Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
I haven't flown in 7 years and getting on a plane in 1 week

aidelmaidel

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 9:55 am
Okay, I haven't gotten on a plane in over 7 years and a lot has changed since then. I'm flying out next Friday 7/23 for a wedding across the country and I would like some friendly advice for those of you who have flown in the last few months.

I know that I need to bring photo ID, I'll have to pay to check my bags, and that my "liquids" need to be less than 3.4 oz containers and in a quart size ziploc.

I'm only going for four days so I can probably bring all my stuff in a carry on, but I'm guessing I'll have to check at least one bag for stuff for the kallah.

My questions are:
- Does anyone know what the size limitations are for carry ons? I'm flying continental one way, delta the other.
- If my flight leaves at 7am, how early do I need to be at LaGuardia to checkin, security, etc?
- Are there any kosher food concessions in LGA, Houston, Detroit or LAX?
- How do you handle bringing kosher food on a plane?
- What's the best way to bring my sheitel? In a sheitel box? put it in my suitcase and have it washed and set there? (I think it's already set)
- Is it okay to take off my sheitel and put on a tichel on the plane (ie in the bathroom) so that I can sleep for at least the long leg of the flight?

Any suggestions or advice for me? I would really appreciate it!

jewels

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 10:12 am
Size limitations on most airlines are standard as far as carry on. A standard carry on will be fine. You acn bring a rolling bag and a small bag or purse.
For a 7am flight leaving LGA be there at 5:45 - security at LGA especially on Fri is usually horrendous
There is kosher food in LGA though not so easy to find. CIBO- name of one of the concession stands in the airport does usually have star-k sandwiches but not ever CIBO has them. There are a few of them in LGA so you may have to search for them. Detroit, and LAX as far as I know doesn't have any kosher food stands.
Security will let food on as long as it's not liquid over the 3.4 oz size. They will not let yogurt, apple sauce, things like that. I've brought pre-packed sandwiches, salads, snacks etc and it was all fine.
Best way to carry your sheital is in a shoe box in your suitcase. You do not want to try to find a place to store it
As far as changing into a tichel it's really about your comfort level. It's about if you feel self conscious about changing or not.
By security you will have to take off shoes, jackets, hats. Even a blazer they'll make you take off so if you plan on wearing something sleeveless underneath don't Wink otherwise they'll have to do a personal security check.
Also some airlines will make you pay for each piece of luggage checked. Delta charges you I believe $25 a bag and Continental I think will let you bring the first bag free.

louche

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 10:24 am
[quote="aidelmaidel"]
My questions are:
- Does anyone know what the size limitations are for carry ons? I'm flying continental one way, delta the other.

Check each airline's website.

- If my flight leaves at 7am, how early do I need to be at LaGuardia to checkin, security, etc?

2 hours before departure on domestic flights.

Don't use LaBriute self-heating meals, which generate vapors that look like smoke. You wont be able to bring beverages. what's wrong with the old standbys of sandwiches, hard-cooked eggs, crackers, fruit, hard cheese and the like?

- What's the best way to bring my sheitel? In a sheitel box? put it in my suitcase and have it washed and set there? (I think it's already set)

A sheitle box will eat up part of your carryon allowance, and the big ones don't always fit into overhead compartments of very small planes. If you're flying from NY to CA then it will be a jet and it'll probably fit, but sideways, not necessarily upright. If it has curlers in it, that won't matter.

- Is it okay to take off my sheitel and put on a tichel on the plane (ie in the bathroom) so that I can sleep for at least the long leg of the flight?

That would depend on you, wouldn't it? If you're Lubavitch, the answer is clearly no. Otherwise, if you don't mind being seen in a tichel, and tichlach don't slide off your head, do what makes you comfortable. Many women with very silky hair wear a jersey knit cap that fits like a swim cap under their tichel, or apply a strip of foam at the hairline to provide enough traction to keep the tichel in place.

aidelmaidel

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 10:39 am
[quote="louche"]
aidelmaidel wrote:

Don't use LaBriute self-heating meals, which generate vapors that look like smoke. You wont be able to bring beverages. what's wrong with the old standbys of sandwiches, hard-cooked eggs, crackers, fruit, hard cheese and the like?

I don't have a problem with the old standbys, I just didn't know if I could bring them through security or not - and I wouldn't eat LaBriute unless I was really, really desperate. Do I have to put the food through the x-ray machine?

[quote="louche"]
aidelmaidel wrote:

A sheitle box will eat up part of your carryon allowance, and the big ones don't always fit into overhead compartments of very small planes. If you're flying from NY to CA then it will be a jet and it'll probably fit, but sideways, not necessarily upright. If it has curlers in it, that won't matter.

It's not in curlers, but it is set "just so" with pins, it would need to stay in the sheitel box in order to keep from getting messed up. I am flying with 1 stop each way to CA, and my planes are Boeing 737, Boeing 757 (huge plane), and Airbus A319 - no clue if they are jets but I believe the Boeings are.

[quote="louche"]
aidelmaidel wrote:

That would depend on you, wouldn't it? If you're Lubavitch, the answer is clearly no. Otherwise, if you don't mind being seen in a tichel, and tichlach don't slide off your head, do what makes you comfortable. Many women with very silky hair wear a jersey knit cap that fits like a swim cap under their tichel, or apply a strip of foam at the hairline to provide enough traction to keep the tichel in place.

My question is more about whether or not people are going to freak if they see me first with hair and then change into a beret (and obviously without hair). And if I have to be *at* Laguardia at 5am (which means I have to leave my house by 4:15am to get there) I am going to go back to sleep on the plane. Smile

louche

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 10:49 am
[quote="aidelmaidel"]

I don't have a problem with the old standbys, I just didn't know if I could bring them through security or not - and I wouldn't eat LaBriute unless I was really, really desperate. Do I have to put the food through the x-ray machine?

Yes, but it won't hurt the food. Nor will it cook the food. Don't bring anything like a gel: no jars of baby food, yogurt, peanut butter, jelly, applesauce, mayo, unless they're in the quart-size ziplok bag in 3 oz. containers together with your toiletries. ...pbj sandwiches are OK

It's not in curlers, but it is set "just so" with pins, it would need to stay in the sheitel box in order to keep from getting messed up. I am flying with 1 stop each way to CA, and my planes are Boeing 737, Boeing 757 (huge plane), and Airbus A319 - no clue if they are jets but I believe the Boeings are.

They're all big jets so you should have no prob. The turboprop puddle-jumpers are the ones that have little or no stowage.

My question is more about whether or not people are going to freak if they see me first with hair and then change into a beret (and obviously without hair). And if I have to be *at* Laguardia at 5am (which means I have to leave my house by 4:15am to get there) I am going to go back to sleep on the plane.

They might freak, but so what? People do all kinds of things, sometimes completely changing their outfit before landing. Is there a reason why you can't leave home in your beret with your sheitel in your carryon?

aidelmaidel

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 10:56 am
[quote="louche"]
aidelmaidel wrote:

My question is more about whether or not people are going to freak if they see me first with hair and then change into a beret (and obviously without hair). And if I have to be *at* Laguardia at 5am (which means I have to leave my house by 4:15am to get there) I am going to go back to sleep on the plane.

They might freak, but so what? People do all kinds of things, sometimes completely changing their outfit before landing. Is there a reason why you can't leave home in your beret with your sheitel in your carryon?

I've got my weekday sheitel that I'll be wearing for most of my time away, and my "simcha" sheitel which I want to carry in my sheitel box. I am traveling with a military ID(which is me with a sheitel) as my ID and from what I've read technically TSA can ask you to remove your "head covering". I guarantee if I wear a beret and I don't look like my military ID it's going to raise a red flag and I have ZERO desire to show my real hair to anyone! Tongue Out

aidelmaidel

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 11:25 am
jewels wrote:

For a 7am flight leaving LGA be there at 5:45 - security at LGA especially on Fri is usually horrendous
Best way to carry your sheital is in a shoe box in your suitcase. You do not want to try to find a place to store it

I'm going to shoot to be there between 5 and 5:30am and the shoebox idea is great!

aidelmaidel

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 11:28 am
Does anyone have any other traveling advice?

Anything that you always forget to pack?

louche

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 11:30 am
aidelmaidel wrote:
I am traveling with a military ID(which is me with a sheitel) as my ID and from what I've read technically TSA can ask you to remove your "head covering". I guarantee if I wear a beret and I don't look like my military ID it's going to raise a red flag and I have ZERO desire to show my real hair to anyone! Tongue Out

Gotcha.
Welp, now I know who you aren't, b/c the only frum woman I know in the military flies all the time!

aidelmaidel

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 11:35 am
louche wrote:
aidelmaidel wrote:
I am traveling with a military ID(which is me with a sheitel) as my ID and from what I've read technically TSA can ask you to remove your "head covering". I guarantee if I wear a beret and I don't look like my military ID it's going to raise a red flag and I have ZERO desire to show my real hair to anyone! Tongue Out

Gotcha.
Welp, now I know who you aren't, b/c the only frum woman I know in the military flies all the time!

I would use my Driver's License, but I find I get hassled alot less in general when I get asked for ID and I whip out my military ID card - most people are *not* used to seeing a frum lady with a military ID card - it usually throws them for a loop. But it counts as government issued ID so they can't say no!

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 11:56 am
When I fly overseas I always board wearing a sheital and then change to a snood after a little while and then back to the sheital before landing. I don't care what anyone thinks.

louche

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 12:19 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
When I fly overseas I always board wearing a sheital and then change to a snood after a little while and then back to the sheital before landing. I don't care what anyone thinks.

Life is usually much less complicated if you don't care what others think.

aidelmaidel

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 12:37 pm
My concern is not that people will "think badly of me", but when the whole "see something, say something" aura around traveling, I have ZERO desire for anyone to be suspicious of me.

Of course, I can't imagine how an overweight frum lady in a wig/tichel is going to arouse suspicion! LOL

louche

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 1:09 pm
aidelmaidel wrote:
My concern is not that people will "think badly of me", but when the whole "see something, say something" aura around traveling, I have ZERO desire for anyone to be suspicious of me.

Understood from the outset.

aidelmaidel wrote:
Of course, I can't imagine how an overweight frum lady in a wig/tichel is going to arouse suspicion! LOL

Long, loose-fitting skirts immediately arouse suspicion because they can effectively conceal weapons. In the days of the British Mandate in EY, when the Haganah wanted to smuggle guns from point A to point B, they would sometimes have girls hide the guns under their skirts. How hefty a girl was , determined how big a gun she could transport.

Wigs? Of course wigs will arouse suspicion! Don't you read spy novels? What easier way to disguise yourself and evade pursuit than to wear a wig of a style and color different from your own and then discard it?

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 1:25 pm
I always bring a zip-up sweatshirt or sweater on the plane, as it can get cold.
I wear a long skirt on the plane because of the cold.
I usually bring an empty water bottle and fill it after I get through security so as not to waste money on a high-price bottle of water at the airport.
I always bring a lot of food on the plane because you never know if you'll be delayed or not. I generally bring stuff like perogies, morning star farms links, or any other type of food that can but put in a ziploc bag and eaten with my hands.

aidelmaidel

Post Fri, Jul 16 2010, 3:00 pm
louche wrote:

Wigs? Of course wigs will arouse suspicion! Don't you read spy novels? What easier way to disguise yourself and evade pursuit than to wear a wig of a style and color different from your own and then discard it?

Because I couldn't pull anything off other than a #4 Brown wig - I would look ridiculous with my coloring in anything else, lol.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 5:45 am
If I may add my $0.02,

1. You may want to check-in on-line (usually up to 24hrs before departure time). That way, you can choose seats and already print out the boarding apsses. That way you can proceed straight to the security line.

2. There may be kosher food concession at LGA, but you may have difficulty finding them (esp if they're not in the same terminal), or they may not be open early in the morning.

3. I think many US airports have a separate queue for business class passengers and THOSE ON MILITARY ID. Count your luck if there's a fast line where you can go with the military ID.

4. Sheitel--if it's domestic flights and carry-on only, shoebox should be ok (stuff lots of tissue so the sheitel won't move around a lot). I have no problem switching to tichels, many women do that in-flight. I'm with others that the airport security may ask you to remove tichels/hats.

5. Drink as much water as the air inside the airplanes can be dry. BTW, all aircrafts you mentioned are single-aisle jets (though airlines are notorious for changing aircraft types depending on occupancy rates).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics