Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Cleaning the Pump

shatzileh

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 9:51 pm
I've recently returned to work and am pumping. I'm ok with the pumping itself, but all the prep is driving me crazy, specifically cleaning the pump so thoroughly each time. I was wondering if any of you have any advice, anecdotal or otherwise, to help speed up the process or make it more enjoyable. (Yes, I'm hoping for "Oh, I just rinse it well after each use and sterilize it once a week," although I don't really plan on hearing that.) I'm using the Medela pump-in-style.

luvsdarkchocolate

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 10:46 pm
This is coming from someone who exclusively pumped for 16.5 months because my dd would not latch.

My lactation consultant said there is no need to sterilize regularly unless your baby was sick, had thrush or something along those lines.

If I was pumping and the pump was going to be refrigerated, I did not wash it in between each time. If I pumped 2 or 3 times at work in a day, I would use the same pump each time and wash when I got home.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 11:44 pm
I agree with the above poster that it's unlikely that your baby needs sterilized equipment. It's worth asking the pediatrician or someone else who is knowledgeable.

I have a separate "dishpan" (plastic rubbermaid container that 's the size of a shoe box) and bottle brush for bottles and pumping gear. I also have a "bottle tree". It's made by Baby King and I got it at a dollar store. I wash the equipment and then I pack it when it dries.

Initially, I found this all to be very tiring but after a number of months, I got it down to a routine and it wasn't too bad.

tovas

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 12:04 am
I had two sets of the all the parts so that I did not have to wash anything at work. Also I used microwave sterilization bags - all you have to do is rinse the equipment and microwave in the bag (if I remember correctly) It was awhile ago but check out the bags, they are made my medela.

IloveHashem613

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 1:18 am
I used these, they were a lifesaver when I pumped at work and I introduced them to a few friends who were very thankful that I did.
http://www.amazon.com/Medela-Q.....CXLNE

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 9:28 am
Sterilize? Unless your baby is a preemie or immuno-compromised, I would not worry one iota.

I never cleaned the parts between pumpings at work (forget about sterilizing, I didn't even rinse!) as breastmilk can be left out safely for up to 8 hours, and I was pumping at about 3 hour intervals.

At home, I washed in very warm, sudsy water.

If you have a dishwasher, that is hot enough to sterilize.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 10:58 am
I usually wash with hot water and soap in between each use and I used to sterilise also but if I couldnt get to wash them (eg at work) I would just reuse and wash and sterilise when I got home (atleast once a day).
Now ds is rolling around on the floor and eating solids I am not so careful about sterilising the pump parts...usually once when I remember or have patience to set everything up...but I do try and wash between each use with hot hot water and soap.

ChaniH

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 12:13 pm
I just let it soak in hot water n soap (although I don't boil the nipples from his bottle )

ml2192

Post Thu, Nov 03 2011, 10:12 pm
I also do not clean the flanges etc between pumpings at work. As mentioned above, breastmilk is good for a long time even at RT. I keep them in a cooler with the bottles of milk and some icepacks. SOmetimes I put it in the fridge at work and sometimes I am too lazy. Then I let it soak it hot water with soap when I get home at night and just rinse and let dry for the next morning. I spoke to a lactation consultant at the hospital where I work and she said this should be fine.

Smiling Wife

Post Fri, Nov 04 2011, 12:16 am
Just like you refrigerate the milk, put the pump in a ziptop bag and refrigerate it until next use... I am not going by the book but worked for me.

Redbird

Post Fri, Nov 04 2011, 12:56 am
"Oh, I just rinse it well after each use and sterilize it once a week"!!! Thats me! (before the weekend I wash well with soap and hot water) I dont believe this makes me a bad mom. My boss doesnt want me to take a long pumping break.

Smiling Wife

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 1:19 am
Oh and by the way
Hooray Yes Yes Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Salut Salut Salut Salut Applause Applause Applause Applause Thumbs Up
...for doing it ( pumping) , it is amazing, big yasher koach!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 1:39 am
I agree with smiling wife! I couldnt last more than 2 and a half months pumping. I was sooo stressful for me...ur amazing Smile

Mommy F.

Post Sun, Nov 06 2011, 6:44 am
They can be washed in the dish washer too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics