Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Pouring water into can/jar without toveling

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 10:34 am
When I make canned soup, I pour a can of soup into a pot and then refill the can with water and pour it in. When I use up a jar of pasta sauce, I put some water or milk into the bottom, swill it around, and pour it onto my pasta (to use up the end of the jar). I was doing it recently one day and my dh said, "Wait, how can you do that? The can/jar isn't toveled!"

I never thought about that. Has anyone ever heard of this being a problem? It makes sense (yo'ure using it twice, so it's no longer disposable), but I just never thought of it before.

(I know it's a halachic question that should go to our rav. I'm just curious if I'm the only one that never thought of it.)

grin

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 10:44 am
nope, never thought about it and yup, we all do it.

I do know that a vessel that was intended by the manufacturer to be disposable (and indeed, in this case, you will dispose of it after this one use) doesn't need to be toiveled. Interesting Q though!

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 10:56 am
See, and I learned that you do need to tovel things like empty jars that you're using to store other foods. I just never connected that to using them to "store" water.

grin

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 11:06 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
See, and I learned that you do need to tovel things like empty jars that you're using to store other foods. I just never connected that to using them to "store" water.
some do toivel (due to their intention of continually re-using it) and others don't (based on manufacturer's intention) - ask your own rav

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 11:07 am
I don't think you have to. It's not "kayli l'seudah".

grin

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 11:26 am
chocolate moose wrote:
the geder of what vessel need toiveling is that which has direct contact with food. This includes any used in the food preparation.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 11:58 am
grin wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
the geder of what vessel need toiveling is that which has direct contact with food. This includes any used in the food preparation.

I would think that using it within a certain time frame for the same recipe is sort of using the jar/can for the same purpose. Like getting hte last bit of tomato sauce out or whatever.

I asked our Rav about reusing tin foil pans and he said if you use it once, then you need to throw it out or tovel it for the second time, but you can keep the original food in it. You just can't make something new. So you can store it in the fridge to keep, but you can't make a meatloaf after making chicken.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Dec 21 2010, 12:34 pm
I actually understood that it was only for dishes that would come in contact with foods ready to eat as they are. In other words, no one is eating milk or water swished around in the bottom of a can of tomato sauce, but once the sauce is done, you would need to tovel the can to use it to hold the finished product.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions