Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is Your Kitchen Kosher?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

yehudis

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 6:18 pm
Motek wrote:
Quote:
The cook opened up a package of mushrooms and cut them.

instead of?

Don't you have to check them?

Although I might be too obsessed with that Smile.

Sunshine

Post Sun, Jan 23 2005, 7:32 pm
I got this great book by the OU called The OU Guide to Preparing Fruits and Vegitables. It tells you which stuff need to be checked, how to check and what you are looking for. It says Shitak and button mushrooms just need a good washing and oyster and potobello need checking.

sarahd

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 5:25 am
The "Madrich levdikas tolaim" by R' Falk says (or maybe it was my sister who told me) that you should remove the stem from the cap and look for insects (I once found one running around inside the cap) and then split the stem and look for tunneling. Then you should cut the cap into 1 inch pieces and also check for tunneling.

yehudis

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 3:46 pm
sarahd wrote:
The "Madrich levdikas tolaim" by R' Falk says (or maybe it was my sister who told me) that you should remove the stem from the cap and look for insects (I once found one running around inside the cap) and then split the stem and look for tunneling. Then you should cut the cap into 1 inch pieces and also check for tunneling.

You're supposed to do all that??! I only heard that you need to check between the cap and the stem.

Is it just me, or are these things getting stricter every year? I keep hearing of more and more things we're supposed to check, and more complicated ways of doing it.

My husband just bought a children's book about kashrus, and it says there that you're supposed to put strawberries into soapy water. I don't know what would be left of those strawberries after that. But I heard from a big rabbi from star-k (don't remember his name) that you only need to cut off the top and look at it. That was 2 years ago. Has it changed?

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 3:49 pm
sarahd wrote:
I once found one running around inside the cap

EW!!!!! shock
I guess that's why I only use canned mushrooms!

Miriam,
about food being prepared in a non cholov yisroel kitchen. is that a major issue? we keep cholov yisroel, but we will eat from non cholov yisroel keilim. or else we wouldn't be able to eat at any relatives' houses. maybe some hashgachos are not makpid on cholov yisroel keilim?
I don't really understand- isn't the mashgiach the one who's supposed to be supervising that things are done correctly? shouldn't you're husband (ie the mashgiach) tell the cook that he should be washing the veggies?

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 3:50 pm
I also read, the best thing to do with strawberries is to cut off most of the top because that is where the bugs probably are, and then to soak them in soapy water.

this is by Rabbi Blumenkranz, and he actually suggests washing all fruits and vegetables in soapy water.

yehudis

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 3:52 pm
Motek wrote:
Rabbi Gershon Bess, rav in LA, says he was checking out the kashrus of a hotel that advertised a mashgiach tmidi (that they have constant supervision by a mashgiach). When he called the hotel and asked to speak to the mashgiach, he was told that the mashgiach was only there on Tuesdays!

When he tried again on Tuesday, he was told, sorry, he's only here from 11-1!

when he finally reached this so-called mashgiach tmidi and asked about the kashrus of the meat, he was told it was glatt kosher (of course). When he asked who provided the kashrus certification, he was told, "I don't know but I'll check the label and let you know."

shock

My husband heard this story from Rabbi Bess himself.

zuncompany

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 3:59 pm
0613 wrote:
[Miriam,
about food being prepared in a non cholov yisroel kitchen. is that a major issue? we keep cholov yisroel, but we will eat from non cholov yisroel keilim. or else we wouldn't be able to eat at any relatives' houses. maybe some hashgachos are not makpid on cholov yisroel keilim?

we were told we are not allowed.

sara

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 4:09 pm
Yehudis, do not 'shop abound' for humras!
Ask your Rav!!!!

Quote:
this is by Rabbi Blumenkranz,

with all due respect, he writes HIS optinon, which many other Rabbeim do not agree with.

ASK YOUR RAV!!!!

and if your Rav tells you to go by *k, OU or R Blumenkrantz, do that.

Most people will tell you that Iceberg Letuce doesn't need to be ckecked, but our Rav said it does.

gryp

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 4:17 pm
FY- I was giving I source for what I was saying, not trying to tell people what to do....

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 4:27 pm
rg, I did not mean it as a personal attak, sorry if it sounded like that

I really ment thi for Yehudis & others who get confused

I singled out R. Blumenkrantz, b/c many people seem to forget this as far as he is conserned and quote him as THE final authority

sarahd

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 4:36 pm
And BTW, if you're following a sefer, make sure that it's correct for the country you're living in. There are differences in levels of infestation between America, Europe (and within Europe) and Israel. The halacha in Israel is stricter for many things.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 5:04 pm
sarahd, did you really have to make it more complicated?
Here I thought I was getting the hang of it..... Confused

sarahd

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 5:56 pm
Hey, just read the introduction to your sefer and it will tell you which country/ies it's valid for.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Jan 24 2005, 8:26 pm
Wink 8)

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Apr 11 2005, 3:16 pm
Motek wrote:
In the December 2001 issue of Kashrus magazine (which I highly recommended), there is an article by Rabbi E. Israelewitz about bishul akum (non-Jewish cooking), which is forbidden to Jews.

He describes two incidents which took place in a hotel under the OK hashgacha many years ago, in which gentile workers disobeyed the kashrus rules. He was a member of the staff of mashgichim.

When R' Berel Levy a'h came to the hotel on chol ha'moed, they had a meeting in which he brought up these two problems. R' Levy said the following :

"You're making a mistake in the whole area of non-Jewish workers. In the last few decades [remember, R' Levy passed away in the early '80's], non-Jews have changed immensely in their attitudes. Besides the fact that their whole way of life is totally alien to the concept of restrictive dietary laws, they have totally lost their respect for anything religious. Gone are the days when dietary laws evoked a feeling of awe in non-Jews. Now it's just considered an ancient relic to be held up to ridicule.

"In addition, they have no real fear any more. They know they are being paid low wages; they resent it, and they are envious. They know that if they get fired from this job, they'll find another one waiting for them if they are still willing to work for this low pay.

"Therefore, unless you are dealing with highly paid professional non-Jews who take extreme pride in being meticulous in their work, you have nothing to rely on. You must be on constant guard, and if you walk away, even for a moment, you are asking for trouble.

"I guarantee you, that any baale busta who leaves her non-Jewish worker in the kitchen alone, while she runs out to bring her kids to school, shop at the grocery, or go to do the laundry in the basement, HAS HAD HER KITCHEN COMPLETELY TREIFED UP A HUNDRED TIMES OVER."

shock shock

What is even more shocking is that my husband is a OK mashigach. I wish the OK upheld their own standards. Thy may have alot in writing but implementing it is another story. Hashgacha is a business like any other business even they are told to "look the other". The restaurant that my husband works at is OWNED by a [gentile]. Its amoazing that the OK even gives them hashgacha. It almost makes me wonder about products with hashgachas on it. makes me want to be like pesach all year around.

Motek

Post Mon, Apr 11 2005, 4:01 pm
but I know that OK is extremely tough on meat restaurants

does your husband work in a dairy restaurant?

Sunshine

Post Mon, Apr 11 2005, 4:33 pm
[/quote]What is even more shocking is that my husband is a OK mashigach. I wish the OK upheld their own standards. They may have alot in writing but implementing it is another story. Hashgacha is a business like any other business even they are told to "look the other".[/quote]

Someone in the OK told your husband to look the other way about a kashrus issue? shock I know a few very close relatives that work in hashgacha (not the OK) and they were never told that, and would never do that. That is a really major question for a rav. If you know s/t is not being done properly and others are relying one you to eat kosher. When an issue comes up the next day (or that day if possible) someone "higher up" comes flying to the location (they work as a mashgiach of food plants not resturants) to come and sheck it out and speak to the manager/owner about what to do to avoid such issues. I also know a case where someone worked for a hashgacha and rarely actually went to the plants to visit despit the fact that he said he did. When the kashrus agency found out he was fired.

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 12:30 pm
got anything to add? this is an impt. thread! (if I do say so myself)

amother

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 1:20 pm
One my teachers in high school had said that he and a bunch of others rabbis he knows only will eat places if they trust the individual mashgiach personally so by our wedding we made sure to have one of the 2 mashgiachs he said were trustworthy, and all the rabbis actually ate at our wedding.

See the funny thing is that I am not like a chumra type yet I wonder that if push came to shove, would I trust enough that pesach can be done so carefully at hotels with so many non jews milling about, if the money was a non issue and I felt like going, just logically speaking.

I know anyone if the hashgacha business can tell of horror stories, but short of only eating home, it boils down to if my rabbi trusts the rabbi giving the hashgacha.

I find that despite my slits which I do not sew, the fact that I wear denim, the jeans type, I cannot necessarily trust others who appear even "frummer" than myself for kashrus. Once I ate by someone, right, accepted by the frum crowd and all, and at the end of the meal she takes out a spray and bounty or a sponge (not sure which) and starts wiping the table down, now after we left I was oh my gosh - we cannot eat there ever again! if she does not know enough ( and her husband too, since he was right there) about shabbos then how can I assume that they know enough about kashrus - especially being they have a full time maid, so anyways, sneaky as I was, I fished, called her up and asked her, by accident I left my lady in the kitchen by herself for an hour and I had an open bottle of non-mevushal wine in the fridge, do you know what to do since you always have a lady? she said her husband says its fine as long as they don't open the cover.
A few months later I was by a different neighbor, and right after shkia the maid of the above mentioned lady came by, and gave this neighbor a piece of raw meat, in a ziploc, and said "mrs. a said you needed a piece of meat for your chulent , so she said I should put it in for you because its already shabbos" Now at least this neighbor wasn't sure but asked me if I know if she's allowed to because its already shabbos, she did not know that there was a problem at all with the [gentile] handling open raw meat unsupervised. So after this all I decided even though these women went to good schools, as did their husbands, I have to really get to know someone before eating there, or ask someone else who knows them really well. As I think I said before in this long megilla, Both of these women dressed real tznius, well part of the community, appeared outwardly "the right type you can eat by".
Kashrus is definitely a real tricky item.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen