Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Does anyone use an oven to heat food on shabbos/yt lunch?
Previous  1  2

JRKmommy

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 10:06 am
For Yom Tov, if you have a Sabbath mode on your oven it takes care of the oven light issue. If you have a Sabbath mode and want to heat dinner on Shabbat, I suppose that you could start the Sabbath mode early, timing the end of the 72 hours to coincide with when you need to remove the food for Shabbat. Then, you could stick food into an oven that was still hot enough to warm food, but was technically off.

AYLOR re the fridge issue. Ours said that it is not a problem as long as the light doesn't go on, because the basic prohibition is starting a fire, and a fridge uses electricity to produce cold, not heat.

Roses4me

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 10:29 am
I have shabbat mode on my oven so temp change is not a prob. My husband asked about it and was told that to put in dry food on shabbos day is allowed, but it should be in a dish thats not used just for baking (so it doesn't look like cooking)

mrsERK

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 10:52 am
Roses4me wrote:
I have shabbat mode on my oven so temp change is not a prob. My husband asked about it and was told that to put in dry food on shabbos day is allowed, but it should be in a dish thats not used just for baking (so it doesn't look like cooking)

Would you be willing to say who your husband asked? I would love to ask myself... I've been dying to be able to do this!

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 10:18 pm
JRKmommy wrote:
For Yom Tov, if you have a Sabbath mode on your oven it takes care of the oven light issue. If you have a Sabbath mode and want to heat dinner on Shabbat, I suppose that you could start the Sabbath mode early, timing the end of the 72 hours to coincide with when you need to remove the food for Shabbat. Then, you could stick food into an oven that was still hot enough to warm food, but was technically off.

AYLOR re the fridge issue. Ours said that it is not a problem as long as the light doesn't go on, because the basic prohibition is starting a fire, and a fridge uses electricity to produce cold, not heat.

Not in my oven it doesnt. I have to turn the light on in the oven before setting shabbos mode (and it stays on all yom tov)-or else it goes on when I open the door.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen