Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Should a 4 y/o understand the concept of milchigs/fleishigs
Previous  1  2  3

imaima

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 12:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
😆. He actually does have a hard time with comprehending certain things and is actually in therapy for that. I was just wondering if I need to make him wait a bit even if he doesn't understand

Waiting a bit is good to try.
Distracting/ redirecting works

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 1:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't have a lock on my fridge and he usually takes a yogurt when he's hungry so yeah it's hard to restrict him. Also he's a picky eater so even after I was successful in getting down 2 bites of chicken he still wants yogurt after... and then I regret I fed him chicken to begin with cuz I never know if it'll be a full portion or 2 bites

Interesting. I guess I live in a very different world. No lock on my fridge - but also no free reign.

If your house is set-up that kids can take what they need when they are hungry - then a four year old can't really be expected to understand that he needs to restrict himself on yogurt - he has no sense of time.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 5:46 pm
I don't know, my 4yo understands that we can't eat the yoghurt right after chicken. We also have soy yoghurts that if we really needed, we could provide.
I only wait 3 hours, as do all our children. When they get older, they can choose to keep longer like dh.
I get the picky eater thing. my 4yo is really difficult. I finally get them to agree on something they'll eat, and I make it for them, and then they refuse to eat it.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Oct 25 2023, 5:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
😆. He actually does have a hard time with comprehending certain things and is actually in therapy for that. I was just wondering if I need to make him wait a bit even if he doesn't understand

At that age it's about chinch. There's no chinuch if they don't understand. The age of chinuch depends on the kid and it sounds like your kid isn't ready. Is your family in denial about his delays in general?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics