!!!

sarahd

Post Sat, Mar 19 2005, 3:42 pm
I use Materna stages too, and my baby tolerates it very well. But I sure wouldn't call it cheap. Costs about $13 a can here. I used some other kind of Materna first, which didn't go over well. Tell me, do you keep the spoon out of the powder the way they tell you to?

BTW, Hindy, if you need to know what the Materna has in it, the cans here have an English translation, so I can let you know the nutritional content. (What's dha?)

gryp

Post Sat, Mar 19 2005, 8:19 pm
sarahd- I never kept the spoon out of the powder... embarrassed do you think I really should?

any powder will stick to you when wet... even sugar and salt, etc.

the Materna cans here have no english translation, but they cost here $9 and the others are a dollar or two more.

Ruby

Post Mon, Mar 28 2005, 9:19 pm
I use similac - cholov yisroel J&J
I know that the doctors recommend the dairy formula especially from six monthes. I don't know all the details but I'm assuming that if similac makes it, it has all the same good nutrients etc as the isomil and all the to her formulas they make. Also as an addes plus, my baby spits up a lot less from the dairy formula.

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 9:42 am
BlumaG wrote:
y dont u just use soy pareve formula? I get enfmail prosobee powder on WIC
also isomil is dairy equipment incase ppl didnt know

Prosobee is also on dairy equiptment. If it being on dairy equiptment is important to you then don't use prosobee. My son is very allergic to dairy and we think thats why he had a reaction to to the formula.

BlumaG

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 10:45 am
Prosobee Powder is not Dairy equipment, the concentrate form is though

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 11:27 am
I know..my husband looked into it. I am not talking about the concentrate. I am talking about the powder. I stopped using is cause I wasn't getting good answers from the OU. My husband is in hashgacha. I don't want to scare anyone. But if it being on dairy equiptment is something that is important to you, don't use it. Yes I am talking about the powder. I heard that they were suppose to be putting it on the can soon. OU DE

rydys

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 11:37 am
Shaynarochel, 35% of children who are allergic to dairy are also allergic to soy. Maybe that is what happened with your son. When I have a patient who is allergic to milk I skip the soy formulas and go to the hypoallergenic ones bec. so many kids are allergic to soy, too.

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 11:49 am
Quote:
Shaynarochel, 35% of children who are allergic to dairy are also allergic to soy. Maybe that is what happened with your son. When I have a patient who is allergic to milk I skip the soy formulas and go to the hypoallergenic ones bec. so many kids are allergic to soy, too.

thanks rdys I definelty considered that. I took him to allergist and he was tested for soy and came out negative. But that doesn't mean he is forsure not allergic to soy which I know. I have given him tofu with no probs.

Do your own research about procobee. I don't trust it and thats because we called the OU.

BlumaG

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 1:27 pm
so in other words there is no completely pareve formula out therre on the market besidesh te really expensive jewish brands that u cant get on WIC?

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 7:06 pm
Quote:
so in other words there is no completely pareve formula out therre on the market besidesh te really expensive jewish brands that u cant get on WIC?

That was the reason I used procobee cause it was on wic then I heard about the problems. I used to get israeli isomil when I had to use formula. B"H I don't need any formula for my second baby cause its a fortune.[/quote]

rydys

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 8:26 pm
How about Materna's soy? It is much cheaper than isomil or prosobee, at least in NY.

BlumaG

Post Tue, Mar 29 2005, 10:09 pm
I called enfamil today n they said the powder prosobee is pareve and not dairy equipment, I want to know bc I am iyh due in june n I need to knowi have a back up. I nursed my daughter for 8 onths but knew htere was a back up if need b

Rivka

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 6:19 pm
If you are talking soya milk you can buy any soya milk then, it doesn't have to be kosher. And over here people get it on prescription...so it's free.
I used Remedia for my son coz I could get it where I worked. I think it's the same as Farley's as that's who makes it. I was happy with it, it isn't gunky or sticky and didn't smell bad.

Rivka

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 6:19 pm
Oh and there should also be English ingredients on them.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jun 19 2005, 7:04 pm
btw, if you use a different formula just check carefully how much powder to add!!
I bought a different formula (Latina) and the scoops are smaller and the measurements are written in ML. I figured out to put one scoop per ounce, as opposed to the usual 1 per 2 ounces. so be careful.
In brooklyn you can get J & J cholov yisroel formula, also materna. available in many groceries and through R &R diapers

mumsy23

Post Mon, Apr 17 2006, 1:21 am
To whoever posted "why don't you just use pareve formula?" - you know you are not supposed to just put your baby on soy formula. Soy is a last resort and only for babies that cannot handle dairy formulas. Most Dr.'s reccomend dairy formula unless their is an alergy or reflux and the other alternative formulas (like lactofree) don't work. You should ask your Dr. before using soy...

Also, If you can't find an affordable Cholov Yisroel formula, why not ask your Rav if it is ok for your child to eat non-cholov yisroel? I would very surprised if a Rav asured it even after you told him the difficulties with the cholov Yisroel kind. Its not like chalav stam is treiff!!!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 17 2006, 11:13 am
I use Materna too and am happy with it. The J&J similac costs a fortune. It can be bought directly from Mehadrin at $30.00 a case and I need five cases a month!!!! The materna I can get at $90 a case from a local supermarket and only need one case a month.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Apr 17 2006, 11:47 am
mumsy23 wrote:
To whoever posted "why don't you just use pareve formula?" - you know you are not supposed to just put your baby on soy formula. Soy is a last resort and only for babies that cannot handle dairy formulas. Most Dr.'s reccomend dairy formula unless their is an alergy or reflux and the other alternative formulas (like lactofree) don't work. You should ask your Dr. before using soy...

I "just put my baby on soy formula". I saw it as a last resort because I couldn't get cholov yisroel formula, and my family "cannot handle dairy formulas" that aren't cholov yisroel. I didn't bother to ask my doctor because I wasn't going to use non-cholov yisroel anyway.

mumsy23 wrote:
Also, If you can't find an affordable Cholov Yisroel formula, why not ask your Rav if it is ok for your child to eat non-cholov yisroel? I would very surprised if a Rav asured it even after you told him the difficulties with the cholov Yisroel kind. Its not like chalav stam is treiff!!!

Lubavitchers are very strict with cholov yisroel, even for children, no matter the cost or the difficulty. In our family, anything that's not cholov yisroel is not an option (unless there was an extenuating health circumstance, which BH we haven't had at this point).

ektsm

Post Sun, Apr 23 2006, 8:47 pm
mateerna is the cheaper one.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics