Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Can YOU tell the difference between a CZ and a diamond??
Previous  1  2

jewels

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 8:12 am
Mirabelle wrote:
MiamiMommy wrote:
This is Tacori for QVC (I happen to LOVE Tacori). You'd never know it was a fake!

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp......eRing

Very pretty, I also love Tacori..I wish QVC had the Tacori in real gold and not silver!

Most jewelers who carry Tacori can get you a ring and cz and just set it for you. My husband does it all the time for people who are going on vacation or just want to keep their real stones in a safe.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 8:12 am
jewels wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:
Raisin wrote:
for that price you can get a pretty gold or silver ring with diamond chips. (ie very small diamonds) check ice.com. they have a bunch of nice ones. they do not look like engagement rings if that is what you want though.

No, I already have a ring with diamonds on it (actually I have a few, one from DH others are from the family), its just not solitaire engagement style....

If I get one I only was a real gold band. I also want it to look classy.

It's better to spend on a really good quality cz than low quality small diamonds. The diamonds end up looking really dead in a very short amount of time because the quality and cut is so poor.

I guess I would need to see the CZs in real life in order to see how "real" they look. Where is a good place to buy CZs? I wonder if the jewlery section at Costco has them? I'll be there tomorrow and check it out!

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 8:14 am
jewels wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:
MiamiMommy wrote:
This is Tacori for QVC (I happen to LOVE Tacori). You'd never know it was a fake!

Very pretty, I also love Tacori..I wish QVC had the Tacori in real gold and not silver!

Most jewelers who carry Tacori can get you a ring and cz and just set it for you. My husband does it all the time for people who are going on vacation or just want to keep their real stones in a safe.

Really? That's cool. Where is your husband's shop?? Very Happy
How much do Tacori settings go for?

jewels

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 8:14 am
Mirabelle wrote:
jewels wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:
Raisin wrote:
for that price you can get a pretty gold or silver ring with diamond chips. (ie very small diamonds) check ice.com. they have a bunch of nice ones. they do not look like engagement rings if that is what you want though.

No, I already have a ring with diamonds on it (actually I have a few, one from DH others are from the family), its just not solitaire engagement style....

If I get one I only was a real gold band. I also want it to look classy.

It's better to spend on a really good quality cz than low quality small diamonds. The diamonds end up looking really dead in a very short amount of time because the quality and cut is so poor.

I guess I would need to see the CZs in real life in order to see how "real" they look. Where is a good place to buy CZs? I wonder if the jewlery section at Costco has them? I'll be there tomorrow and check it out!

Noo don't go to Costco. You're better off going to an actual jeweler who knows the difference between the different quality czs

jewels

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 8:16 am
Mirabelle wrote:
jewels wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:
MiamiMommy wrote:

Not in the NYC area LOL
Depending on diamond content and white gold/yellow/platinum it can range in the low $2000 up to high $10,000

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 8:18 am
lilacdreams wrote:
a family friend who was a gem person, told us that you cant see the difference to the naked eye. But for some reason I always suspect the huge diamonds are fake...but they still look nice.

I worked for a jeweler for many years, and he sold lots of fakes. In fact, he often recommended them! However, he always said that the biggest "giveaway" was when someone wore a "diamond" that couldn't possibly be real, given the person's general economic status, age, etc. In other words, it has to look like you could have afforded it.

He also told people that they should make a decision about whether they were buying diamonds as an investment or for jewelry. If they're buying for investment, it pays to purchase as perfect a stone as possible and wear it sparingly. Most people, though, want to wear their diamonds as jewelry. If the value increases over the years, fine, but that's not their main goal. He always suggested lesser-quality diamonds or fakes in those cases.

I'm sure he could have made more money by pushing chossons and others into bigger or more expensive stones, but everyone who bought from him really appreciated his honesty and became customers for life.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 8:18 am
jewels wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:
jewels wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:
MiamiMommy wrote:

Not in the NYC area LOL
Depending on diamond content and white gold/yellow/platinum it can range in the low $2000 up to high $10,000

Awww, too bad.
But thanks for the good idea!

jewels

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 8:31 am
Mirabelle wrote:
jewels wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:
jewels wrote:
Mirabelle wrote:
MiamiMommy wrote:

Not in the NYC area LOL

Awww, too bad.
But thanks for the good idea!

My pleasure! Very Happy Good luck!

Hippi Dippi

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 8:31 am
I can always tell if a diamond is real or not. I own real diamonds and one Asha diamond...AND I AND NO ONE ELSE CAN TELL THEM APART (without electronically testing); even my jeweler doesn't know. Yes, to that extent. Now I kind of feel annoyed that so much money was spent on natural diamonds when I could have gone with Asha at a fraction of the price. Please check them out! www.ashadiamonds.com

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 8:44 am
Fox wrote:
lilacdreams wrote:
a family friend who was a gem person, told us that you cant see the difference to the naked eye. But for some reason I always suspect the huge diamonds are fake...but they still look nice.

I worked for a jeweler for many years, and he sold lots of fakes. In fact, he often recommended them! However, he always said that the biggest "giveaway" was when someone wore a "diamond" that couldn't possibly be real, given the person's general economic status, age, etc. In other words, it has to look like you could have afforded it.

He also told people that they should make a decision about whether they were buying diamonds as an investment or for jewelry. If they're buying for investment, it pays to purchase as perfect a stone as possible and wear it sparingly. Most people, though, want to wear their diamonds as jewelry. If the value increases over the years, fine, but that's not their main goal. He always suggested lesser-quality diamonds or fakes in those cases.

I'm sure he could have made more money by pushing chossons and others into bigger or more expensive stones, but everyone who bought from him really appreciated his honesty and became customers for life.

I totally agree about how having one that is too big for your socio-economic status would be a giveaway.
I would base one on the size that most of my friends have, so say between 1 and 2 carats.

I know I've been in the mall and noticed that the girl ringing up my purchase with the long fake nails and hair extensions had a huge CZ on. My grandmother on the other hand, had a 4 carat diamond (that was real) and she certainly looked the part of an elegant elderly wealthy lady.

greeneyes

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 8:50 am
When dh & I went to a jewelery store to shop for a replacement diamond ring for me (my engagement ring got lost), the jeweler actually suggested that I get a CZ. I asked him what the difference between a diamond and a CZ is, & he said "peace of mind - some people just like to know that they're wearing an actual diamond."

So I ended up choosing a beautiful white gold setting with 2 small real diamonds on each side of the CZ (I was drawn to that style because it was similar to my original ring), & it looks beautiful. I definitely don't think you can tell that it's a CZ. I think that over time the CZ may have to be replaced, but that won't be a big expense.

tizunabi

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 11:02 am
coming from my BIL who rates diamonds for quality and gives certificates and such: you CANNOT tell the difference between good CZ and a diamond, once the stone is already in a setting. They only way to tell is to take it out of the setting and look at it.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 12:17 pm
A lab created diamond is much cheaper then a "real" diamond. Under a loop Jewelers cannot tell the difference. Legally you can be sold a lab created diamond and be told it is real, because chemically speaking it is.

A Lab created diamond is not the same as a CZ, a lab diamond has the exact chemical properties as real diamonds.

mirror

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 12:42 pm
Diamonds have imperfections that CZs don't have. A diamond is valued by how few imperfections it has.

It's similar to us and Malachim. Hashem values us more than angels because we have imperfections that angels don't have.

I buy my CZ jewelery from http://www.evesaddiction.com/
Much cheaper than other sites.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 1:59 pm
About those elderly ladies who wera two diamond rings - maybe they were married twice?

I have a few, on the small side, pieces of jewelry, but they are "real" and although maybe only I can tell, it matters to me.

When I got engaged I had the choice of a larger diamond with a lower quality, and I didn't choose it.

I doubt that I could tell the difference. I guess what matters is the wearer's feelings. Who else is looking that closely? It's like when I found the perfect shade of eye liner - that was for my feeling good about it. Would anyone else notice the exact shade of gray?

With today's economy, it would be a bracha for fake jewelry to become more accepted. In the 1980s fake pearls were in fashion for a while - women even wore fake pink pearls to weddings.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 2:55 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
About those elderly ladies who wera two diamond rings - maybe they were married twice?

I have a few, on the small side, pieces of jewelry, but they are "real" and although maybe only I can tell, it matters to me.

When I got engaged I had the choice of a larger diamond with a lower quality, and I didn't choose it.

I doubt that I could tell the difference. I guess what matters is the wearer's feelings. Who else is looking that closely? It's like when I found the perfect shade of eye liner - that was for my feeling good about it. Would anyone else notice the exact shade of gray?

With today's economy, it would be a bracha for fake jewelry to become more accepted. In the 1980s fake pearls were in fashion for a while - women even wore fake pink pearls to weddings.

Yes, I agree it would be a bracha.

With those elderly ladies, you could be right, but I don't want to ask.
I am 99% sure that I am getting my mother's ring eventually, but who knows, I will probably need those diamonds to pass on!

LeahW

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 11:43 pm
jewels wrote:
My husband's in the business so he can tell in a second as can I but only because he trained me.

Even the really good ones? My best friend has a CZ. After she got it, we went together to the "diamond district" in Tel Aviv to do an experiment. NONE of the merchants could tell it was a fake. I don't think they were just being polite.

So, what is YOUR secret?

jflower

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 4:40 am
Sounds like a good idea to get a good quality cz?

But what makes a cz great? Where to buy?

TIA

jewels

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 7:07 am
LeahW wrote:
jewels wrote:
My husband's in the business so he can tell in a second as can I but only because he trained me.

Even the really good ones? My best friend has a CZ. After she got it, we went together to the "diamond district" in Tel Aviv to do an experiment. NONE of the merchants could tell it was a fake. I don't think they were just being polite.

So, what is YOUR secret?

If it's set it is definitely harder. Also it depends on what type of jewelry store she went into. I don't know what his secret is but I know that he can tell and he's picked out czs from a distance. He happens to have a really good eye, plus years and years of experience along with a degree. He also deals with higher end stones, not low color/clarity so that may have alot to do with it as well. I'm sure he's made mistakes but in general he's right on. I'm not as good as him but there is a difference between a cz and a diamond. If there wouldn't be than nobody would care right? When you look at a cz, even a good one there isn't any depth, color, and there's a glassiness to it. It's too blue, too white. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well but you can just tell. A good diamond has more depth, more color, it catches the light differently.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Nov 17 2010, 7:30 am
jewels wrote:
LeahW wrote:
jewels wrote:

So, what is YOUR secret?

If it's set it is definitely harder. Also it depends on what type of jewelry store she went into. I don't know what his secret is but I know that he can tell and he's picked out czs from a distance. He happens to have a really good eye, plus years and years of experience along with a degree. He also deals with higher end stones, not low color/clarity so that may have alot to do with it as well. I'm sure he's made mistakes but in general he's right on. I'm not as good as him but there is a difference between a cz and a diamond. If there wouldn't be than nobody would care right? When you look at a cz, even a good one there isn't any depth, color, and there's a glassiness to it. It's too blue, too white. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well but you can just tell. A good diamond has more depth, more color, it catches the light differently.

CZs can also appear flawless, which most diamonds lack. Although, a diamond is a diamond, there's no disputing that Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains