Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Israel health food stores

Shemmie

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 8:21 pm
We're coming to Israel for over a month and I am looking for access to certain "heath food store" type products including:
- coconut oil
- cold pressed olive oil
- spouted grain breads
- oragnic frozen fruit
- "free and clear" laundry detergent
- organic plain yogurt
- raw honey
- coconut milk

We will be in Yerushalayim a lot of the time.
Thanks in advance!!

Marion

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 12:45 am
Coconut milk, coconut oil, and olive oil can be found in the regular supermarkets. You'll be hardpressed to find ANY frozen fruit (organic or otherwise).

For anything else you can try Nitzat haDuvdevan on Kanfei Nesharim at the beginning of Givat Shaul, or Anise (a chain; they're everywhere!).

hila

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 12:58 am
Most health stores and some supermarkets have fresh organic fruit and veg.
Nitsat Haduvdevan has branches in GIvat Shaul, Agripas and Efrat.

Also in Givat Shaul is Zmora.

Angel's bread called Einan is available everywhere in Jerusalem, andis made from sprouted wheat.

Not sure about "free and clear" but the health stores have environmental laundry detergent .

And as for raw honey - I assume they have it too.

mandksima

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 1:44 am
Shemmie wrote:
We're coming to Israel for over a month and I am looking for access to certain "heath food store" type products including:
- coconut oil
- cold pressed olive oil
- spouted grain breads
- oragnic frozen fruit
- "free and clear" laundry detergent
- organic plain yogurt
- raw honey
- coconut milk

We will be in Yerushalayim a lot of the time.
Thanks in advance!!

You can find all of your list here but be prepared that some will be pricey because it is imported. Cold- pressed, unrefined, organic coconut oil is over 30 shekels for a small jar so if you have room, I suggest you pack a few really well )in bubble wrap and plastic ziploc bags) and bring them with you. My MIL has brought for me before. The coconut oil in the supermarket is not that kind and is most likely refined, sitting with the refined palm kernel oil. Good quality olive oil is everywhere although organic might only be in health food stores.

Better supermarkets have half an aisle devoted to health food store brands. You can find some stuff there plus there will most probably be organic yogurts there as well. Coconut milk in regular form in cans is everywhere but if you want something organic, then look in the health food store. Raw honey is also expensive here, perhaps bring a few with you.

The Teva Market near us is huge and has everything but you have to watch out for hechsherim. A lot of the stuff comes from Europe and China. Does anyone know if there is one in Yerushalim?

Mrs.K

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 1:45 am
There's an Anise in Ramat Eshkol.

Inspired

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 1:49 am
All health food stores carry plenty of sprouted breads,

hila are you sure einan is sprouted?

hila

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 1:59 am
Here is something from the Angel site

לחם עינן פרוס
לחם מחיטה מלאה טרום נבוטה, עשיר במינרלים ויטמינים, וסיבים תזונתיים.
משקל-750 גרם

I guess it is pre sprouted

shalhevet

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 2:44 am
I buy Einan, but I don't think health food junkies would really call it health food - it is made from whole wheat flour, but it has quite a bit of iffy stuff in it.

Health food stores carry better options.

curlgirl

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 3:05 am
There is also a health food store in the Katamon area if that's where you'll be.

Zmora Organi on 1 Amatzia street.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Aug 31 2010, 3:32 am
shalhevet wrote:
I buy Einan, but I don't think health food junkies would really call it health food - it is made from whole wheat flour, but it has quite a bit of iffy stuff in it.

Health food stores carry better options.
Trust me: it's NOT what she's looking for. I think she wants something like Ezekiel bread, and I believe Eden Teva market carries that type. Eden Teva is in Netanya, Ra'anana, Kfar Saba, Or Yehuda and Rishon. I don't think I missed any.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions