Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Zurich or strassberg - fondant

Roses4me

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 6:25 am
anyone from around any of these places..or other cities?

I'm looking for fondant icing for making my son's upsherin cake...

can I even get it somewhere here?

thanks!

6coop

Post Tue, Jun 22 2010, 8:22 am
I'm not from those places, but I know that Wilton fondant is kosher (I actually think it's a hechsher from England) and you may be able to have it shipped to you. - I hope that this helps.

Also, I just made homemade fondant for the first time and it was extremely easy (albeit pretty messy) and it tasted sooo much better than the store bought kind. If you can get powdered sugar and either marshmallows or cornsyrup, you can easily make it yourself.

Roses4me

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 3:45 am
6coop wrote:
I'm not from those places, but I know that Wilton fondant is kosher (I actually think it's a hechsher from England) and you may be able to have it shipped to you. - I hope that this helps.

Also, I just made homemade fondant for the first time and it was extremely easy (albeit pretty messy) and it tasted sooo much better than the store bought kind. If you can get powdered sugar and either marshmallows or cornsyrup, you can easily make it yourself.

I would love to make my own. Does it take a long time? How did u do it - instructions from a book? or a link? maybe I can try that too once beforehand and if it works I'll make it for ds cake as well.

Marion

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 5:47 am
I use the Wilton recipe to makemy own. I have found it sticky, but not messy.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 6:46 am
you can make icing using margerine, icing sugar and a little soy milk. very very easy.

freeze the cake before you ice it.

6coop

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 8:39 am
This is the recipe that I used for marshmallow fondant:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/......aspx
Very simple.

I used Crisco on my hands instead of margarine and I left out the vanilla (because I didn't have clear vanilla) and it still came out great. (You can add any flavoring you want instead of the vanilla.) Otherwise just follow the directions exactly.

I didn't believe that it was going to work when I was making it because it really starts out a gooey, sticky mess, but just keep kneading it (and adding sugar as-needed) and it works. You also need to let it reach room temperature and knead it the next day before you try to work with it. If it gets a little sticky when working with it the next day, just add some more sugar. Read online about rolling and laying fondant on a cake because it took me quite a few tries before I got it right, but it looked great when I finally did.

You can also search online for a regular fondant recipe that uses cornsyrup instead of marshmallows.

One small caveat about homemade fondant: it doesn't come out really white-white but a little bit of a creamier white. It was fine on the cake that I made and definitely looked white, just not a bright white.

Any more questions, and I'm happy to answer!

Have fun!!

Marion

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 8:50 am
If it gets sticky when you're rolling it out or working with it don't add sugar; use cornstarch/corn flour. It will accomplish the same thing without adding sweetness or extra stickiness (the sugar contributes to the sticky problem).

6coop

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 9:01 am
Marion wrote:
If it gets sticky when you're rolling it out or working with it don't add sugar; use cornstarch/corn flour. It will accomplish the same thing without adding sweetness or extra stickiness (the sugar contributes to the sticky problem).

Really? How does it contribute to the stickiness?

6coop

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 9:19 am
6coop wrote:
Marion wrote:

Really? How does it contribute to the stickiness?

Now that I think about it, it does kind of make sense. I looked it up and different web sites say different things - some say use sugar, some say corn starch, but I guess using corn starch does makes sense.

L K

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 9:34 pm
Do you have to use plain powdered sugar? Bec. here, in States, "confectionery sugar" is not pure sugar but mixed with starch.

Marion

Post Wed, Jun 23 2010, 10:43 pm
Icing sugar; plain or otherwise.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 12:28 pm
Icing sugar usually has small amount of corn starch or dried egg whites so that it doesn't all clump together. I just add small amount of waer for icing.

6coop

Post Thu, Jun 24 2010, 12:35 pm
L K wrote:
Do you have to use plain powdered sugar? Bec. here, in States, "confectionery sugar" is not pure sugar but mixed with starch.

I use Dominos confectioners sugar (which has sugar and starch in it) for all of my icing recipes (fondant, buttercream, glaze etc...) and it works and tastes fine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics