Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is crawling a milestone???
Previous  1  2

Laughing Bag!

Post Sun, Jul 04 2010, 6:13 pm
crawling sometimes does affect kids in other areas other than physical. Eye problems, writing, and drawing... it is often only noticed when the chils is older like 7-8 years old when child is having accedemic... problems. However not all children who dont crawl fall into this category.

eschaya

Post Sun, Jul 04 2010, 8:23 pm
Crawling is not an official milestone. A baby doesn't need to crawl in order to progress to walking. Occasional babies just skip it. My sister skipped it and went on to become dance head in HS and seminary. Don't worry.

cubbie

Post Sun, Jul 04 2010, 11:36 pm
Ok, so my conclusion from all this is that I should get her assessed by a PT sooner rather than later to iron out any potential problems later on.
For those of you in Israel, how do I do this? I'm macabbi. Do I simply get a hafnayah from my dr and then make an appointment with a PT listed?

goldapoe

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 1:33 am
cubbie wrote:
Ok, so my conclusion from all this is that I should get her assessed by a PT sooner rather than later to iron out any potential problems later on.
For those of you in Israel, how do I do this? I'm macabbi. Do I simply get a hafnayah from my dr and then make an appointment with a PT listed?

Start with a hafnayah from your doctor. He might send you through the process with hitpatchut hayeled. Hopefully it will only be a PT eval and you will only need to do that.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes!

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 3:01 am
c.c.cookie wrote:
I have one sister who didn't crawl, and she was always behind both in gross and fine motor skills. She couldn't jump rope like her friends (a big deal in Israel), couldn't cut, color and draw nicely etc. Is she smart? Very. But she still had trouble in that area.

Yes, exactly like me.
According to current reasurch, this is not BECAUSE she didn't crawl, it's just that crawling is another thing on the list of things that are challenging for her.

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 5:17 am
chanchy123 wrote:
c.c.cookie wrote:
I have one sister who didn't crawl, and she was always behind both in gross and fine motor skills. She couldn't jump rope like her friends (a big deal in Israel), couldn't cut, color and draw nicely etc. Is she smart? Very. But she still had trouble in that area.

Yes, exactly like me.
According to current reasurch, this is not BECAUSE she didn't crawl, it's just that crawling is another thing on the list of things that are challenging for her.

I guess that makes sense, because my dd who had a hard time with crawling, and only did it at 13 months with therapy, is also not the greatest with fine or gross motor skills, though she's not as bad as my sister was.

cubbie

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 9:16 am
Hi, thank you again for all your advice, just to update you...
Shirel had her first physio session today, it turns out that she has hyperlaxity, which is why she's holding her legs so wide open, and not progressing physically. We have some exercises to work on, and she's having another session in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted...

goldapoe

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 9:30 am
I'm so glad to hear you had an evaluation and an answer why she wasn't crawling. Early intervention is where it's at!!

cubbie

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 2:23 pm
My little monkey is EVERYWHERE - B'H!!!
She loves the new found adventures she can have now that she can explore everywhere.
She still holds her legs really wide apart when she goes on fingers and toes, or when she crawls to a toy box and pulls herself up on it. She isn't yet pulling up on the sofa or in her crib - but it doesn't look like it will take long. We have our second physio session on Monday so we'll see what we need to work on next.
For anyone who isn't sure about getting early intervention - do it!!!

imamama

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 3:04 pm
I'm so glad your daughter is making progress. Smile

I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything other people said. I just wanted to mention that when people say the crawling motion is important for brain development, it doesn't mean that the child won't be smart if they don't learn to crawl. It doesn't have to do with intelligence or how they walk, run or dance in the future. It has to do with how your brain learns to process information. Not crawling can be a sign of sensory integration issues. And the earlier you catch that, the better.

cubbie

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 3:26 pm
imamama wrote:
I'm so glad your daughter is making progress. Smile

I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything other people said. I just wanted to mention that when people say the crawling motion is important for brain development, it doesn't mean that the child won't be smart if they don't learn to crawl. It doesn't have to do with intelligence or how they walk, run or dance in the future. It has to do with how your brain learns to process information. Not crawling can be a sign of sensory integration issues. And the earlier you catch that, the better.

Firstly thank you!
It's funny because after this whole thread, I asked the physio where she stands on the topic, and she said that the study supporting the need for a baby to crawl for brain development has been long proved as wrong and that not crawling is a symptom rather than a cause. And therefore if a baby is intentionally getting around by a means other than crawling she doesn't see the need to work on crawling. The problem is when a baby is unable to intentionally get from place a to place b, that certain cognative developement cannot take place.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics