Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is spaying/neutering pets halachicly allowed

sushilover

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 8:45 pm
My friend is getting a rabbit and she keeps on talking about spaying/neutering him/her (Supposedly, you can't tell the gender until it's four months or so)
I seem to remember in the back of my mind that this is a halachic shaila. Am I dreaming, or is it actually a problem?

anon

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 8:51 pm
There is an issue, but there are was of getting around it (something about "giving it up", havng someone else spay it, and then taking it back).

JC

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 8:52 pm
You are right and it is a problem to neuter (spaying is fine AFAIK)
But I do know there are ways around it either get the pet after it had been neutered, or it may be OK if your vet does it (some people do their own neutering - ick).
AYLOR

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 8:55 pm
I can't give psak, but from where I live, it's considered inhumane NOT to spay/neuter because there is a huge problem with overpopulation, and then the animals are killed/abandoned/literally left on street corners in the community. So we hold that it's OK to do, because you are being responsible to your community by doing this.

sushilover

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 9:01 pm
K thanks, I'll let her know. She has no idea that it's even a question...I guess it's not a shailah that comes up too often in boro park! LOL

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 9:39 pm
Yes it is a shaila, and according to the vet, it's healthier for the cat not to be neutered. they live longer and tend to stay healthier. If she is getting only one bunny, there is little point to it, as its not likely to leave her house and meet other bunnies and have babies...A cat or a dog is different.

michal817

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 9:49 pm
My rav gave us a heter to spay our cat, but your friend would definitely have to ask her own shaila, as the circumstances are very different. Is there even a need to spay/neuter it? Isn't it just going to stay in its cage all the time?

watergirl

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 11:43 am
I have had a few dogs/cats spayed/neutered, shailahs asked. I was told that of course its better to get a pet from a shelter where its done before you get the pet (as well as that its always better to adopt from a shelter!). But when thats not the case, I was told to make a contract, saying that the pet is the property of the clinic. I even had them pay me $1 for the dog in a few clinics! It was like selling chametz. But a few clinics told me that in the paperwork I sign, which I read and found it was indeed the case, that while the pet is in their care, it is actuially their pet legally. I dont get it, but thats what it said.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions