Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Buying a display case/breakfront thingy

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 10:33 am
This apt has only a small fancy storage area and we'd like to purchase something ...any idea of where to go and how much to budget? Thank.s

brooklyn

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 11:06 am
Why not try Ikea. Or if you want something better Taubus.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 11:08 am
You can sometimes find great stuff in consignment stores. I found a beautiful breakfront for very cheap and in great condition.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 1:42 pm
My parents bought us a curio cabinet when we moved, in Macys. iIwent to choose of course. It's about 6.5' tall & 2.5' wide & is a glass on 3 sides, triommed in wood. The shelves are glass, & the back wall is a mirror. It doesn't take up a ton of space & looks great. Come over & see!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 1:47 pm
Check out Craigslist.

carrot

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 1:52 pm
What about good ole' Craigslist?

BTW how small is small?

MMEC123

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 6:42 pm
I also say craigslist. We got some great stuff on there!

queen

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 8:43 pm
Did anyone mention CraigsList yet???????????????

yoyosma

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 8:53 pm
I just bought some really nice stuff on Craigslist!!!!!!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:40 am
I don't think I want to buy furniture I haven't seen and have it shipped. but thanks for the idea.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:45 am
Generally, with Craigslist (at least w/ furniture), you buy stuff from people that live IN YOUR AREA, it's generally not shipped. That's one reason why buyers and sellers like Craigslist.

You can check the listings for NYC area and see what people have. Generally people post pictures so you can at least get an idea of what the piece looks like. If you like the pic and description, then you go and check it out.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 11:03 am
We don't have a car so I suppose a store that delivers better suits our needs.

I hate the way Craigs List is organized.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 7:52 pm
If you don't have a car you would still have to arrange some sort of transportation to go to the store?

So you can look at Craigslist and see if anything catches your fancy and go look. After that it is not a hard thing to hire someone to go pick it up.

Not that I have any personal benefit if you use Craigslist, do what suits you, but I personally have had a lot of success getting really nice things really cheap. Things I definitely could not afford new, and probably could not have found either. I am proud to say that I have a home furnished by Craigslist!

Mommy912

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 9:23 pm
I don't know what your style is SaraG, but this one is pretty and CHEAP - $275.
Breakfront Link

yoyosma

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 12:05 am
SaraG, I just used it, I will tell you what I did.
You just go to the NY furniture section, type in "curio cabinet" or "armoire" or "china closet" into the search box, and it will pick out those selections for you. You can even specify which areas in NY, if you only want Brooklyn, click Brooklyn!
As for not seeing the items, generally what you do is, you make an appointment with the seller to SEE the furniture, if you like it, you take it home. Move quickly though, because some of these items move fast!
Also, DH and I rented a U-haul for our furniture for the day, maybe not something you want to do, but the point is, you can! And I think there is someone in CH who will do the moving for you if you dont want to. I can find out his name.
Good luck!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 9:41 am
No kidding? Okay, guess I have to think outside the box a little.

Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars