Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Tell me a secret about your industry..
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

fauxreal

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 3:04 pm
… or something people don’t know

I’ll go first.

In the marketing world, things boil down to the last second. Especially with ads. You see a stunning brand/ad/campaign, here’s what happened:

- three concepts are presented to the client
- client doesn’t like them
- the creative team races against the clock to churn out a new concept
- client approves the new ad, moments before magazine print deadline
- team breathes a sigh of relief and sends the ad to print, vowing this will never happen again/will fire this client/will implement protocol to ensure smoother processes.

What’s yours?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 3:17 pm
Lol. Im in the marketing world too and everything you wrote rings true.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 3:22 pm
I'm in the stationery & crafts industry, here's a few secrets:
- It's worth paying for better quality - especially for essentials like pencils, sharpeners, erasers, and
glue sticks.
- most no-name brands are not the same quality as name brands
- it's not worth paying for "cool" brands.
- your feedback is really important even if it comes from your 6 year old- if we get more than 1 or 2 complaints about a product we'll stop stocking it until the manufacturer improves or reformulates the product.

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 3:25 pm
Business class travel/itineraries

You get a set price but you have no clue how much profit the agent is actually making on you

amother
Green

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 4:52 pm
There are some really good therapists who are bad at marketing themselves (and don't overcharge) so not many people know about them.
The reverse is true as well.

fauxreal

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 5:00 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
Lol. Im in the marketing world too and everything you wrote rings true.

It’s the same everywhere:)
Let’s hear another one

fauxreal

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 5:01 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
I'm in the stationery & crafts industry, here's a few secrets:
- It's worth paying for better quality - especially for essentials like pencils, sharpeners, erasers, and
glue sticks.
- most no-name brands are not the same quality as name brands
- it's not worth paying for "cool" brands.
- your feedback is really important even if it comes from your 6 year old- if we get more than 1 or 2 complaints about a product we'll stop stocking it until the manufacturer improves or reformulates the product.

Good to know.
Honestly, Crayola over anything else.

fauxreal

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 5:01 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
Business class travel/itineraries

You get a set price but you have no clue how much profit the agent is actually making on you

Is that a bad thing? I don’t mind you making profit.

fauxreal

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 5:02 pm
amother Green wrote:
There are some really good therapists who are bad at marketing themselves (and don't overcharge) so not many people know about them.
The reverse is true as well.

To the detriment of literally everyone.

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 5:08 pm
I’m in the special ed/ ABA field. We really love the kids we work with, deeply care about progress, and are not just coming in daily for the money!

amother
Arcticblue

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 5:28 pm
I do accounts payable. You legitimately do need to be annoying in order to get paid. But not so annoying that I want you cut off service just so I don't have to keep dealing with you. It's a fine line.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 5:41 pm
I'm in marketing as well.

I recently got into nonprofits and I learned that matching donations is a huge lie and scam. Usually a rich donor or a few have already committed to x amount of money, and the non profit claims that money is matching YOUR donations, when ultimately it's being donated regardless of how many people donate. In a small small minority of cases there is a rich donor with endless money doing actual matching, but 99% of the time it's kinda a big lie.

I'm not surprised but it still kind of shook me. Everything online really isnt trusted.

We make up stories as well. I don't trust anything anymore. I didn't think frum organizations did this stuff but apparently they do.

I mean fake stories isn't wrong per say, because it's hard to get real stories sometimes, but it makes me so cynical to anything I read or hear if it's true or not.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 5:42 pm
I'm an office manager and you really have to bring a can do attitude to work everyday and greet everyone with a nice word even on your worst day.

also conference meetings, on phone or in person are a huge waste of time for everyone. The same thing can be accomplished in an email or text in 2 minutes instead of a wasted half hour or hour I have found this to be true in every company I have worked for.

It's a good excuse for for management to buy you lunch though . .. .

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 5:55 pm
fauxreal wrote:
Is that a bad thing? I don’t mind you making profit.

You said secrets not bad things😊

giftedmom

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 5:57 pm
Another thing about marketing is that website reviews are all made up

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 6:06 pm
Waiting lists are usually a scam too.
For school camps and other services. Even if you are number 1 on the waiting list someone else may be given preference over you !

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 6:09 pm
giftedmom wrote:

Amazon reviews are not made up not sure about others though! I’m in the Amazon business..

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 6:16 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Amazon reviews are not made up not sure about others though! I’m in the Amazon business..

There have been scandals about a fake Amazon reviews.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 6:18 pm
amother Daylily wrote:
I’m in the special ed/ ABA field. We really love the kids we work with, deeply care about progress, and are not just coming in daily for the money!

That’s so nice to hear as a mother of a cutie boy in an ABA preschool

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 6:21 pm
giftedmom wrote:

From my experience when something is getting off the ground then yes, afterwards they use real reviews generally. Now it's especially a thing to have a hashtag or Veiw from what others post on social media about your brand. Usually when I want to see a product I'm not even looking at reviews on their own website. I might be to determine if the color or size or shade is right, but when I'm at the phase of "should I but this or not to begin with" I'm seeing indeodant reviews on social media, videos, photos, articles, reddit....
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics