Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Menu for a SIMPLE yet yom tov-dik meal(s)?

SV

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 9:56 am
I am BH due any minute, have 2 little ones at home and work FT out of the house. Surprisingly, cooking is the last item on my wanting-to-do list. From reading all the menu/recipes threads lately I switch off between feeling depressed and overwhelmed. Do you have suggestions for EASY meals but something that is lkavod yom tov? We are out for two meals (BH!), so I just need two first meals. They need to be fleishig and without any exotic ingredients, because food shopping is the second to last item on my wanting-to-do list Smile. TIA!

Isramom8

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 10:03 am
jarred gefilte fish / chrain

bagged salad / bottled dressing

a roast with lots of potatoes, carrots and onions in a giant pan
OR
roast chicken, spiced

cake from a mix, or bought

broken-up chocolate bars or candy or nuts

jello if you're feeling adventurous

favorite soda and/or juice

fiddle

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 10:05 am
one of our meals will be fried fish, cous cous and salad. simple enough?

SV

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 10:23 am
Thanks for responding. The "problem" is that "fish/chicken and side dish" is our usual dinner so it wouldn't feel kavodik for yom tov...

fiddle

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 10:26 am
we are having sushi and chinese noodles with mushrooms, but I dont know how simple that is on a scale of 1-10

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 10:52 am
Put a roast in a pan over sliced onion. Poke holes all over it with a knife.
Put in some potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, mushrooms -- any veggies you want.
Pour broth or soup mix mixed in water all over it.
Seal tightly with foil, and bake for a few hours while you forget about it. When it smells right (about 2-3 hours depending on size), take out and cool down. Slice when it's cold and put back in gravy, and reheat like that.

That's your main and sides. Put some soup up for an appetizer or brown meat and stuff manicotti and bake with tomato sauce for an hour and 15 minutes or make sweet n sour salmon.

Dessert -- buy some pareve ice cream and serve in waffle bowls. That's what I did when I was almost due 2 years ago.

Annie

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 11:04 am
here is our standard Yom tov or shabbos meal when we're pressed for time. Looks great, tastes great, and everything is mix in one bowl and bake.

Basic Menu (instructions/recipes below)

Baked Gefilte Fish
Chicken with sauce
Roasted Potatoes
Squash Souffle (slightly different than squash kugle, but just as easy)
Zucchini
Easy Choc. Cake

I bake the gefilte fish with some diced carrots, diced red pepper (1/4 avg size pepper) amd then one can tomatoe sauce on top - unwrap fish, add carrots, pepper, cover with sauce, cover in foil, bake at 350 for two hours.

Chicken with sauce is either a ketchup honey mix (2:1 ration), and then add a can of peaches or diced pineapple for last 15 minutes of baking, or the standard - russian or french dressing, 1.5T mayo, 1 jar apricot jelly, 1 pkg osm - mix in a bowl, pour over chicken, baked covered.

Roasted potatoes -- wash and cut up potatoes (this is the most labor intensive part of the whole meal), put in pan, spray with olive oil pam (or regular pam, or drizzle oil on them) until coated, then shake over Mrs. Dash or osm and mix up until all are coated. Bake until done - these can take a while depending on how small you cut the potatoes.

Let me know if you want the squash recipe.

The cake recipe is the chocolate cake on the hershey's cocoa container, use soy milk instead of milk, you can mix everythign in one bowl, even though the recipe doesn't go that way, and put in bundt pan, when it's done, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus