Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Recomendations for good romantic comedies / romantic movies
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

chilled

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 10:10 pm
Quote:
I am the OP. first of all, titanic is anything but clean. there is a very explicit s e x scene.

as the OP ill just say that for me the "garbage" as you put it does not matter. I know that sounds weird, but watching a movie with my husband is a way to relax and enjoy time together, and thats all.

okay, each to his/her own... I just don't see why you are so chilled about having your husband watch other women...

Shkoyach

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 6:47 am
chilled wrote:

GONE WITH THE WIND!!!! And I am in my 20's....!
I can't believe TITANIC didn't show up until the third page of posts!
And the SOUND OF MUSIC! Those are both classics.
Jane Austin's stories made into movies are great because they are old and clean.

uhm, Titanic, yeh shes naked when he paints her,,
sound of music.. what about kol isha?

everyone can find something wrong with everymovie out there
my dh and I watched madagascar not sure how to spell it, its a cartoon! and there was adult jokes in it.. so go figure..

either way, I love movies and I watch em by myself or with my girlfriends.. wish I knew kosher movies, my dh would love to watch with me, but the first sign of a tank top and he refuses to watch further Sad .. its good, but also ver hard.

Shkoyach

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 6:50 am
chilled wrote:

Jane Austin's stories made into movies are great because they are old and clean.

my dh and I watched madagascar not sure how to spell it, its a cartoon! and there was adult jokes in it.. so go figure..

either way, I love movies and I watch em by myself or with my girlfriends.. wish I knew kosher movies, my dh would love to watch with me, but the first sign of a tank top and he refuses to watch further Sad .. its good, but also ver hard.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 6:59 am
Not everyone rules tv is kol isha.
Not everyone rules "normal non Jewish dress" is a problem to have on screen.
It's a shaila for YOUR rav.

That said, older movies may have only tznius/almost tznius dress. Some chosen movies don't have women as (big) character. Some movies may have only one or two scenes to not watch and if you read the summary it's even easier to skip.
70 panim le Tora.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:13 am
Shkoyach wrote:
chilled wrote:

I am the OP of this thread. My husband and I watch all movies together.
And kol Isha?????? Um, no, its through the television so it is not kol isha, at least the way we learned it.

Capitalchick

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:19 am
Sigh...I can see that this is gonna be my favorite thread....

1) The American President
2) Return to me (no dirty scenes, other than some kissing)
3) The Bridges of Madison County (not terrible, but not for the uber-strict either)
4) First Knight

Oh man....you want romance? pick one of those!!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:20 am
Capitalchick wrote:

3) The Bridges of Madison County (not terrible, but not for the uber-strict either)
4) First Knight

oh, I LOOOOVE return to me. thanks for reminding me of that one.
I started watching bridges of madison county but I just did not like the premise of it being about an affair, but I do see why people that do like it like it. Smile

Capitalchick

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:22 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Capitalchick wrote:

4) First Knight

I started watching bridges of madison county but I just did not like the premise of it being about an affair, but I do see why people that do like it like it. Smile

It's funny, because I shared the film (Bridges) with a Lubavitch friend of mine, and she also couldn't get over the fact that it was an affair. And I totally get that, but I think I was just able to put that aside and enjoy the film because she was just so taken advantage of by her husband and children, and this wonderful man just totally respected her and treated her with such care and dignity. I loved it!!!! Very Happy

But, of course, I'm against infidelity!!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:28 am
Capitalchick wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Capitalchick wrote:

4) First Knight

It's funny, because I shared the film (Bridges) with a Lubavitch friend of mine, and she also couldn't get over the fact that it was an affair. And I totally get that, but I think I was just able to put that aside and enjoy the film because she was just so taken advantage of by her husband and children, and this wonderful man just totally respected her and treated her with such care and dignity. I loved it!!!! Very Happy

But, of course, I'm against infidelity!!!
right Smile thats why I said that I can totally understand why people DO like it, I just also could not get past that. its funny because I just saw another movie with meryl streep where she sort of has an affair and it was a mushy movie, but I could not get past the affair part (it was called falling in love - oldish movie)

Capitalchick

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:35 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Capitalchick wrote:

4) First Knight

As for the other two movies, I'll give you the premise:

1) American President: The US President is a widower with a young daughter. A tough-talkin' washington lobbyist thinks she's going to put the President in his place, but he instead falls in love with her, and she with him. It sounds corny, but my oh my...it takes my breath away!!! Very Happy

2) First Knight: Set in medieval times. King Arthur (I think) is going to take a bride in the coming weeks/months (of course a gorgeous woman). One day she is kidnapped (if I remember correctly) and saved by one of the king's knights. When she is saved, the knight and the woman fall in love/lust and want to be together, but she is torn between him and the king. Sigh....just a really romantic movie.

Ok, now I can't stop myself. I need to give you others:

1) Only You: Here's the amazon.com description: While director Norman Jewison's Moonstruck is a romantic cornerstone, this 1994 film is often overlooked. It's a sweet valentine about a young woman, aptly named Faith (Marisa Tomei, never cuter), who chases an unknown man to Europe because the name "Damon Bradley" was once spelled on an Ouija board as her true love. With her sister-in-law (Bonnie Hunt, whose own marriage seems to be falling apart), she travels the streets of Rome looking for Damon Bradley.

And lo and behold, she literally runs into a man claiming to be Damon. Is this meant to be? Faith certainly thinks so. Robert Downey Jr. (also never cuter) plays Damon in a role that showcases his charms. He shows his quick wit in handing Faith's advances and his absolute devotion to her when the winds change. Despite the cuteness factor, this is a movie to fall in love with.

2) You've got mail: This is less "hot" and more "cute". It's definitely lighter on the romance, but still very cute and sweet and, of course, there's a happy ending....it's a romantic comedy! Here's the description: Joe Fox (Tom Hanks) is a cheerfully rapacious merchant whose chain of book superstores is gobbling up smaller, more specialized shops such as the children's bookstore owned by Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan). Their lives run in close parallel in the same idealized neighborhood, yet they first meet anonymously, online, where they gradually nurture a warm, even intimate correspondence. As they begin to wonder whether this e-mail flirtation might lead them to be soul mates, however, they meet and clash over their colliding business fortunes.

Others that are just amazing!!!:
While You Were Sleeping
Notting Hill
Sleepless in Seattle
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
What Women Want

As you can see, I've got this category nailed....Ask me for more!!! Very Happy

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:37 am
Capitalchick wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Capitalchick wrote:

4) First Knight

As for the other two movies, I'll give you the premise:

1) American President: The US President is a widower with a young daughter. A tough-talkin' washington lobbyist thinks she's going to put the President in his place, but he instead falls in love with her, and she with him. It sounds corny, but my oh my...it takes my breath away!!! Very Happy

2) First Knight: Set in medieval times. King Arthur (I think) is going to take a bride in the coming weeks/months (of course a gorgeous woman). One day she is kidnapped (if I remember correctly) and saved by one of the king's knights. When she is saved, the knight and the woman fall in love/lust and want to be together, but she is torn between him and the king. Sigh....just a really romantic movie.

Ok, now I can't stop myself. I need to give you others:

1) Only You: Here's the amazon.com description: While director Norman Jewison's Moonstruck is a romantic cornerstone, this 1994 film is often overlooked. It's a sweet valentine about a young woman, aptly named Faith (Marisa Tomei, never cuter), who chases an unknown man to Europe because the name "Damon Bradley" was once spelled on an Ouija board as her true love. With her sister-in-law (Bonnie Hunt, whose own marriage seems to be falling apart), she travels the streets of Rome looking for Damon Bradley.

And lo and behold, she literally runs into a man claiming to be Damon. Is this meant to be? Faith certainly thinks so. Robert Downey Jr. (also never cuter) plays Damon in a role that showcases his charms. He shows his quick wit in handing Faith's advances and his absolute devotion to her when the winds change. Despite the cuteness factor, this is a movie to fall in love with.

2) You've got mail: This is less "hot" and more "cute". It's definitely lighter on the romance, but still very cute and sweet and, of course, there's a happy ending....it's a romantic comedy! Here's the description: Joe Fox (Tom Hanks) is a cheerfully rapacious merchant whose chain of book superstores is gobbling up smaller, more specialized shops such as the children's bookstore owned by Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan). Their lives run in close parallel in the same idealized neighborhood, yet they first meet anonymously, online, where they gradually nurture a warm, even intimate correspondence. As they begin to wonder whether this e-mail flirtation might lead them to be soul mates, however, they meet and clash over their colliding business fortunes.

Others that are just amazing!!!:
While You Were Sleeping
Notting Hill
Sleepless in Seattle
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
What Women Want

As you can see, I've got this category nailed....Ask me for more!!! Very Happy
Smile ive seen all of the ones that you mentioned (I love romantic comedy. thats my favorite type of movie) except for first knight. ill have to find that one to watch. thanks SmileSmile

Capitalchick

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:39 am
Here's the amazon link to first knight: http://www.amazon.com/First-Kn.....r=8-1

Capitalchick

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 8:43 am
Oh...have you seen "Chocolat"? French name...English movie. So enchanting!!

sunny90

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 12:42 pm
I LOVED Life As We Know It. It was just so good--funny, sweet, romantic...probably my favorite rom com thats come out in the past few years!

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 1:15 pm
Romancing the stone

150 request

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 1:56 pm
Dear John
message in a Bottle
The Last Song
all Nicholos Sparks books made into movies - their ausome! (So was the Notebook and A Walk to Remember which were both already posted)

The bounty Hunter
Noting Hill
The Proposal - really cute!
The Ugly Truth
New in town
Valentines Day
Father of the Bride
Meet The Parent
Meet The Fockers
and the newest addition - Meet the Little Fockers
Intolerable Cruelty

theres so much more I just cant remember at the time

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 2:54 pm
sunny90 wrote:
I LOVED Life As We Know It. It was just so good--funny, sweet, romantic...probably my favorite rom com thats come out in the past few years!
Just saw this one. LOVED it. Was very emotional. I cried my eyes out at some parts

Sparkle

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 5:44 pm
500 Days of Summer
Julie and Julia
Groundhog Day
An Ideal Husband
The Thing About My Folks (so funny!)
The Goodbye Girl
Just Like Heaven
Lost in Austen
What Women Want
Leap Year
America's Sweethearts

I tried to only list movies that weren't mentioned already...I may have repeated some, sorry.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 9:00 pm
Overboard starring Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell. It was really funny!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jan 29 2016, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

NativeMom

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 8:05 pm
The Young Victoria, based on Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. I thought it was a great movie, if you like that sort of thing.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics