Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Dried fruit and chicken recipes?

rosey

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 1:54 pm
Dh would like a chicken recipe with dried fruit. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! TIA (and if called for could we use prunes from sukkos time..do those go bad? thanks:)

Last edited by rosey on Thu, Mar 04 2010, 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 2:04 pm
I think I just topped the chicken with the fruit ... actually, no - that was fish ... but it's the same idea. Baste.

rosey

Post Thu, Mar 04 2010, 4:10 pm
sounds great. thanks for the tip!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 9:30 am
I actually experimented last night but I am not tasting it till Shabbos to see what it will taste like.

I diced an onion, chopped up prunes (you can also add apricots, raisins, etc), added in some walnuts, and sauteed it with some cinnamon. I then stuffed the chicken with it and drizzled on some olive oil, salt, and pepper...

I'm curious to see what it will be like Smile

caligirl

Post Fri, Mar 05 2010, 3:23 pm
Chicken Marbella from Kosher by Design is really good and easy

rosey

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 1:54 pm
Shavua Tov. All sounds good. H"Y let us know how it went!

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 6:56 pm
I tend to use dried apricots with chicken. (Chop up and add with onions before stewing, or add chopped dried apricots, sliced almonds and curry-flavoured mayo to chicken salad).

Prunes go wonderfully with red meat, esp lamb. I sautee onions (pref red onions, loads of them), add chopped prunes, figs or dates, pour some red wine, season with salt/pepper/onion soup mix and braise for a loooong time (can easily cook 4-5hrs in the oven till meat literally falls from the bones). Fruits,onion and red wine cooks into lovely gravy.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 06 2010, 9:29 pm
Blend dried apricots and honey for a natural apricot jam to smear over chicken.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 08 2010, 9:28 am
rosey wrote:
Shavua Tov. All sounds good. H"Y let us know how it went!
It was pretty good, but I think I'll leave out the walnuts next time. I might add in some diced apples or something else to it if I have available. Smile

Rikola

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 7:37 pm
This is not technically dried fruit, but I make an apple butter chicken and an apricot preserves chicken. They are very similar:

rice wine vinegar
powdered garlic
salt
pepper
apple butter or apricot preserves

You can heat it in a small pan till blended or just mix it up in a cup. Baste on chicken. Cook covered 85% and then uncovered to finish.

Chicken and fruit are a great combo. Have fun experimenting!

sky

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 7:42 pm
I make chicken from KBD:
Dip chicken cutlets in flavored honey (pepper, garlic, etc)
dip in bread crumbs and crushed pecans.
Bake

Serve with chopped dried appricots mixed with duck sauce on top.

JuliaB

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 9:10 pm
You can also make a stuffing of dried fruit (apricots, prunes) and mix it with couscous. Then you have a side dish and it is very moist from being inside the chicken.

sunshine!

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 9:16 pm
Crockpot Chicken with Dried Fruit
Ingredients:
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup mixed dried fruit pieces
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup chicken broth or water
1 onion, chopped

Place all ingredients in 4-5 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours until chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked. Serve over hot cooked rice.
Do not use bone-in pieces of chicken because the recipe may not work. Bone-in dark meat chicken cooks very differently from boneless in the crockpot.

Stovetop Chicken with Dried Fruit

Ingredients:
1/4 cup oil
1 chicken cut up
1 onion, chopped
2 cups water or chicken stock
2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups assorted dried fruit
1 lemon, thinly sliced

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Brown the chicken pieces a few pieces at a time. Remove to a plate. Add the onion and sauté till translucent. Add back the chicken pieces and enough water to come 1/2 to 2/3 the way up the chicken, about 2-3 cups. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and cover. Let simmer about 30 minutes. Remove cover, add dried fruit and cover with lemon slices. Season with salt and pepper and cover again. Simmer another 30 minutes till chicken is tender. Remove from heat, add spices to taste, and serve.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus