Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Do you feed your kids breakfast before school?
Previous  1  2

manhattanmom

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 11:05 am
amother wrote:
Mommastuff wrote:
Mommish wrote:
The school provides cereal every morning, but is it my responsibility to feed them at home first? It is already so hard to get them to school on time, and having a sit down breakfast (even cereal & milk) would probably add at least 15-20 min. Of course if they say they're hungry I'll give a fruit or a cookie or something, but I don't do it as a matter of course.

a cookie first thing in the morning? Confused

What about a healthy fruit bar or oatmeal bar that they can take on the run? What about a fruity milk shake they can drink up (quickly)? Do you have time to make an omlet in the AM or warm up prepared warm cereal? (mind you, that last one also takes more time to eat)

Breakfast really fuels the brain for learning! What kind of cereal does the school provide anyway? Does it really satsfy them till lunch or even till snack time?

Not all circles believe a cookie is bad.

Many people don't think cookies are bad. It's just not a wise and nutritious breakfast decision.
I'd rather give my kids oatmeal cereal/breakfast bars on the go. Or waffles or pancakes, or a grilled cheese sandwich.

NewGran

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 11:06 am
My childen leave the house by 7:30 and everyone eats a hot breakfast before they go. It's either Oatmeal made in the microwave, toast with peanut butter or a toasted sandwhich, either baked beans or cheese.
I bought a 4 slice sandwhich machine so I can make it for 4 children at once and it only takes 5 minutes. They function better no matter the age if they get food into them in the morning.
It's not always easy but it's worth it.

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 11:15 am
I don't let my kids leave the house without eating something of the non-junk food variety. They do serve breakfast as soon as the kids get to school, but it's cereal and milk every day. While they don't give them any sugary cereals, I just don't think cereal is that good of a breakfast, especially not if they have it every day. I think kids need a variety of foods to get all the nutrients their bodies need, so I give them a nutritious breakfast before they leave, one that actually has some protein in it, and I give them something different every day. It's also for my peace of mind, that I know they ate a good, healthy meal, whereas at school I wouldn't know if they actually ate or maybe spent breakfast time chatting with friends, or had to use the toilet during those 20 minutes and didn't have time to really eat properly.

I admit it's not easy making sure we have enough time in the mornings, but I make it a priority to wake up early enough to do this. But that's just me, though...I know lots of people don't feel it is necessary.

DovDov

Post Thu, Jun 10 2010, 11:40 am
We usually do breakfast of a sort -- maybe 3 times a week it's cheerios and milk, once or twice a vegetable soup (supper leftovers!), and the rest farina, matza pizza, yogurt, peanut butter sandwiches, etc.

However, we just went through at two week asthma attack with my oldest, which meant spending 30 minutes or so a morning just dealing with his medicine -- when he was cooperating! There just was no time. I found my emergency store really helpful those weeks.

My "emergency store" is a basket on the top shelf of my pantry with snack size ziplocks of almonds, almonds and raisins, or cereal. Usually for when I'm running out on an errand and realize the toddlers will get hungry while we're out, but doubled as breakfast for two weeks. When I'm being efficient, I'll also buy the Costco 5 lb bag of baby carrots and bag up half of it in the same size bags in the beginning of the week, so I can send my son off with a bag of carrots and a bag of cereal. They get milk every day in school, and if I mention at drop-off that he hasn't eaten, they'll give him a cup and let him eat what I sent along.

sgr

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 2:29 am
Oh I wish we had the luxury of breakfast at school!
My kids sit down to a choice of breakfast,there isalways a fresh pot of oats weetbix or cold cereal.As some of my kids are on ritalin there is no choice the have to eat before they leave at 7:30!

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 4:52 am
It doesn't take that much of time to prepare and get the children to eat breakfast, maybe extra 15min at most? Porridges and oatmeals can be cooked in 3min at most, ditto for scrambled eggs, toast 2-3min. Pancakes, you can cook in batches and keep it frozen, takes 15-20sec to microwave.

For those whose children eat in the car or get breakfast at school, when do they brush their teeth?

chanab

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 8:24 am
DovDov wrote:

My "emergency store" is a basket on the top shelf of my pantry with snack size ziplocks of almonds, almonds and raisins, or cereal. Usually for when I'm running out on an errand and realize the toddlers will get hungry while we're out, but doubled as breakfast for two weeks. When I'm being efficient, I'll also buy the Costco 5 lb bag of baby carrots and bag up half of it in the same size bags in the beginning of the week, so I can send my son off with a bag of carrots and a bag of cereal. They get milk every day in school, and if I mention at drop-off that he hasn't eaten, they'll give him a cup and let him eat what I sent along.

I would think those are choking hazards for toddlers

Mommy F.

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 11:30 am
My kids get up at 5:00 or 6:00 every morning so yes they eat breakfast at home.
Snack at school isn't till 10:00. They usually have cereal, not very sugary types. I hate fruit loops and cocoa puffs, I prefer rice crispies, cheerios, corn flakes, shreddies. Sometimes they eat pancakes and waffles (they choose the toppings: jam, peanut butter, maple syrop, honey, chocolate spread . . .) once in a while they eat yogurt, or fruit.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 11 2010, 11:34 am
I give my kids a hot breakfast every morning and I give them lunch when they get home even though school provides both because I know my picky kids don't eat at school the way they do at home.

Tablepoetry

Post Sat, Jun 12 2010, 2:25 pm
chanab wrote:
DovDov wrote:

I would think those are choking hazards for toddlers

I wouldn't give any of the above foods to a child under age 5. Certainly not on the run!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers