Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How is getting drunk tznius - male or female?

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 12:13 pm
Please explain to me how getting drunk and exhibiting crazy, ridiculous behavior is tznius?

How is it not a chillul hashem where non Jews are?

How is drinking until you get sick or until you go to the hospital not totally against halacha as something that is a sakana?

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 12:16 pm
You can get drunk without behaving like an idiot, throwing up, etc.

Like I said in the other thread, I've only seen this type of behavior exhibited with teenagers. The adults that I associate with don't act like this.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 12:19 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
You can get drunk without behaving like an idiot, throwing up, etc.

Like I said in the other thread, I've only seen this type of behavior exhibited with teenagers. The adults that I associate with don't act like this.

teenagers drinking is a huge problem. they don't know when to stop & could get alcohol poisoning. if they need to go to the hospital, the person who allowed them to drink will probably be arrested.

one year we had a bochur who came to collect who was so drunk that he walked through a glass screen & needed surgery on his arm.

Baruch_Hashem

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 4:20 pm
When done correctly it is a beautiful thing. I was at seuda where many of the men were drunk. it was very torahdik. When the very essence of a person is torah what comes out when they get drunk is very nice. there were lots of divrie torah, lots of singing. Yes the men were hyper and loud but they were saying such nice divrie torah and they kept praising each other. There was a real atmosphere of achdus. Men who dont drink all year and then do it on purim l'shem mitzvah to increase their happiness on this special day-that is the correct way! In many cases drinking is not done correctly(too young...too much) etc... but when done correctly there is n/t wrong with it. Females drinking is a different story... I dont think it is tznius.

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 7:01 pm
Oh why is this question in a non-anonymous forum? 8) 8) Oh well. I already started typing, but I'll say that I think it's untznius for a woman to be drunk.

I won't lie--I'm not a drinker, but drank on Purim. And I didn't know how much was too much. And I'm STILLLLL feeling sick and awful from it. DH didn't think it was anything (said the amount was normal--probably the dehydration or something), but I don't think stumbling down the avenue on DH's arm, or spending an evening where the neighbors can hear you getting sick, is tznius or lady-like...it's low-class and not modest.

mommy#1

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 7:10 pm
my dh told me that it says in the gemara that a female cant get drunk, because shell do disgusting things then (like have relations with a donkey in the street). when I told my dh that I would never, and how dare he say that LOL he replied, im not saying it, its a gemara, so dont say you would never!!! Rolling Eyes

Chocoholic

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 7:23 pm
For a man the following is considered tznius: sing, dance, breakdance, drive a car, a horse, getting drunk, playing sports, give a speech.

For a woman, the following is considered not tznius: sing, dance, breakdance, drive a car, a horse, getting drunk, playing sports, give a speech.

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 7:24 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
For a man the following is considered tznius: sing, dance, breakdance, drive a car, a horse, getting drunk, playing sports, give a speech.

For a woman, the following is considered not tznius: sing, dance, breakdance, drive a car, a horse, getting drunk, playing sports, give a speech.
Thumbs Up

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 7:47 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
Oh why is this question in a non-anonymous forum? 8) 8) Oh well. I already started typing, but I'll say that I think it's untznius for a woman to be drunk.

I won't lie--I'm not a drinker, but drank on Purim. And I didn't know how much was too much. And I'm STILLLLL feeling sick and awful from it. DH didn't think it was anything (said the amount was normal--probably the dehydration or something), but I don't think stumbling down the avenue on DH's arm, or spending an evening where the neighbors can hear you getting sick, is tznius or lady-like...it's low-class and not modest.

Sorry, I didn't realize that anonymous posting was disabled.

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 9:29 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
Yocheved84 wrote:

LOL No problem!!! Smile I'm proud to publicly say that I learned a lesson this weekend. And I'm proud to say that I'm still learning the lesson. :::drinking ginger ale and eating toast all day to recover ::::

L'Chaim!

mommalah

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 9:42 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
Mimisinger wrote:
Yocheved84 wrote:

LOL No problem!!! Smile I'm proud to publicly say that I learned a lesson this weekend. And I'm proud to say that I'm still learning the lesson. :::drinking ginger ale and eating toast all day to recover ::::

L'Chaim!

Tomato Juice works wonders!

sequoia

Post Mon, Mar 01 2010, 10:10 pm
Pickle juice!

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 6:38 am
I don't see how getting drunk is tznius for either men or women.

"my dh told me that it says in the gemara that a female cant get drunk, because shell do disgusting things then (like have relations with a donkey in the street). "

Makes you wonder about the state of sobriety of the folks who came up with this stuff...

kalsee

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 6:43 am
DrMom wrote:
I don't see how getting drunk is tznius for either men or women.

"my dh told me that it says in the gemara that a female cant get drunk, because shell do disgusting things then (like have relations with a donkey in the street). "

Makes you wonder about the state of sobriety of the folks who came up with this stuff...
shock shock shock

Marion

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 6:46 am
Baruch_Hashem wrote:
Yes the men were hyper and loud but they were saying such nice divrie torah and they kept praising each other. There was a real atmosphere of achdus.

So what if they kept praising each other? If drinking makes them hyper enough and loud enough to scare their kids/nephews/nieces/grandchildren, then it's too much, no matter what the content is of what's coming out of their mouths.

My kids were ASKING to leave the seudah yesterday because of the rowdiness...and the [drunk] men in the room were also just singing and giving divrei Torah.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Mar 02 2010, 10:59 am
Getting drunk is BAD chinuch.
I don't care where you send your child to school or how you cover your hair or what shul you daven at , at, what hechsher you keep, or what butcher you use bla bla bla.
EXCESSIVE DRINKING = BAD CHINUCH.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics