Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
The tub is not a toilet!

melbee

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 2:28 pm
I have a question for all you experienced moms out there. And odds are, there's nothing I can do. However, does anyone have any advice for "training" my 14 mo ds not to make in the bathtub?!? If it was once in awhile I'd probably deal with it, but lately he's doing this every time he takes a bath, which is pretty much daily. I'm at wits end cleaning out the tub every single night.

Any advice is welcome. I have no clue what to do.

saw50st8

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 2:43 pm
What worked for DS was - he was taking a bath with DS#2. DS#2 pooped in the tub and it was really gross. DS #1 started saying "no poop in the bathtub Cody" and then I added in "No pee in the bathtub either."

So situational learning LOL.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 2:46 pm
so you will send your ODS to her house to tell her baby not to poop in the tub??

Nuts

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 2:56 pm
I would suggest fro starters not to bathe him every night. This way you'll cut on half the mess. Also make his bath fast so that he shouldn't have that big a chance of going in the bath.

melbee

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 3:19 pm
The problem is, the way he eats and plays, he needs a bath pretty much every night. If he doesn't need one, he doesn't get. I guess we'll have to cut his bath shorter.. It's just a shame b/c he's a total water baby, and it's his favorite time of day, not to mention special Tati time.

Ah, the things we learn as parents that we would otherwise never dream could happen...

mamommommy

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 3:20 pm
If your ds isn't trained not to go in a diaper, it'll be hard to train him not to go anywhere else. He has no experience retaining himself and couple that with the fact that the warm water acts as a laxative, then it's likely to happen. That it's happening everytime you bathe him is annoying. I would say to try to give him a shower instead and see if that works. It'll remove the laxative effect because he won't be soaking in the warm water. I've showered my kids at that age. I just stand right outside the shower and hold onto them while they're in. It also goes much faster (and uses less water) than a bath, and my kids usually think it's fun.

melbee

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 3:59 pm
mamommommy, that would be a really great idea, but DS is apparently petrified of showers. We've tried a few times with DH showering with him when there was a time crunch for Shabbos and he really needed one. He screams the whole time. He likes to see where the water is coming from, and if it doesn't make sense, he gets really scared.

I'm really not trying to be contrary LOL Guess we'll have to cut him short and see what happens (although half the time he's doing it before he's even done being cleaned!)

Alef Bais

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 4:44 pm
Try sitting him on the toilet right before he goes into the tub. This is what my dh did with my boys.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics