Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What would you like to read about in Frum magazines?
Previous  1  2  3

Alef Bais

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 12:23 pm
sequoia wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
Alef Bais wrote:
smile85, I'm ALWAYS interested to read about the shidduch crisis.

Define shidduch crisis. And its causes. Someone, I believe it was Rabbi Yoffee, had the temerity to actually suggest in the Yated Roundtable that something other than the age gap (namely, ridiculous questions and expectations) might be at the root of the shidduch crisis. But I digress.

Remember -- it's only a crisis if everyone agrees on it.

The minute people would stop calling unmarried 19-year-old girls a "crisis," the crisis will disappear.

NO ONE will agree that the crisis is about the 19-year-olds. The crisis is about ALL the multitudes of singles in their 20s and 30s AND beyond who watch all their friends and younger relatives disappear into their married lives leaving them stranded. The crisis is about the singles who CANNOT find their zivug. There are so many and the pain is so real and it feels so hopeless for those going through it and their families. There are so many silly reasons people will not agree to date someone and there are so many in the shidduch world who are in serious need of a REALITY CHECK. There is so much to talk about and so much to take in. Singles need inspiration, they need hope and they need everyone's help.

Ten years ago, I wrote a weekly shidduch column for some time and it was quite popular. I am no longer a single in that world, and I thank Hashem for that every day, but there still definitely is a crisis. Still, I find shidduch articles inspiring, especially when the story ends on a positive, hopeful note. I think it is always good for this positive inspiration to be out there.

Last edited by Alef Bais on Mon, Sep 05 2011, 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 12:45 pm
Before next summer, an article on cheap vacation ideas, including lists of minyanim with times in places like NH and VT, mikvaos in out of the way places, kosher food in places you wouldn't expect, and possible cheap lodging ideas, though that would probably raise the rates of what ever places they suggested. LOL

It would be great if there was parallel article, or series of articles including Israeli places to see and things not to miss, both makomei kedusha and more touristy things like the Bamba factory, with information on prices, ages they are targeted for, contact information and when they are open.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 12:56 pm
I don't like columns that are obviously geared to a specific hashkafa. I like articles that are more well rounded I.e. about interesting people, discoveries, countries etc.

SacN

Post Mon, Sep 05 2011, 8:43 pm
More articles about parnassa in general!
Interesting ways to earn it, perspectives on growing while working (which is tough for men and women!), perspectives on working people managing time, home, learning etc.
After all, it's easy to squeeze in time for learning when youre in yeshiva and seminay, and to some extent, college. What about people working hard, and coming home to dishes?
What about people who are not therapists, teachers or nurses? Or if they are, who do something interesting, like help stroke survivors learn how to talk again...?
There are such COOL jobs out there. I'd love to read more about what other people do day to day that is interesting.

Alef Bais

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 10:44 am
I'd love to read about how people manage finances.
How people buy a house with supposedly no money.
How people can save.

CatLady

Post Tue, Sep 06 2011, 11:45 am
I'm always interested in reading about people who have jobs or started small businesses in creative areas, whether it's something crafty or techie. I also love reading about different cultures, areas, etc. An article about the travails of finding food for Pesach in South Dakota would have me very interested! (For a city dweller, SD is exotic. Crazy, huh?) And I always enjoy reading about medical research when it's phrased in a way that a non-scientist can easily comprehend. (Extra bonus points for not sounding like Dr. Oz 2.0 - one of him is plenty!)

motherhen

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 3:27 pm
I also love reading money articles. and yes the husband-going-to-work- OMG -waddamigonnado crisis has gotta stop b4 it becomes real. and is it just me or are kidney transplants beoming a lil too overwritten abt?

wereafamily

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 3:41 pm
Being a newlywed I would love to have articles about the life of a newlywed (tips, ideas, inspiration).... and even more so the stage of waiting for your first child...

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 4:12 pm
This is a great thread; thanks for posting.

I second- no napkin rings or truffles or ultra fancy stuff. More fast and simple supper and Shabbos recipes. VERY fast and simple.

- How to cope when Mom is sick.

- How to cope when Mom is suffering from an unavoidable severe lack of sleep.

- Pros and cons of different types of facial hair removal. (we all deal with this!)

- How to deal with kids getting addicted to various types of video/computer games

- Pretty and easy houseplants

- Most comfortable slippers

- Free shiurim (online or on phone) that women find inspiring and why

- Ideas for date night with DH. (how many times can we go out to eat already??)

- Business owners- are they really profitable, or just busy?

- Dealing with old Mishpacha's, Ami's, Binahs, etc.

- Women who have a shul in the house- do they like it? appreciate it?

- Time-saving shortcuts for all around the house

- How to deal with the dining room table during the weekdays

- Independent women vs the types of women who are scared to get gas, travel to a town 45 minutes away on their own, etc.

- Tips to give your house a good smell. (candles, essential oils, etc)

- Oral hygiene in kids, encouraging them, making sure they brush and floss well.

- Expenses and pains-in-the-necks of health insurance companies (it's good to know we're not alone and maybe we can get some good ideas.)

Depressed

Post Wed, Sep 07 2011, 4:53 pm
last poster whats wrong with ladys home journal

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 08 2011, 11:36 am
For the cost of a frum subscription, I don't want to read anything that I can get from a goyische magazine. Those magazines costs pennies.

ILOVELIFE

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 12:15 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
For the cost of a frum subscription, I don't want to read anything that I can get from a goyische magazine. Those magazines costs pennies.

a lot of ppl have stopped secular publications and would like the frum ones to do 'frum stuff' AND replace what they used to get from secular publications. Just a thought.

But this whole thread made me sigh. Nearly every idea suggested here has been covered by Ami, Mishpacha or Binah with the exception of some general suggestions. And then we wonder why all the publications end up covering a lot of the same (think kidney transplants in all 3, 9/11 Agunos in Ami and Mishpacha, and yes divorce, abuse, older singles, parenting etc. )

The napkin ring comments underscore what we all know: some prefer light, fun and creative stuff and some are not crafty or handy and they just want realisitc down to earth good articles with no fluff. Grrr you can't please 'em all but I speak for all editors in all magazines when I say we really try to change it up for that reason and though you are very valuable as a subscriber know that the woman who has the diametrically opposite personality is also Smile

And one last point to the OP-- I don't know who you are but most publications prefer not to have their ideas outed like this so you should tell them before suggesting them only because it's a tough, competitive market.

To the poster who wanted diff job ideas: check out Shoshana Bernstein's Parnassa Profiles column in Binah. It's an overall sketch of a diff career every other week with the facts and figures.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics