Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Combi Double vs Maclaren Twin Techno

wtvr

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 10:18 pm
I'm between these two strollers. It is for in and out of the car, mostly, so I need something that folds compactly and doesn't take up the whole trunk.

If you have either one, can you please weigh in on the weight, fold, and the way it wheels.

Thanks!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 10:27 pm
Combi is MUCH lighter, fold is great, ease of use is perfect for the car...the strap is great for swinging it in and out one handed, folds and unfolds very easily. It's not good for long walking outdoors, but it is perfect for in and out of the car. Very, very compact (which is why I got it; at the time I had only a car, not a minivan, and we took long trips for 2 weeks and needed all our stuff in the trunk).
Maclaren is much harder to push (especially with the umbrella handles vs the handlebar) and doesn't have the bumper bar which I like on the Combi. Heavier than the Combi, no option for a caddy for drinks, etc. Baskets are not great on either, but I like the Combi's better. The newer Combis have bigger wheels, not sure about newer Maclarens.
For a car stroller, I'd definitely go with Combi. Cheaper too Smile
If you're tall, you might be happier with the Maclaren handle height, but that's only one part of the "push" ease.

wtvr

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 12:25 am
Thanks!

Do you think it's just a car stroller, or is it sturdy enough for everyday use? It will be my only double, so I want something that could handle walks as well. (Mostly in nice weather, though.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 10:28 am
It's my only double. I have an older version with smaller wheels. I don't love it, and it's harder when the kids are older. But it's mainly a problem on hills and very bumpy areas. I have managed to push it in the hot weather 15 minutes while also wearing a baby (meaning 2 older kids in there -- 2 and 3.5 yo). I sweated, but I probably would have anyway Wink

It's a great starting stroller, and definitely better than the Maclaren IMO. If you want to save to get a jogger, that's a whole different story, but between those 2 strollers, I'd go with the Combi.

One more thing, the Combi handlebar is short. I like that. Tall people might not.

wtvr

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 1:35 pm
It looks like it's the Combi for us.
A jogger is not in the plans. Neither one of us are tall, so that not a problem. I just spoke to someone who has her for 11 years, and still uses to walk to shul every Shabbos. (I don't have that luxury...shul is in my living room!) I would us it Yom Tov, and in the spring for like a 10 minute walk. Otherwise, it's basically for indoors, like mall or such.

It's replacing a 26 year old Maclaren, which I absolutely LOVED, but it broke last Rosh Hashana, when it was used for my older kids to go to shul 3/ 1/2 miles away Sad

zigi

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 1:49 pm
I have a combi. it pushes really well. but you can't bump it up and down stairs. but it folds nicely. and is lightweight, I was able to wear it with the shoulder strap and wear my baby and a diaper bag at the same time.

I did do crosstown walks with it and with a heavy kid in it. 45 pds and a 35 pds. it was ok. it pushed good.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 8:59 pm
26 year old Maclaren?!?!

It depends on the stairs, Zigi -- I did manage to do it on my steps outside my old apartment building when it was raining and I didn't want my kids to get wet. It wasn't easy, but I did it. I had other steps that it didn't work on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics