Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Different questions

willow

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 10:16 am
I feel l a new mom (with a five yr old:Smile Wink
1- How often do you weigh your newborn?
2- How long is it normal for them to eat (nursing)
3- How often does a month old nap in the day?
4- If co-sleeping and I fall asleep before switching sides (and he does too) is that bad?
Do I need to worry he did not get enough?
5- How long should they sleep at night?
6- How long should they go go between meals in the day?

Thank you!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 10:27 am
1. I do at 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, 4 months...unless there is a problem and I'd be concerned to weigh more frequently.

2. Ranges -- I'd say 7-30 minutes is all normal. Beyond 30 minutes: make sure they're sucking the whole time and getting milk. Quick nursing sessions are not problematic if there are no other issues.

3. No recollection.

4. Absolutely not. A lot of people are nursing on one side and only nursing on the second if the baby is still hungry to ensure he's getting maximum hindmilk. I would not worry whatsoever if he's content after one side.

5. Beats me.

6. 1.5-3 hours was my experience at 1 month.

willow

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 10:55 am
Thank you HY!!
Could you tell me also if he falls asleep between sides
and does not wake right away what do you do?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 11:05 am
Leave him be, as long as his weight gain is fine, not overly lethargic that he can't nurse well and is therefore falling asleep -- if he seems to have nursed a lot before falling asleep, I wouldn't wake him.

willow

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 8:54 am
What about him falling asleep during day feedings? The minute I put him down he wakes up and wants to eat again. If I continue to hold him he will sleep like twenty minutes. How do I know if he has had enough? If he wants to eat again how to I make the feeding sessions less broken up so I can figure out how much time in between meals? I do not want to be sitting all day feeding him.

Zus

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 11:20 am
willow wrote:
What about him falling asleep during day feedings? The minute I put him down he wakes up and wants to eat again. If I continue to hold him he will sleep like twenty minutes. How do I know if he has had enough? If he wants to eat again how to I make the feeding sessions less broken up so I can figure out how much time in between meals? I do not want to be sitting all day feeding him.

Use breast compression if he falls asleep at the breast. Just take your breast, without taking the nipple out of his mouth, and squeeze it. Don't 'pump', just squeeze and don't let go. He's supposed to start gulping (again) when you do that. When he falls asleep again, just lt go of your breast and then squeeze it again. Continue like this until the trick doesn't work anymore.
Now switch sides. Do whatever you have to do to wake the baby up. Changing a diaper is usually a good trick.
So you start on the other side. When he falls asleep, use breast compression.

willow

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 11:26 am
I do the breast compressions the diaper removal is a good tip.

willow

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 10:47 am
Zus thank you again the diaper changing between sides is the best for me.

Zus

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 2:56 pm
You're welcome Smile

imaima

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 5:12 am
willow wrote:
I feel l a new mom (with a five yr old:Smile Wink
1- How often do you weigh your newborn?
2- How long is it normal for them to eat (nursing)
3- How often does a month old nap in the day?
4- If co-sleeping and I fall asleep before switching sides (and he does too) is that bad?
Do I need to worry he did not get enough?
5- How long should they sleep at night?
6- How long should they go go between meals in the day?

Thank you!!

1. Whenever a ped or a midwife are weighing them.

2. anything till 30 min per side

3. a lot. goes back to sleep within max 2 hrs of wakefulness. sometimes in less then 1 hr.

4. usually not, but you might wake up with the engorged 2nd breast which was not used up in the night. No you need to worry about clogged ducts.

5. through the night if you are cosleeping. Otherwise - no idea, I always coslept with my newborns.

6. No rule, just watch the child. Enough to get the substantial sleep though.

imaima

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 5:15 am
willow wrote:

he probably haven't slept long enough before the feeding? get him to sleep for longer stretches of time? (not that I think it is so easy..)

willow

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 8:08 am
imaima, a lot of what you answered really is true I see. It just is taking my time to figure him and schedule out.

imaima

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 8:42 am
willow wrote:
imaima, a lot of what you answered really is true I see. It just is taking my time to figure him and schedule out.

Baruch Hashem! It is sometimes so hard with newborns..

grin

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 8:52 am
imaima wrote:
willow wrote:

Baruch Hashem! It is sometimes so hard with newborns..
yeah, and one you think you have him/her figured out, they move on the next stage and you have to start over again!

actually, all of motherhood is like that - it's just that the newborn phases are so short, compared to what comes later - lots of nachas form both of them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics