Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Explaining the concept of death

amother

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 5:20 pm
So I had to tell my preschooler about death and passing away due to some circumstances.
She keeps asking deeper questions than I feel I am equipped to handle.
Can you help me come up with an easy digestible way to answer her questions?

Do people who pass away fly up to Hashem?

Do only old and sick people die?

clowny

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 7:00 pm
Explain to her that its only the neshama that flies up to Hashem. Just like when you are asleep your neshama flies up to Hashem and then in the morning when you wake up Hashem gives you back your neshama and thats why we say 'modeh ani' when we wake up. But sometimes hashem takes away the neshama and sadly enough he never returns it.

My kids once also asked me if only old and sick people die. My answer was that we have to keep davening to Hashem that nobody should die, whether your old or young, sick or healthy and that moshiach should come.They didnt ask further. Depending on what kind of kid you have, she might not be satisfied with this answer and keep questioning you.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 7:19 pm
clowny wrote:
Explain to her that its only the neshama that flies up to Hashem. Just like when you are asleep your neshama flies up to Hashem and then in the morning when you wake up Hashem gives you back your neshama and thats why we say 'modeh ani' when we wake up. But sometimes hashem takes away the neshama and sadly enough he never returns it.
Thanks. But then she will ask where the body goes, and I am not ready to discuss burial with her yet.
clowny wrote:
My kids once also asked me if only old and sick people die. My answer was that we have to keep davening to Hashem that nobody should die, whether your old or young, sick or healthy and that moshiach should come.They didnt ask further. Depending on what kind of kid you have, she might not be satisfied with this answer and keep questioning you.
That's a good answer. I still feel like I need to give her more of a straight answer, but I am not happy with lying and saying yes only the old and sick, and I am not happy letting her in on the fact that other people are niftar as well.

Simple1

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 7:33 pm
clowny wrote:

I would be careful how to word this because you don't want her to start being afraid to go to sleep.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers