Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Does this exist anywhere? Boys school w/o school on Sunday?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

BrachaC

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 1:42 pm
I read through this thread and have a couple of comments-

Everyone has a different set of life circumstances. While I am not opposed to school on Sunday mornings and it would basically fit into my life without a huge adjustment- I do have an issue with all the people who think that once you have Shabbo for family time you have enough. My husband has a full time job in outreach- that translates into working a lot on Shabbos, hosting people, hosting onegs, going away on Shabbatonim etc. We HATE Shabbos homework. For us it can be the most intense day of the week, and it is hard to find the time to sit down and review an entire perek of Chumash etc. For someone else Sunday is key for being able to visit or even take care of aging parents. I had neighbors growing up who it was a big problem for them that their boys were not available until the afternoon, because their parents live an hour from us and starting to go somewhere on Sunday afternoon and to fit in visiting, shopping, some cooking and cleaning for their parents was tough...

It is so easy to boil down the argument to apple picking and monopoly playing, but in reality- there are many more layers to this issue.

gold21

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 8:52 pm
my son starts sunday school IY"H in january of next year, in middle of Pre1A. I think its way too early. I think the whole school system has room for improvement. theres too much pressure and too much sitting at a desk. we need to offer children more than just the opportunity to memorize and spit back information, more than just the opportunity to sit at a desk in class all day with a few short recess breaks. we need to have hands-on learning opportunities. we need to offer more extracurrical athletic opportunities. we need to make school positive and low-stress. I think school is so intense these days. its not natural for a child to sit behind a desk all day. honestly, why should the Pre1A have a Rebbe? I think they still need a female at that age. theyre still so young. anyways. I heard great things about the yeshiva in far rockaway, I think its called darchei torah?

Last edited by gold21 on Sun, Oct 10 2010, 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 8:54 pm
gold21 wrote:
my son starts sunday school IY"H in january of next year, in middle of Pre1A. I think its way too early. I think the whole school system has room for improvement. theres too much pressure and too much sitting at a desk. we need to offer children more than just the opportunity to memorize and spit back information, more than just the opportunity to sit at a desk in class all day with a few short recess breaks. we need to have hands-on learning opportunities. we need to offer more extracurrical athletic opportunities. we need to make school positive and low-stress. I think school is so intense these days. its not natural for a child to sit behind a desk all da honestly, why should the Pre1A have a Rebe? I think they still need a female at that age. theyre still so young. anyways. I heard great things about the yeshiva in far rockaway, I think its called darchei torah?

Do they have no trips or other outings or games? Really ?

gold21

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 8:56 pm
they have TONS of hands-on outings and games in nursery and kindergarten. its great. then in Pre1A it fizzles out a bit..

gold21

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 8:59 pm
my oldest is 4 KAH, so really I dont have much experience with the current school system. however, being as I am 25 and was in school myself about 8 years ago? I definitely remember the school system of 8 years ago, and I think that for many of us, it is too much. you need to have excellent focusing skills, not a trace of ADD, and good memorization skills, to sail through your school years.

gold21

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 9:02 pm
and while I am thankfully not dumb, I have pretty poor focusing skills (unless the topic interests me) and possibly a trace of ADD (diagnosed by myself LOL)... I did pretty well in school thanks to strong social support (aka amazing friends with amazing notes!)

gryp

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 9:59 pm
I thought I would hate sending my kids to school on Sundays but I was wrong. My boys were so excited to start having school on Sunday. For us Sunday is just like Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. School is from 9-4 and the learn Limudei Kodesh full day.
We have plenty of family time on Shabbos as no one takes naps. Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 10:22 pm
Just a note that my son went apple picking today after he finished school. Smile
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics