Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Turning over to sleep

sped

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 8:06 am
For the most part, we have been careful to put ds to sleep on his back or side, even though he prefers his stomach. At times, I would put him to sleep on his stomach and flip him after he was asleep. Even more than I, dh is really makpid. Now ds is 3 months and turns over on his own to his stomach when sleeping, but can't turn back. How much do we fight him on this and keep turning him back? Or is it okay once he turns himself into that position?
Does anyone know?
TIA

Tehilla

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 10:28 am
sped wrote:
For the most part, we have been careful to put ds to sleep on his back or side, even though he prefers his stomach. At times, I would put him to sleep on his stomach and flip him after he was asleep. Even more than I, dh is really makpid. Now ds is 3 months and turns over on his own to his stomach when sleeping, but can't turn back. How much do we fight him on this and keep turning him back? Or is it okay once he turns himself into that position?
Does anyone know?
TIA

Once your child can turn him/herself over onto the stomach to sleep, you really don't need to worry. However, you should still be cautious and responsible and not leave pillows/stuffed animals/big blanket type things in the crib.

My pediatrician actually told me not to worry if a child prefers to sleep on the side or stomach even before being able to flip over.

By the way, don't be too "makpid" and ignore lots of tummy time and end up with a baby with a flat head in the back. My oldest has that and had a few issues from it. B"H they were able to be taken care of, but it wasn't so easy.

mominlkwd

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 10:35 am
I recently asked my dr. about this as our last baby turned over earlier than my others. he told me that there is still a risk of SIDS until a year but once the baby turns over by themselves they tell you to leave it, you can't really keep turning them over every time they flip. He said just make sure as the above mother said, no pillows, stuffed animals, bumpers etc. and keep an eye out.

sped

Post Sun, Aug 15 2010, 11:06 am
Thanks so much for your replies. I will pass them on to dh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics