Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chicken soup in fridge since last tues. Can I use it???
Previous  1  2

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 8:10 pm
I freeze my soup with plenty of vegetables in it. Have never had a problem. Why do you think they would go bad?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 8:50 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
Amother why not freeze it instead? That way there is no waste, and also less risk.

If I freeze the soup, I cant serve the vegetables

If you put in very little veggies anyway, it's not a big deal to make sure those get eaten the first week, and then put in a few fresh ones the nex week. I think it's preferable than the gamble Smile

Your family is hopefully healthy, but what happens if you have a guest with compromised immunity for whatever reason? Either way, I say better safe than sorry.

I am immuno-compromised and it's for this reason I eat only my food, my mom's and by one friend. I had a horrendous experience with food poisoning from someone's house once. It ruined a friendship and I was sick for weeks, not to mention the medical bills.

Fine if you want to eat week old soup (here the OP's is 10 days!) but DO NOT serve it to guests!!

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 9:03 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
I freeze my soup with plenty of vegetables in it. Have never had a problem. Why do you think they would go bad?

They don't go bad. They do get a bit mushier then fresh, at least in my experience.

I make soup in huge batches and freeze broth only. We eat the chicken and veggies right away and I just add new veggies to the defrosted soup. They cook right in there.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 11:22 pm
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
amother wrote:
MaBelleVie wrote:
Amother why not freeze it instead? That way there is no waste, and also less risk.

If I freeze the soup, I cant serve the vegetables

If you put in very little veggies anyway, it's not a big deal to make sure those get eaten the first week, and then put in a few fresh ones the nex week. I think it's preferable than the gamble Smile

Your family is hopefully healthy, but what happens if you have a guest with compromised immunity for whatever reason? Either way, I say better safe than sorry.

How do I add new vegetables to an old soup? Do I have to cook them first?
It takes very quick, and tastes delicious.
Just slice up some veggies, add a clove of garlic cut in half, a drop of salt, and minimal amount of water. Cook up on very low flame until you can just pierce the veggies with a fork. Very little cooking liquid should be left. Then add defrosted chicken soup broth.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen