Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Secret Ingredient
Previous  1  2  3

mosma

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 4:33 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
est wrote:
mrs. bissli - please can u post ur recipe for yerushalmi kugel. I have some kal kugel I would like to use up...
thanks.

1 pkg THIN egg noodles (I usually use manischewitz)
3 large or 4 medium eggs, lightly beaten
4 tbsp Kal Kugel (I sometimes use a bit more)
1/3 cup vegetable oil (from which 2tbsp is used for coating noodles, 1tbsp for greasing the pan)
1/4 cup sugar (my family doesn't like it sweet. You can use as much as 1/2 cup)
a pinch of salt
generous grinding of black pepper

Cook noodles according to instruction, making sure you don't overcook. Drain well once cooked and coat with 2 tbsps oil. Preheat oven to 170C and grease a square foil baking pan (I think it's 9x9--the standard square one they have in the store). Mix the rest of ingredients (eggs, Kal Kugel, rest of oil, sugar, salt, pepper) and mix into noodles (make sure it's not boiling hot). Tip into the baking pan and cook for 45min to 1hr till a toothpick in center comes out clean.

I saw kal kugel on the shelf today (never noticed it before). Is it worth buying rather than just making it from scratch? does it taste good? I've been meaning to make my own yerushalmi kugel (we like it spicy, not sweet).

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 4:34 pm
What is Kal Kugel?

Aribenj

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 4:41 pm
tumeric!!! yum!
otherwise chili powder...

mosma

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 5:36 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
What is Kal Kugel?

It seems to be the liquid that you make when you caramelize the sugar and oil together to make yerushalmi kugel, which can be tricky and if you're not on top of it can harden really quickly. I guess it's a quicker and neater (no washing the pot) way to make yerushalmi kugel.
I could be wrong though but that's what I think it is.

Depressed

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 6:04 pm
jack daniels scotch on salmon steak chicken ribs

Depressed

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 6:05 pm
jack daniels scotch on salmon steak chicken ribs

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 8:52 pm
mosma wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
What is Kal Kugel?

It seems to be the liquid that you make when you caramelize the sugar and oil together to make yerushalmi kugel, which can be tricky and if you're not on top of it can harden really quickly. I guess it's a quicker and neater (no washing the pot) way to make yerushalmi kugel.
I could be wrong though but that's what I think it is.

Thanks. And if you are wrong, I'm sure someone's "there's someone on the internet who's WRONG" radar will start clanging soon enough ;-)

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 9:45 pm
I bought kal kugel, but to me the taste is bitter, I don't know how it could make something taste good! Confused

although I didn't make kugel with it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 9:49 pm
Anchovies wherever possible.

mosma

Post Thu, Mar 03 2011, 11:03 pm
chanamiriam wrote:
Anchovies wherever possible.

really? that's fascinating to me. one of the few (kosher) foods I've never tasted. aren't anchovies like little fish? doesn't it make whatever you put it on taste fishy?

thekosherchannel

Post Fri, Mar 04 2011, 8:10 am
Tamari sauce instead of soy sauce, much better flavor.

est

Post Fri, Mar 04 2011, 9:06 am
thank you very much mrs bissli. I look forward to trying it. 2 questions though:
1) are the thin noodles the same as standard "lockshen"
2) if I try to use the kal kugel in my regular recipe would you know how much is equal to caramelising 1cup sugar in 1/2 a cup oil
tia!

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Mar 05 2011, 6:41 pm
Egg noodles--it's much thinner than the lokshen you use for lokshen kugel (the sweet stuff with raisins, I think it's called medium width). For texture, you do need fine egg noodles.

Amount--I go by how much noodles you use. It's baiscally to give nice brown colour. So for 1pkg of noodles 4tbsp is enough.

PinkFridge, mosma is right.

TzenaRena, yes kal kugel does taste bitter if you taste on its own. It's burned sugar syrup after all. BUT you're using very small amount relative to the whole kugel pan, and you're adding a bit of sugar on top of it. The final product doesn't have any bitter aftertaste at all.

Tiale

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 5:59 am
bigsis- could you share your italian meatballs recipe? Sounds yummmmmy!

baba

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 6:26 am
This salt for anything non dessert that calls for salt.

It's all natural herbs with salt.

Soy cream for any cream of soup.

Fresh basil for anything italian. Very often accompanied by fresh spinach.

For the person looking to use her balsamic vinegar, how about tomato, mozzarella with balsamic vinegar and olive oil (lets not forget fresh basil). Make it as a salad or sliced on some fresh (homemade rosemary) bread.

MrsMortgage

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 7:04 am
fresh ginger and garlic in everything I make! if its not both its one or the other.

mbk

Post Mon, Mar 07 2011, 2:42 pm
I throw my leftover tomato dip from shabbos into my meatball mixture and it really adds great flavor.
A shake of curry into my chicken soup makes it incredible . I also cook my soup with sweet potato and turkey necks among other veggies and its very tasty. I also swear by seasoning salt. Use it on EVERYTHING! Great thread, btw. I also discovered miracle whip thats basically calorie free and make my kugels and tuna with that. (nobody knows the diff.)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics