Home

Two tone challas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

rivkeah

Post Posted: Wed, Jan 19 2011, 11:55 am       Post subject: two tone challas
can anyone help me? how do you get the brown part of the challah brown? I heard with cocoa?
but when do u add it to the receipe? do you divide the receipe before starting or once it is done you add the cocoa and mix it?

aidelmaidel

Post Posted: Wed, Jan 19 2011, 11:57 am       Post subject: Re: two tone challas
rivkeah wrote:
can anyone help me? how do you get the brown part of the challah brown? I heard with cocoa?
but when do u add it to the receipe? do you divide the receipe before starting or once it is done you add the cocoa and mix it?

We buy these at the local store - my understanding is that one is pumpernickel and the other sourdough or rye. I would not use cocoa.

YESHASettler

Post Posted: Wed, Jan 19 2011, 12:11 pm       Post subject:
I use whole wheat flour and white flour.

shevi82

Post Posted: Wed, Jan 19 2011, 2:18 pm       Post subject:
YESHASettler wrote:
I use whole wheat flour and white flour.

I never saw a challah like that before, it's a cute idea. I would also use whole wheat and white flour.

cm

Post Posted: Wed, Jan 19 2011, 2:28 pm       Post subject: re: two tone challas
I've seen them but never made one. A small amount of cocoa is not a bad idea - that's how you turn rye bread into pumpernickel! I would make two batches and add some cocoa with the other dry ingredients. Look for a pumpernickel recipe to get the proportions right.

I rarely use white flour; for those of you who make a white/whole wheat version - the texture of the two parts isn't too different? I might try white whole wheat/regular whole wheat, but the effect wouldn't be as dramatic.

reed

Post Posted: Wed, Jan 19 2011, 3:05 pm       Post subject: re: two tone challas
There are recipes online with cocoa, molasses, and/or coffee or espresso. I also know people who've made it with coloring that they bought from the local bakery (I.e. Korn's if you're in Brooklyn) that makes it. But make sure to wear gloves if you use the coloring - it will really stain your hands!

chocolate moose

Post Posted: Wed, Jan 19 2011, 3:05 pm       Post subject:
I've made it and not liked it.
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Page 1 of 1