Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I have to admit my son is fat. Help!!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 8:14 pm
OK, so my 11 year old son has always been a bit chubby. I've talked to the pediatrician, who mapped out his projected growth based on his height/weight history, and he says the kid will end up being about 6'4" and 220#. I insisted on blood work to check for thyroid problems, and that was all normal. He slimmed down a bit during his first summer at sleep away camp, but this school year he has really packed on the weight. I weighed him tonight and he is 142 pounds. He's probably about 5' even.
So, what do you do with a Chassidishe boy in Boro Park who needs to lose weight? Are there any exercise classes, or summer fat camps that would be appropriate and safe haskofa wise (and pervert wise?)
Many thanks!!!

shirachadasha

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 8:20 pm
Find a Pediatric Endocrinologist who works with a nutritionist.
You can PM me with questions.

de_goldy

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 8:33 pm
Skip the exercise classes and certainly no mention of 'fat camps' !! I am horrified!

Get him into spending some time outdoors or playing ball with friends. Start cooking more healthily for the whole family. Get him biking with friends or to school. etc. etc.

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 9:49 pm
de_goldy wrote:
Skip the exercise classes and certainly no mention of 'fat camps' !! I am horrified!

Get him into spending some time outdoors or playing ball with friends. Start cooking more healthily for the whole family. Get him biking with friends or to school. etc. etc.

precisely.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 4:22 am
First of all, you can't be the food police because he will resent you. 2ndly, it can't just be about him. Everyone in your famuily needs to be in on this.

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 4:25 am
Soccer? Swimming? Baseball? Basketball? There's gotta be something he'd be interested in.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 6:04 am
6"4 and 220 is just slightly overweight, which according to most studies is perfectly healthy. Your son is clearly going to be a "big guy" and that's okay, as long as he has a healthy lifestyle. If he eats mostly junk and never moves his body then you should try to figure out how he can make healthy choices a value for him, but because it is HEALTHY and not because you are concerned about his weight. If he eats normally now and is active then DON"T WORRY. The absolute worst thing you can do is give him a complex about his weight, because that is precisely how slightly chubby kids turn into obese adults.

From personal experience.

Barbara

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 7:33 am
amother wrote:
OK, so my 11 year old son has always been a bit chubby. I've talked to the pediatrician, who mapped out his projected growth based on his height/weight history, and he says the kid will end up being about 6'4" and 220#. I insisted on blood work to check for thyroid problems, and that was all normal. He slimmed down a bit during his first summer at sleep away camp, but this school year he has really packed on the weight. I weighed him tonight and he is 142 pounds. He's probably about 5' even.
So, what do you do with a Chassidishe boy in Boro Park who needs to lose weight? Are there any exercise classes, or summer fat camps that would be appropriate and safe haskofa wise (and pervert wise?)
Many thanks!!!

Its wonderful that you're interested in helping your son.

A lot of kids chunk up before a growth spurt, so that may be what you're seeing.

Nevertheless, I'd suggest talking to a nutritionist about food choices and intake. At his age and weight, I don't think that the goal will be weight loss so much as weight maintenance -- not gaining as much as he grows.

Now is the perfect age for him to start incorporating lifelong fitness habits into his routines. Riding a bike or walking to school, if possible. Playing ball in the park or in a local league. Swimming, Tennis. Whatever it is that he would enjoy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics