Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Tell me a secret about your industry..
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 6:43 am
amother Coral wrote:
I'm an art teacher.
People think being artistic is a talent you need to be born with. It's not true.
Almost anyone can learn to draw. It's not about talent, but about motivation. And having good instruction.
I have seen people with 0 talent (in my opinion) do incredible artwork after learning the right techniques.

I'm a music teacher, I teach piano, voice, and a number of instruments. Same for music!

If you work hard, and have learned the right techniques, you can do amazing stuff. Over 95% of the population can be taught to sing in tune, if they're willing to learn.

And if you try to learn from online video instruction, you can progress, but you might end up spending a lot more time, because a knowledgeable teacher can see and fix basic technique mistakes before they become habit that's hard to unlearn.

wigboutique

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 7:04 am
DrMom wrote:
So how do you know that big companies lie about the source of their hair?

(I don't wear a sheitel so I have no horse in this game. Just trying to understand your post.)

I have spoken to a few other companies
There is no legislature regarding the labeling of origin of hair in America or Israel AFAIK.
The ohel Sara link I up posted speaks about renaming the origin of hair within Jewish companies
Generally the cheaper it is, the more likely it is Chinese or Indian origin
It’s always a good idea for one to try to inquire about the origin and request proof it is really from there. A lot of people in the wig industry lie.
I personally know 2 sheitel machers who say they “air dry” a wig when they use tools (hair dryer, curling wand)

amother
Catmint

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 8:22 am
I'm in HR and I hate firing people. I literally have anxiety about it even though on the outside I seem very confident and professional.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 8:25 am
amother Papaya wrote:
I'm in hi-tech and we all work really hard at our jobs.

What size company? Startup?

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 8:32 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
I assume nursing homes.

But what's an MCA?

Eta. Merchant cash advance?

Yes

GLUE

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 8:34 am
wigboutique wrote:
I don’t know. I’m not a big company, I have a small boutique. I source my hair directly from Russia and Ukraine. I go there and also am able to cut hair from the girls on the spot. I also purchased hair from a Latin American yid who was able to confirm and source it directly from Latin America. He is frum so I trust him.

I read somewhere many years ago that Russian hair comes from the prisons, that the Russian government is very big in the hair industry.
Is that true?

amother
Amaryllis

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 11:57 am
amother Mayflower wrote:
I'm a makeup artist.
90% of people don't come in with their eyebrows waxed. No need to be apologetic about it!
Also, I truly don't notice you breathing on my hand while I work on your face, so don't feel self conscious.
If you are running late to your appointment, it's okay - life happens. But I will be annoyed with you if you say you are 5 minutes away and then show up 15 minutes later. I could have taken a lunch break in that time or prepared dinner, instead of standing there expecting the doorbell to ring any second.

I always worry about it and try to hold my breath as much as possible because I feel bad. Yeah I’m weird like that. Thanks for this!

amother
Lightgray

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 3:08 pm
I’m a nurse. A kind word or compliment goes a long way! It’s a gruelling job and everyone is short staffed these days. It is not personal if I take a long time to respond to your requests and I really care about you! It is very difficult to provide good care when the workload is greater than what a human being can feasibly do. The nurses love when ppl bring donuts, chocolates etc, it is touching when ppl acknowledge what we do. Even I’m touched and most of the time it’s not kosher. Do not stand at the nurses station while we chart to ask for things that is what the call bell is for! Always advocate for yourself, hospitals are hectic places and while we try we can’t anticipate all your needs. We cannot go against Hospital protocol even when it seems like a silly rule we don’t make up the rules! Don’t yell at us it’s so demoralising. Being cursed at is even worse and happens often though bh I have never had a frum patient yell or curse at me. Change of shift is the worst time to talk to us or ask for things, if it is not urgent please wait until I received report from the outgoing shift.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 3:13 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
I’m a nurse. A kind word or compliment goes a long way! It’s a gruelling job and everyone is short staffed these days. It is not personal if I take a long time to respond to your requests and I really care about you! It is very difficult to provide good care when the workload is greater than what a human being can feasibly do. The nurses love when ppl bring donuts, chocolates etc, it is touching when ppl acknowledge what we do. Even I’m touched and most of the time it’s not kosher. Do not stand at the nurses station while we chart to ask for things that is what the call bell is for! Always advocate for yourself, hospitals are hectic places and while we try we can’t anticipate all your needs. We cannot go against Hospital protocol even when it seems like a silly rule we don’t make up the rules! Don’t yell at us it’s so demoralising. Being cursed at is even worse and happens often though bh I have never had a frum patient yell or curse at me. Change of shift is the worst time to talk to us or ask for things, if it is not urgent please wait until I received report from the outgoing shift.

Do nurses resent when patients have a 24/7 private nurse with them? Or does it make your life easier?

amother
Lightgray

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 3:18 pm
I love when patients have a helper at the bedside whether it’s a family member, aide etc. makes my job way easier. It’s only annoying if the helper fights with Hospital staff, complains to us excessively, refuses to follow our rules, etc but most of the time it’s a big help and the patient is taken care of much better.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 4:11 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
I am a babysitter and as a general rule, not always

The harder the parent the more easy going the kid
The harder the kid the more easy going the parent
interesting. My mom has a playgroup and she claims the opposite. Kids are just like their parents.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 4:16 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:

I agree with everything you just said! The words that stay with me are the nice ones and the bad ones. I remember all of them.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 4:54 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
interesting. My mom has a playgroup and she claims the opposite. Kids are just like their parents.

As a teacher. We get the least appreciation for the hard work we invest into the most difficult students because most often the parents are the same. Hashem knows, Hashem sees
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics