Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
My challot flopped! What happened?

mandksima

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 10:57 am
I never had this happen before. I've burnt them, for sure but this time, they rose an incredibly long time (too long) and since I did big round ones to freeze for R"H, only 1 fit into the oven at a time. The other ready ones just sat out and rose even more! They started to brown on top so I covered with foil and baked longer. Still, they were not browned on the bottom and were very doughy even after 40 plus minutes baking.

Then, my beautiful shaped challot fell in the middle like a failed souffle! Agkkkk! Why? All because they rose too long? Even the rolls didn't bake well. I'm so bummed as I wanted this to be quick and done with. I have to make another batch yet because the recipe only made 4 big challot and a few rolls and we're having 2 meals with guests. oy...

Liba

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 11:03 am
I could only cook half my batch at a time so the half I wasn't putting in right away I put in the fridge while I shaped and let the first half rise. Once the dough was good and chilled (a bit after the first half was shaped, but before it was fully risen) I took out the dough and shaped it. It was still chilled so it rose more slowly, which was fine since it needed to wait a bit to go in the oven anyway.

I am hope you are able to find a way to bake your challah successfully!!

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 11:45 am
Overinflated challah will fall when it expands past the breaking point of the dough and the gas escapes--exactly like a balloon that you overfill with air. Next time, keep the dough in the fridge to slow the rising, and if it seems overinflated, punch it down and rework it. Multiple risings help develop a more complex flavor, so long as you don't overdo it--and if you do overdo it to the point that the sugar in the challah turns to vinegar, you'll have sourdough challah.

mandksima

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 1:19 pm
Wow, great suggestion to put it in the fridge! If only I had room in there... but I will try that next time as I really want to make a full batch so I can say the bracha.

Anyway, after baking and re-baking and still being doughy underneath, I thought of a great solution that actually gave me deja vu so maybe I did make this flop before and buried it in my unwanted memories. I turned the challot upside down and baked them that way for 15 min and they are nice and done. I think I saved them but they definitely aren't light and fluffy like they came out last time. Maybe I'll use them for Shabbat even though they are round and make a new batch for chag!

Liba, it is funny that you responded as it is your wonderful recipe! I get such compliments!

Liba

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 1:24 pm
I am so glad you worked it out and happy to hear the recipe generally works well for you! Heart

I made challah today too Smile I made 8 small challos from that recipe, four in the oven at a time.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 5:44 pm
Challahs fall after rising, when they are left to rise for too long. I learned the hard way Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads