Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Cooked egg mayonnaise

sarahd

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 1:04 pm
Anyone have a recipe for mayonnaise made with not raw eggs? I think one was posted here last year but I can't seem to find it.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 31 2011, 3:33 pm
Google first, ask questions later. I'm pretty sure this is the recipe I used in past years and maybe even posted here. Obviously skip the mustard.

Quote:
Raw eggs are an important ingredient in mayonnaise. If you are concerned about using raw eggs in your mayonnaise, try this method which heats the eggs just enough to kill bacteria. You can also use radiated eggs and skip the heating process.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:

* 2 large egg yolks
* 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 1 teaspoon dry mustard
* 1 scant teaspoon salt
* Pinch of cayenne (optional)
* 1 cup canola, peanut, vegetable, or pure olive oil, not extra virgin

Preparation:
Heat the egg yolks, lemon juice, water, and sugar in a small skillet over very low heat, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan constantly with a spatula. At the first sign of thickening, remove the pan from the heat but continue stirring. Dip the pan bottom in a large pan of cold water to stop cooking. Scrape into a blender, blend for a second or so, then let stand uncovered at least 5 minutes to cool.

Add the dry mustard, salt, and cayenne if using. Cover and, with the blender running, drizzle the oil in very slowly at first, down the center hole into the egg mixture. Transfer mayonnaise to a clean container and chill immediately. This will keep for at least 7 days refrigerated.

Yield: 1-1/2 cups

sarahd

Post Fri, Apr 01 2011, 12:42 am
Yup, that sounds like it. I remember it was a pain in the neck to make it last year. I guess it will be the same pain this year.

Thanks.

EBC

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 6:48 pm
do you think this method of heating the eggs first would work in any mayo recipe?

de_goldy

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 7:12 pm
I've made cooked egg mayo without all the complicated steps. Start with a cooked yolk (ie. yolk of a hard-boiled egg). Mash it with a fork and add oil a small bit at a time just as you would with raw egg mayo. I've never tried it in a food processor but I assume it would work.

EBC

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 7:33 pm
de_goldy-
does it have the same consistency as mayo?
do you add anything else, or just the yolk and the oil?
the recipe I use I believe calls for the whole raw egg, should I jsut use the hard boled yolk instead and try to go from therE?

Isramom8

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 8:37 am
Since I can't buy what I want, and I don't want to use raw eggs, and I want a simple recipe, I'm thinking of trying this (minus a couple of ingredients):

http://www.globalgourmet.com/g.....C8yIM
Safety First! Cooked Mayonnaise
Due to the high incidence of salmonella poisoning contracted from eating raw eggs, the American Egg board came up with this recipe for making mayonnaise using cooked egg yolks.

2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash cayenne
1 cup vegetable oil
In a small saucepan, stir together the egg yolks, lemon juice, water, sugar, mustard, salt and cayenne with a wooden spoon until blended. Place over very low heat and stir constantly until it bubbles in one or two spots. Remove from the heat and let stand 4 minutes. Pour into a blender and blend, slowly adding the oil in a thin, constant stream. Scrape down the sides as needed. When the mixture in thick and smooth, chill until ready to use.

Copyright © 1998 The American Egg Board

Read more: Safety First! Cooked Mayonnaise http://www.globalgourmet.com/g.....IqOmJ

Isramom8

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 12:23 pm
Okay, it came out more like mayonnaise flavored dressing, but nu. I added some to make egg salad and tuna. It's fine. Dayeinu!

de_goldy

Post Sun, Apr 17 2011, 1:21 pm
EBC wrote:
de_goldy-
does it have the same consistency as mayo?
do you add anything else, or just the yolk and the oil?
the recipe I use I believe calls for the whole raw egg, should I jsut use the hard boled yolk instead and try to go from therE?

Sorry, EBC, just seeing this now.
The way I made it was with no other ingredients and just the yolk.
I guess you could put some spices/sugar in if you wanted to flavor it more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics