Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Do you eat hot food Shabbos morning?
Previous  1  2

louche

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 6:56 pm
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
greenfire wrote:
as I understand it - there was an era where jews would be prosecuted for keeping shabbos & that is when cholent became the norm - it mean something like hot pot ...

It comes from French
- chaude lente - hot slow
and some say it's
- chaude (à) long - hot for long

There are as many theories about the origin of the word cholent as there are about the origins of "kugel". Another theory is "shul ende" (synagogue's end) which makes sense only if you pronounce it Choo-lent, not Chaw-lent.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 7:03 pm
wiki says
Quote:
Max Weinreich traces the etymology of cholent to the Latin present participle calentem, meaning "that which is hot" (as in calorie), via Old French chalant (present participle of chalt, from the verb chaloir, "to warm").[10][11] One widely quoted folk etymology, relying on the French pronunciation of cholent or the Central and Western European variants shalent or shalet, derives the word from French chaud ("hot") and lent ("slow"). Another folk etymology derives cholent (or sholen) from the Hebrew she’lan, which means "that rested [overnight]". This refers to the old time cooking process of Jewish families placing their individual pots of cholent into the town baker's ovens that always stayed hot and slow-cooked the food overnight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholent

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 7:07 pm
louche wrote:
Besiyata Dishmaya wrote:
greenfire wrote:
as I understand it - there was an era where jews would be prosecuted for keeping shabbos & that is when cholent became the norm - it mean something like hot pot ...

It comes from French
- chaude lente - hot slow
and some say it's
- chaude (à) long - hot for long

There are as many theories about the origin of the word cholent as there are about the origins of "kugel". Another theory is "shul ende" (synagogue's end) which makes sense only if you pronounce it Choo-lent, not Chaw-lent.

If the theory of cholent is because of shul's end, why hot?

I heard that the origin of the word cholent was invented in France by Rashi.

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 8:16 pm
We usually dont do cholent since it often causes stomach aches. Instead, we divide our chicken soup with matza balls, half for friday night, half goes into the crockpot for shabbos lunch.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 9:45 pm
We have cholent every week-rain, shine, heat, cold.

elf123

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 9:53 pm
flowerpower wrote:
We have cholent every week-rain, shine, heat, cold.

Here too. In fact when there's no company, our lunch is cholent and a few yummy salads. I don't know what I would do if I had to start thinking of different main dishes for Shabbos lunch!

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 4:12 pm
pumpernickle wrote:
Off topic but couldn't resist.

CHOLENT IS LIKE A CREDIT CARD.
ENJOY NOW, PAY LATER!

Rolling Laughter Oh so true!

Greenfire, what you wrote is true. There's a wonderful cookbook-come-history book called A Drizzle of Honey based on gentile testimony against maranos that involved what's served/not served in those crypto jewish houses.

Our kids like having brown eggs from chamin in the morning (we usually make parve chamin). DD loves it with jachnoon, nonetheless!

But to answer the title question, does anyone eat food in the morning before kiddush? Coffee or maybe a piece of biscuit, I understand, but real food?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 4:17 pm
Depends on what time you make kiddush. If it's 2 PM or later, I'd be surprised if someone had a taynis until then. By us, a lot of shuls have coffee and cookies in the AM.

hannah95

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 5:29 pm
Here, we don't do breakfast on shabbat. Kids are at schul and I'm sleeping a little later than usual, so no need.
If the kids come back before their father we'll do kiddush and they'll have something mezonot. But usually we make kiddush, eat a few nibbles for brachot, then go directly to motzi and lunch.
As far as hot or cold, we mostly have hot, dafina is a year round thing here. But sometimes in the summer, we do have a few cold lunches, when it's hot and no one can eat daf.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus