Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Outgrown personalized children clothing

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 9:27 pm
Five years ago my father got DS a personalized bathrobe with his name on it. He has of course grown since then and it no longer fits.

What do other people do with personalized clothing items that are too small? My father has gotten him a new personalized bathrobe since then and this one has no sentimental value.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 11:04 pm
If it's just a first name, donate to a gemach (if it is still in OK condition), there will be surely other boyz with the same name

Tova

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 11:06 pm
Unless it has all three of his (beautiful) names Wink

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 11:10 pm
Tova wrote:
Unless it has all three of his (beautiful) names Wink

If that's the case, cut it up for shmattes, keep the names and sew it onto a pillow Smile

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 8:31 am
it has his name in hebrew- closest gemach is 2 hours away.

anyone here want a blue 'mouse' bathrobe with the name "Netanel' written in hebrew script???

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 9:16 am
Either hang on to it and give it to ds when he has a young ds who would be excited to wear his Daddy's old robe, or give it away to someone in your neighborhood who has a son who would fit into it. Don't folks where you live exchange kids' hand-me-downs? if someone objects to the embroidery, a seam ripper plus a truckload of patience, or a nice applique, will take care of that.

bnm

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 9:34 am
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:

anyone here want a blue 'mouse' bathrobe with the name "Netanel' written in hebrew script???

isn't that the name of Yesha Settler's son?

shalhevet

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 9:50 am
bnm wrote:
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:

Just what I was thinking - why don't you mail it to her? Smile

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 9:58 am
zaq wrote:
Either hang on to it and give it to ds when he has a young ds who would be excited to wear his Daddy's old robe, or give it away to someone in your neighborhood who has a son who would fit into it. Don't folks where you live exchange kids' hand-me-downs? if someone objects to the embroidery, a seam ripper plus a truckload of patience, or a nice applique, will take care of that.

sure they do, and thats an option, but there is only one other child locally with the same name, and he is 6. I could give it to someone else who wouldnt care about the name, but most families with boys about that age happen to have older brothers right now and therefore have enough clothes

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 9:59 am
shalhevet wrote:
bnm wrote:
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:

Just what I was thinking - why don't you mail it to her? Smile

sure...postage to Israel on a bathrobe (which ironically came from Israel in the first place) should only run about the original cost of the bathrobe.....
...unless someone is going soon

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 10:12 am
What do you do with your ds other outgrown clothing? Do you think because the name is in Hebrew you can't throw it out? It's not Sheimos. For respect you could cut out the name, wrap it in a plastic bag and discard it in that. Do you think your fil would be offended? He already replaced this item and need never know what you did with it. Are you uncomfortable with an item with your ds name ending up on the back of some homeless kid? Go to a store that carries sewing notions, get yourself a tool called a seam ripper, and get to work cutting away the embroidery. Just slide the point of the tool under the threads and push it forward a bit to cut the threads, then pull them out. It'll take some time but you'd need to remove only enough thread so the name isn't legible, not every last speck. Then give it to Goodwill with a light heart.

Why assume no one local will want it? Did you ask?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 10:17 am
Would it be good for a costume, maybe?

cm

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 10:18 am
Many organizations collect old clothes which they sell as rags as a fundraiser. Anything that is not wearable for whatever reason can go into a collection bin for a good cause. There might be one in your supermarket parking lot.

Some organizations such as Goodwill sell old clothes in their second-hand shops, but something with a Hebrew name might not be useful to them if it won't sell easily.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 10:22 am
zaq wrote:
What do you do with your ds other outgrown clothing? Do you think because the name is in Hebrew you can't throw it out? It's not Sheimos. For respect you could cut out the name, wrap it in a plastic bag and discard it in that. Do you think your fil would be offended? He already replaced this item and need never know what you did with it. Are you uncomfortable with an item with your ds name ending up on the back of some homeless kid? Go to a store that carries sewing notions, get yourself a tool called a seam ripper, and get to work cutting away the embroidery. Just slide the point of the tool under the threads and push it forward a bit to cut the threads, then pull them out. It'll take some time but you'd need to remove only enough thread so the name isn't legible, not every last speck. Then give it to Goodwill with a light heart.

Why assume no one local will want it? Did you ask?

I save his other clothes in case IYH I have another boy. I have no problem throwing out because of the name, but it is wasteful to throw out a perfectly good robe. My dad would not be offended at all, so Im not worried about that.
I am more than happy to put in a clothing bin, im just wondering if it would seem odd to a person who got it to see what would amount to scribbles for them.

in short Im not nearly so worried about this as you seem to think I am. I was simply discussing it with DH last night wondering what to do with it, and I figured Id solicit other peoples opinions. If I cant find a specific person who wants it, it can easily go in to goodwill

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 10:29 am
Goodwills sell personalized stuff all the time. People who shop in Goodwill aren't quite as fussy as those who shop at Bergdorf's kwim?

And when you consider the bizarre stuff that is sold in stores, it's unlikely that anyone would have a problem with odd scribbles on a robe. You never saw a caucasian-type wearing a T-shirt with Chinese characters? For all they know it might say "Village Idiot" or worse in Chinese, but ppl wear it anyway.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 10:37 am
zaq wrote:
Goodwills sell personalized stuff all the time. People who shop in Goodwill aren't quite as fussy as those who shop at Bergdorf's kwim?

And when you consider the bizarre stuff that is sold in stores, it's unlikely that anyone would have a problem with odd scribbles on a robe. You never saw a caucasian-type wearing a T-shirt with Chinese characters? For all they know it might say "Village Idiot" or worse in Chinese, but ppl wear it anyway.

good points and LOL

CherryBerry

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 12:19 pm
and if you had another son, who could wear the bathrobe, does it really matter that it has oldest son's name on it? its a robe, not an outside play outfit.
I would let a younger son wear it. in fact when I cant find a kippah for younger son I would take one of the older boys kippahs, even if it has big brothers name on it.
I've seen other kids wearing big bro's kippahs, or personalized baby blankets.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 12:52 pm
can you give it to a goodwill type store in a jewish area? netanel is quite a popular name.

Monsey Mama

Post Sat, Sep 10 2011, 8:43 pm
Someone buying in Goodwill might not even realize it is a Hebrew name. They might think it is a logo.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics