Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Tell me a secret about your industry..
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 10:31 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
I'm in marketing as well.

I recently got into nonprofits and I learned that matching donations is a huge lie and scam. Usually a rich donor or a few have already committed to x amount of money, and the non profit claims that money is matching YOUR donations, when ultimately it's being donated regardless of how many people donate. In a small small minority of cases there is a rich donor with endless money doing actual matching, but 99% of the time it's kinda a big lie.

I'm not surprised but it still kind of shook me. Everything online really isnt trusted.

We make up stories as well. I don't trust anything anymore. I didn't think frum organizations did this stuff but apparently they do.

I mean fake stories isn't wrong per say, because it's hard to get real stories sometimes, but it makes me so cynical to anything I read or hear if it's true or not.

Im not sure what your problem is here. I think almost everyone knows this to be the case (or hopes it to be!).

Sometimes its the orgs idea to use the big donation to motivate many smaller, and sometimes the big donor wants to see a larger donor base.

On that note, my fil bought a sefer Torah. As soon as his rav heard be was looking for one the rav and treasurer asked if the shul could use it for a fundraiser. Apparently sefer torah is a big fundraiser event. Fil agreed and the shul sold the zchus of writing letters and some other things. Shul raised close to 100k net after their expenses (they paid for most the parade and to expand the seuda to more ppl, plus maketing and fundraising costs). This is small oot so hachnosos sefer Toras are rare.
Fil paid for the entire torah and it belongs to him. It was pretty clear thats the case and I personally think its obvious thats how this works, but im not sure how many ppl really realize that and just think he gave a big donation to this fundraiser. Sefer torah is kept in that shul.

Point is orgs take any opening they csn and use to encourage donations. Even here, my fil bought the torah, but we dinated 1k to shul for my husband ane sons to write some letters and then have our name included in list of doners. Shul would NOT have gotten this donation from us if my fil had just done his own thing. Here we felt compelled, almosy like a dinner. Brilliant.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 10:32 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
I’m an attorney. The reason we “charge so much” is because you are paying for a specialized service. Go for the cheaper lawyer and we end up fixing their mistakes. Just not worth it.

Additionally - for litigation in court and beis din - the really expensive cases is usually bc one side just won’t settle. So do we do 100+ hours of work it’s going to cost 50k bc you couldn’t give in.

Yes, we bill for our time and that also includes time spent responding to emails, texts and telephone calls.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 10:34 pm
amother Lime wrote:
I work in the public school system and work half as hard as the teachers in a frum school for double or triple the pay.

Contrary to what you read in the news, the teachers union does not have the teachers' or students' good in mind. They are the most corrupt organization and we teachers actually hate them.

Can you explain?
1) How do you work half as hard?
2) what does the union do that's so corrupt, and why do you hate them?

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 10:48 pm
I also teach public school, but not in NYC. Our union isn't corrupt --they def look out for us, raising our concerns with admin and fighting for fair conditions. And I work incredibly hard. Do you teach gym? Because they're the only ones who seem to have it easy in my school...

My secret would be that unfortunately, the parents who give us (and especially admins) the most trouble do generally get what they want. But they often do their kids a disservice--the kids they're raising end up helpless or incredibly selfish.

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:28 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
In the NH industry. If u write bad reviews from multiple accounts we will contact Google to remove them.

What’s the NH industry?

sweetie2shoes

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:29 pm
amother Lime wrote:
I work in the public school system and work half as hard as the teachers in a frum school for double or triple the pay.

Contrary to what you read in the news, the teachers union does not have the teachers' or students' good in mind. They are the most corrupt organization and we teachers actually hate them.

This is interesting. I thought the teachers union is all for the teachers. If not, then what is their interest?

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:38 pm
I’m in MCA. Everything you’ll hear from the reps mouth is a bold faced lie. Unless it’s in writing (in the actual contract, not a separate page added at the end) or you hear directly from the funder, it’s not true. No, you will not get that early payoff discount, and taking x amount now does not mean your guaranteed to triple the amount next time.

Also, the fees are totally not a requirement. You probably will pay a total of 15% in fees, but truthfully you could get away with only 1 or 2%, or even zero.

Also, the only fees you are actually responsible for are from the funding company. They pay the rep and everybody involved, not you. If you are paying a separate fee that comes from a different business name or is a separate withdrawal, that was definitely not supposed to happen and someone just made some extra money off you.

MommyPhD

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:46 pm
Academia is a toxic dumpster fire and everyone is miserable and workplaces are dysfunctional but no one leaves because the work is relatively easy and extremely flexible.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:54 pm
Your photographer spends about 10-15 hours on your session behind the scenes. That’s what the charge is for.

Also, she doesn’t like it when you try to “help” by telling the kids how to pose. By she I mean me. I don’t know if other photographers also have a problem with this. She also doesn’t like it when mom is tense, or threatens the kids (I.e. if you don’t behave you won’t get xyz treat).

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:58 pm
I do insurance.
So many brokers mislead people to buy more expensive policies that they don’t need or aren’t in clients best interest.
There are some honest brokers out there. But they are not common.
I remember at some point a broker I worked for told me it’s only worth the sale if you sell a certain product and how convince client they need it.
I quickly realized that it wasn’t in most of our clients best interest but I needed to sell it because that was my job. It was crazy how many people just trusted us and bought what they didn’t need.
I can count on one hand brokers that are 100% honest.
And they happen to be extremely successful, honesty is the best policy Smile.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 12:02 am
amother Aconite wrote:
Waiting lists are usually a scam too.
For school camps and other services. Even if you are number 1 on the waiting list someone else may be given preference over you !

I'm a school administrator and it is absolutely true about waiting lists. I beg of you all, don't shoot the messenger.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 12:08 am
People in my field intentionally charge more because they can. Its a very niche field and people will use the person who charges the most as they "must be the best". I can definitely charge more with my level experience and niche but don't feel comfortable doing so.

tryinghard

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 12:21 am
I’m in real estate. Agents like to talk about how using an agent nets you X% more every time, and that theyre have been studies proving it.

What they won’t tell you is that the studies didn’t compare apples to apples. Many of the homes For Sale By Owner (FSBO) were mobile homes and the like. These have a much lower sale price to begin with, which is why most aren’t listed - they would yield an incredibly low commission. But what that means is that it’s not that the average house that gets listed sells for more because the agent listed it and got a higher price than the seller would on his own, but rather that the VALUE of the average FSBO is lower than other houses.

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 12:22 am
I work in an industry where almost 100% of our clients receive (illegal) kickbacks for bringing business to us. Sometimes as much as 50%. You, the consumer, has no idea that the person sending you our way is pocketing much of your money (on top of the fee they are charging you directly)

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 12:24 am
amother Brass wrote:
I work in HR.
When I tell you “I need to run it by the board” or the board didn’t approve it” it means the decision of one single quacko depending on his moods. No board.

You salary depends on your level of self worth and bitachon. 1000000% percent. Your raise or no raise request depends on that too. Fact.

I'm a manager and don't find this to be true at all. We spend a lot of time (together with HR) deciding who will receive a raise and who won't. We have an 'algorithm' that we use based on time since last raise, performance, and future potential for the company.

What does sometimes unfairly make an impact is that people who know how to make a good impression and are pleasant to work with are more likely to get a raise than people who are complainers and act unpleasantly, even if their standard of work is just as high.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 12:28 am
hodeez wrote:
I'm in tech and no one here does anything aside from a select few upon whose backs the company is held.

I'm in hi-tech and we all work really hard at our jobs.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 12:51 am
amother Feverfew wrote:
What’s the NH industry?

I assume nursing homes.

But what's an MCA?

Eta. Merchant cash advance?

amother
Chambray

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 1:02 am
amother Ruby wrote:
People in my field intentionally charge more because they can. Its a very niche field and people will use the person who charges the most as they "must be the best". I can definitely charge more with my level experience and niche but don't feel comfortable doing so.

Therapy?

amother
Mayflower

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 1:07 am
I'm a makeup artist.
90% of people don't come in with their eyebrows waxed. No need to be apologetic about it!
Also, I truly don't notice you breathing on my hand while I work on your face, so don't feel self conscious.
If you are running late to your appointment, it's okay - life happens. But I will be annoyed with you if you say you are 5 minutes away and then show up 15 minutes later. I could have taken a lunch break in that time or prepared dinner, instead of standing there expecting the doorbell to ring any second.

amother
Dahlia

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 1:09 am
amother Apple wrote:
I was once involved in such a campaign and I also saw that most of the money was pledged by big donors way before the campaign began. But I don't see any problem with that. The person in charge worked so hard in the preceeding weeks and months getting all these pledges .If these campaigns went live without that groundwork they would do very badly.

Yes but it's misleading to people getting emails like "24 hours left to match your donation!" who think unless they donate ASAP their donation won't be matched.

Not a fan of it but I know the whole industry uses it.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics